David Williams

2019 Fleet Deployment

4 minutes ago, David Williams said:

The BDS is shown on the freight site as runnning to Santander and Bilbao from Portsmouth.

Maybe it will become freight only to reduce costs.

Oh I see I clearly missed that thanks. Hmm I wonder what the logic in that idea is? 

29 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Has anyone tried booking Normandie to Le Havre after the 9th July next year to see if they are marketing her as 'Economie' or 'full-fat' BF? Ed. 

Yes, in August overnight from Le Havre and the price was the same as MSM on the Thursday overnight crossing on the same day. In the end decided the best timing for us was Armorique from Roscoff though.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

Was interested to see if that would be the case! But the real truth will be in 2020 timetables (whether they swap or not)

So is Spain going to be down two sailings next season? I wonder if BF are trying to organise a temporary replacement for BDS or an charter extension? I'm guessing using Etretat might be too risky given the knock on effect should Honfleur be delayed? Interesting times...

Doesn't MSM have the bigger pax capacity still (than Honfleur) - isn't this why she does the Friday night sailing now?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Doesn't MSM have the bigger pax capacity still (than Honfleur) - isn't this why she does the Friday night sailing now?

Yes that's correct. I mentioned before that this could potentially be the case. I may have confused with the 2020 comment (someone mentioned it might be a 'bedding in' move). I personally think keeping MSM on friday nights is logical. 

• Thanks 1

Re, the Normandie dog cabins, they will help with the flexible transition to the Honfleur as if/ when the Honfleur is late, dog cabins will still be available and when it goes on the Le Havre route it will replace the Etretat that has some.

However, it does mean that I will redouble my efforts to not have a deck 6 cabin, they are bad enough at the moment with the sound of car alarms !

Edited by David Williams

4 hours ago, David Williams said:

Re, the Normandie dog cabins, they will help with the flexible transition to the Honfleur as if/ when the Honfleur is late, dog cabins will still be available and when it goes on the Le Havre route it will replace the Etretat that has some.

However, it does mean that I will redouble my efforts to not have a deck 6 cabin, they are bad enough at the moment with the sound of car alarms !

It will be interesting where they do put them. The website says 12 cabins and there blocks of 12/13 on Deck 5, which are out the way. However, they'll need to have access to an exercise area so it is difficult to say right now. 

I have booked 2 crossings on the Normandie before it transfers to Le Havre both with pet friendly cabins. The tickets show the cabins are on deck 5 within the block 5304-5315

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2018 at 12:23, Fine Whine said:

My contact at BF towers here in Roscoff has just confirmed Connemara sailings will be added later...

Chris

Good intel Chris.  Of course, this can be taken two ways.  It might be postitive.  On the other hand, it confirms that the omission of Connemara from the published schedules at present is intentional rather than something they have “just not got round to doing yet”.  In which case the question arises as to why.  Is it because they have not yet decided?

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Good intel Chris.  Of course, this can be taken two ways.  It might be postitive.  On the other hand, it confirms that the omission of Connemara from the published schedules at present is intentional rather than something they have “just not got round to doing yet”.  In which case the question arises as to why.  Is it because they have not yet decided?

I spoke to the Irish site and they said that the sailings would be relisheased at the start of September.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

Spot on Gareth; my French contact was in the shop yesterday and they basically haven’t decided yet, whereas my contact at BF in the UK is very keen it carries on through the winter. I get the feeling the whole Connemara episode is still a sore point between the management and unions here in Roscoff. If the company are seen to be cutting back services (and therefore staff) on regular routes while keeping the non-French staffed ship going all year round, there could be a backlash or at the very least a bit of a rumpus...

As HT used to say, we’ll just have to wait and see......:ph34r::ph34r:

Chris

It’s not in the published schedules but from what I can make of what has been published, I think Pont Aven must be making a one-off Plymouth - St Malo crossing on the evening of Thursday 1 November.

She arrives in Plymouth, as usual, at 1615 on that Thursday at the end of the last Santander - Plymouth crossing of the season, and is then scheduled to take a 1230 departure from St Malo to Portsmouth on Friday 2 November.  There must be a Plymouth - St Malo departure on the Thursday night.  Not being advertised so I don’t know whether it will be commercial or not.

That same night, 1 November, there must also be a Portsmouth - Roscoff sailing by Bretagne.  She arrives into Portsmouth on Thursday evening at the end of her usual day sailing from St Malo.  And then her next scheduled departure is the following Friday evening with the last Roscoff - Cork departure of the season.

Again, don’t know whether the Portsmouth - Roscoff crossing is bookable.

Seems a strange switch - Pont Aven is covering Bretagne at Portsmouth for the weekend while Bretagne closes Cork for the season.  Bretagne then resumes Portsmouth - St Malo straight afterwards.  I’m sure there must be some reason for these antics but it beats me what it might be!

10 minutes ago, Gareth said:

It’s not in the published schedules but from what I can make of what has been published, I think Pont Aven must be making a one-off Plymouth - St Malo crossing on the evening of Thursday 1 November.

She arrives in Plymouth, as usual, at 1615 on that Thursday at the end of the last Santander - Plymouth crossing of the season, and is then scheduled to take a 1230 departure from St Malo to Portsmouth on Friday 2 November.  There must be a Plymouth - St Malo departure on the Thursday night.  Not being advertised so I don’t know whether it will be commercial or not.

Not in the timetable list, but bookable from 'ferry booking'.  Cheap too at present!

21 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Seems a strange switch - Pont Aven is covering Bretagne at Portsmouth for the weekend while Bretagne closes Cork for the season.  Bretagne then resumes Portsmouth - St Malo straight afterwards.  I’m sure there must be some reason for these antics but it beats me what it might be!

May just be finger trouble when putting the timetable in the booking system. The Bretagne sailing is a bit strange.

I remember something about this now - it may have been discussed before.  Pont Aven is in St Malo for most of that weekend for the Route du Rhum.  No doubt extra capacity is needed on the St Malo route for that as well.  So they must have concluded that Bretagne will be better used at Cork where, presumably, traffic is by then expected to be lighter.

After covering at St Malo, Pont Aven has a single Portsmouth - Santander trip on Tuesday 6 November before coming off-service for a couple of weeks.  I wonder if this means that, for the first time, Pont Aven will be dry-docked at Astanders?

51 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I remember something about this now - it may have been discussed before.  Pont Aven is in St Malo for most of that weekend for the Route du Rhum.  No doubt extra capacity is needed on the St Malo route for that as well.  So they must have concluded that Bretagne will be better used at Cork where, presumably, traffic is by then expected to be lighter.

We did discuss it before yes, and as she's the sponsor's flagship someone pointed out that she will be used as a platform to watch the departure of the race from out in the Bay of St Malo. 

Here is the previous thread:

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Thanks 1

Thank Ed, yes I remember that one now.  In which case, my apologies for digging up old ground.  But it was mainly the associated positioning trips that I was drawing attention to.

On reflection I am not quite sure why Bretagne is not running Portsmouth - St Malo on the night of 1 Nov, and then transferring in ballast to Roscoff.  She’ll only be spending the day swanning around in Roscoff anyway, and an in-ballast passage from Roscoff back to St Malo is clearly the plan on Sunday 4 November.