BobCrox

Plymouth - Roscoff disadvantaged again

Roscoff is certainly very exposed, especially to winds with any North in them.  Apart from the immediate lee of the berth there is no breakwater at all.  Plymouth has the breakwater protecting the Sound so I wouldn’t have thought much swell could get into the Sound.  Poole has one of the biggest natural harbours in the world, with a tiny narrow entrance, so I can’t see how it would be possible to get better shelter from agotated seas than in there.

Ah yes, experts. Not to be trusted, eh? Especially when they "bang on" about things.

I haven't done enough Biscay crossings to be an expert on ocean conditions, but I do live in SW France, and I can say that we have had extremes of weather this year. Endless rain with lots of storms in spring. Endless sun and high temps during the summer - and it continues.

I had thought that this kind of weather is exactly what the "experts" said we would have.

It's difficult to plan for, but it seems to me that BF and the port authorities do need to expect the worst and plan for it.

• Like 2

On 09/09/2018 at 19:48, Gareth said:

Roscoff is certainly very exposed, especially to winds with any North in them.  Apart from the immediate lee of the berth there is no breakwater at all.  Plymouth has the breakwater protecting the Sound so I wouldn’t have thought much swell could get into the Sound.  Poole has one of the biggest natural harbours in the world, with a tiny narrow entrance, so I can’t see how it would be possible to get better shelter from agotated seas than in there.

The Breakwater is submerged at high spring tide and Southerly gales do cause a swell in the sound and in Millbay.

Just had an e-mail with the latest ferry offer, there's only one week you can use it on Ply/Ros.  Most of the period there's no ferry and you can't book for the holiday period.

If the French are like the spanish ,when there is down turn in bookings they put the prices up,not like brits who put prices down to try and get more customers.

22 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Today Nov 1st-

Big cheese from BF on BBC 1 midday spotlight prog talking about the downturn of bookings for 2019 holidays. Probably repeated at 6.30 after the news at 6.

Not good at all.

SFD

It may be a downturn in advance holiday bookings for 2019 compared to previous years but that can only be good news for travellers as the discounts offered as the months pass will be more substantial. The only way to be sure there is a real trend would be to know if advance bookings for 2019 stay-cations are up by a similar number. If not, then people have simply not decided yet. Ed. 

Good point. It may provide BF with more security and discourage cancellations but, in the context, could have been a bit of an own goal. 

My UK family have already booked (with us) a house in the Dordogne for a couple of weeks in August next year but have not yet booked any transport across the channel. They are waiting to see what happens but I suspect they'll take the tunnel and time their crossings to coincide with the cheapest fares. Ed. 

Despite my previously aired opinion on French prices, we have booked 2 weeks in a delightful cottage (hopefully the reports on it are all correct) in Massignac next summer. Very reasonably priced and the owner is happy to be paid in Sterling. So in that sense we are bucking the trend. Because we booked with Holiday France Direct, being part of BF, we have received a 20% discount on ferry crossings. So just having fun working out the various route permutation and costs..although Mrs P is addicted to the seafood buffet lunch on the Bretagne, so returning from St Malo looks a given..

Just got to start saving now 😭 planning our post Brexit visa applications,in triplicate of course, as well as the going to be required multiple vaccine injections(or is that just for cats and dogs?) as well as up to date CRB checks 🤣🤣😂..and allowing an hours waiting time in the Aliens Queue at St Malo....Ouistreham will be worse I think......

Edited by Paully

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

Big cheese from BF on BBC 1 midday spotlight prog talking about the downturn of bookings for 2019 holidays

Discussing this with someone in the holiday business in France they suggested that AirB&B are taking a lot of bookings away from Brittany Ferries' holiday business.

We’ve never booked a Gite or caravan with BF , always found it cheaper and easier to book with Yelloh,Gites de France or a similar French company , to be honest BFs holiday booking system isn’t the best and the choice is fairly limited and their company “Holiday France direct” in my opinion has one of the worst search engines in the travel industry I gave up on them ages ago, the merger of Gites de France and Clevacances is a sign of how strong Airbnb is in the market.