Sign in to follow this  
Halfcrown

Booking site swamped?

Bookings for next season have now opened, but the site is failing - I got 90% the way through making a booking, and then it told me to try later. Now I can't even get onto the site in the first place.

arrrgghhh!

9 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Maybe more reliable to phone up and wait in the queue.

As Ed says it is likely to be the annual race for dog friendly cabins.

Nope - tried phoning, but I just get engaged - can't get onto the queue

Eventually after 11 attempts online my payment went through. The joys of living in Northern Ireland .. 1440 euro !!!! return for a car and 5 pax ..... Cork/Roscoff.

The pressure for pet-friendly cabins to Spain is even higher in 2019 as they are no longer running the BDS - so it's just the CF  (apart from when the Etretat appears to be depping for her in the early spring).

Oh dear....

Sorry

The Brittany Ferries website is currently unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Please contact our Reservations Team on 0330 159 5010 (or 021 4277 801 for Ireland).

1 hour ago, Geezer said:

Eventually after 11 attempts online my payment went through. The joys of living in Northern Ireland .. 1440 euro !!!! return for a car and 5 pax ..... Cork/Roscoff.

That's not bad for 5 of you to be fair! :)

3 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

That's not bad for 5 of you to be fair! :)

I know, given where we live ... but how much would we pay to hop on a ferry to France from the likes of Dover ? ... a heck of a bit cheaper I would think ... I'm not complaining, it's just the nature of the beast, it's just the difference between living here and living on the mainland.

• Thanks 1

I've just tried about 24 times in a row to book my October 2019 crossings - I got as far as entering the payment details 6 teams, and not so far the remainder of the time...

Takes me back 20 years to when i was testing the new booking system my team had just developed for Irish Ferries...

but thinking back to then, this web site crashing about must be playing havoc with cabin allocation - because each time I get to the bit where I select the cabins, it will be holding the availability for me temporarily, to be released back when my booking unless my booking is completed. The people supporting the booking engine must be just a bit stressed out at the moment!

Try using the mobile site on a phone instead of a PC if you can. It might be better. No guarantees but I've oven found it to be the case with other service providers like Ticket-Master and the SNCF when allocations are released. Ed. 

8 minutes ago, Halfcrown said:

I've just tried about 24 times in a row to book my October 2019 crossings - I got as far as entering the payment details 6 teams, and not so far the remainder of the time...

Exactly what happened to me .. so annoying.

The economie ferry is running for the dates I booked over the phone. December this year Santander to Portsmouth, Sept 2019 Portsmouth to Bilbao. These were not showing online and the agent I spoke to in the booking centre said there was a problem with the economie ferry bookings so they had removed it from the website but you can still book over the phone

Utter shambles, and yes, I'm a dog owner, but the crossing to Spain I book in early Dec for the motorhome is not very popular, being the Sunday night 2 night crossing - but quick out the blocks Tues morning.

Another thing, most of Feb early March only Etretat is running and since they have no kennels only a few Pet Friendly cabins by the time I got on the website the PF Cabins were all gone.  So we're stuck in Spain!!

No wonder a lot of motorhomers go by the Chunnel.

Just an idea for next time but could you not have booked a crossing for October 2018 and then today simply amended it to the dates you really want next tear without the need to go through the entire booking, and crucially payment, process. I wonder if that would have been quicker if it was the online payment system holding everyone up. Ed. 

Just looked to amend a booking and this comes up :-

Future Bookings

Amend an Existing Booking

Amend or view your booking online. Please select the item from the following list.

There are currently no existing bookings

I hope that the whole system has not crashed????

46 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just an idea for next time but could you not have booked a crossing for October 2018 and then today simply amended it to the dates you really want next tear without the need to go through the entire booking, and crucially payment, process. I wonder if that would have been quicker if it was the online payment system holding everyone up. Ed. 

Don't know if that would work or not.  I got logged out at various stages, from the page before payment to quite early on. Couldn't get through on the phone.

Surely this can be sorted, even if it means spending money on new systems, as there will be a lot of people not very gruntled?  Plenty of comments on their Twitter page.

Me being one of them, mainly because we will have to drive up through France for the return.

As someone who never  books far ahead (my doctor would laugh at my audacity if I did) , and one who sometimes changes a return booking just a day or two in advance I'm a bit bemused by all this.

I booked on Pont Aven a few weeks ago - out of Plymouth overnight on 9th August - hardly low season -  but as of yesterday there was still a choice of five grades of cabin for that sailing .  Is it just the dog owners who are agitatated, or there others who are clinically anxious?  What a fuss.

Edited by wortley
  • Like 2

I booked Caen for July 13th next year and the payment was very slow. Honfleur's top cabins are already sold out for the Saturday morning Pompey sailing.

5 minutes ago, jonno said:

I booked Caen for July 13th next year and the payment was very slow. Honfleur's top cabins are already sold out for the Saturday morning Pompey sailing.

There is a theory that the decent cabins are not on sale at present in case you end on the Normandie. Are they on sale for any crossing ?