Sign in to follow this  
Angel

Flexible Pricing

Today, whilst attempting to book a crossing for early next year I noticed the following statement at the stage where you select your crossing date and time

"These prices are intended to help you choose your journey(s) and they are subject to change. In some cases, the price may be different later on in the booking process if the availability has changed. The exact total will be presented on Step 4 of the booking process"

I realise BF prices have been flexible for several years now but wasn't aware they were so dynamic that they may change mid booking.  Is this something new or have I just not noticed the statement before?

The only things I can think of to perhaps explain that are:

A) if you start your booking with a standard height car with a trailer (over 6 metres), say, and then by the time you have chosen your cabins etc there is no more space on the car deck and they have to put you with the camper-vans etc. There may be a supplement for the position as they have a price per slot for different length vehicles on that deck.

B) if you want a ticket for NEX but all the standard seats are taken they might simply allocate Club-class seats automatically with the inevitable price hike included. 

Ed. 

• Thanks 1

BF sell so many crossings say 100 at a certain price so if you’re number 99 when you start booking and by the time you’ve chosen which cabin you’re going to have you might be number 101 and the price could have gone up £50 or so , not likely but not impossible, it’s been like that for a while now.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Millsy said:

The technical name is legalised theft and it should be stopped once and for all.

Petty larceny on a personal level is theft. Grand larceny on an industrial scale is economics... honest Guv.

• Like 1

No different to the air or hotel industries that have yield management style pricing.

Travelodge even give hints on how to seek out the cheapest tier prices, if you are that way inclined. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Millsy said:

It's still legalised theft.

Megabus, National Express etc, & Railways too.... I am not aware of any part of the travel industry which does not do this now? Cruise companies definitely have fluctuating prices - but I am not sure to the same extent!?

Cruise companies are all over the place on pricing, they are desperate not to let a ship sail with vacant berths. Usually opening low offers, then the price rises and if there are unsold berths as the departure date approaches they are either sold off cheap or loaded with incentives such as onboard spend, free parking etc.

Over the years the Western Channel hasn't seen the percentage increases that the Strait has. I think mile for mile BF's longer sea routes to France are far cheaper anyway plus CV irons out the wrinkles.

If I want to take the van across from Dover on one of P&O's premier tickets it's £260 return which for the short time your at sea and the bog standard on board facilities is ludicrous. I find both theirs and Stena's pricing structure more pocket picking than BF's flexible approach.

• Like 1

I’m always amazed how popular the Newcastle ferry is compared to day the StMalo crossing a good £200 dearer in our case for our summer holiday and that’s not including the CV discount, but it seems to get good footfall.

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:34, cvabishop said:

Cruise companies are all over the place on pricing, they are desperate not to let a ship sail with vacant berths. Usually opening low offers, then the price rises and if there are unsold berths as the departure date approaches they are either sold off cheap or loaded with incentives such as onboard spend, free parking etc.

As cruisers ourselves there are many bargains to be had at ridiculous discounts - we have been on cruises paying a few thousand pounds only to find passengers in similar cabins who booked last minute (i.e. a few days before sailings) have paid a few hundred pounds... If you are able to go on these holidays at the drop of a hat (perhaps being retired) then you can grab many a bargain. It is exactly the same for air travel and ferry travel....

29 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

As cruisers ourselves there are many bargains to be had at ridiculous discounts - we have been on cruises paying a few thousand pounds only to find passengers in similar cabins who booked last minute (i.e. a few days before sailings) have paid a few hundred pounds... If you are able to go on these holidays at the drop of a hat (perhaps being retired) then you can grab many a bargain. It is exactly the same for air travel and ferry travel....

The cruise market is more reactive though. They want every single cabin/stateroom filled because the occupant is often onboard and spending for some time. Ferries revenue management are not quite equally comparable, you will not find the price of a Poole - Cherbourg for example suddenly drop because there are only 70 people booked on the night before the sailing...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

The cruise market is more reactive though. They want every single cabin/stateroom filled because the occupant is often onboard and spending for some time. Ferries revenue management are not quite equally comparable, you will not find the price of a Poole - Cherbourg for example suddenly drop because there are only 70 people booked on the night before the sailing...

As you probably know most cruises are mostly fully inclusive so spending onboard is not an issue - most spending takes place on land in the ports visited.

As you probably know most cruises are mostly fully inclusive so spending onboard is not an issue - most spending takes place on land in the ports visited.

No way! The cruise lines have all sorts of methods to part you from your money onboard over and above the basic all inclusive price!  That is where they make much of their profit!  Much of it in the bars! Shore excursions are just irritating incidentals for them.

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

No way! The cruise lines have all sorts of methods to part you from your money onboard over and above the basic all inclusive price!  That is where they make much of their profit!  Much of it in the bars! Shore excursions are just irritating incidentals for them.

Never experienced this ? Never paid for drinks on board as always prepay a drinks package  - don't do the cruise excursions as always arrange our own locally in Port. Of course many passengers are not aware of these savings and as you say they help keep the cost down for regular cruisers.....

Drinks packages are not always a bargain we have found. And you need to drink a lot to recover the cost. Hic! Do you really want to drink that much?

Yes you can avoid all the extras but enough people don't to make them nice litte earners for the cruise companies.

Basic cruise packages are being dumbed down and no longer include stuff that used to be taken for granted.

Personally I couldn’t care less about cruise prices as they don’t affect and aren’t relevant to ferry prices , I’m sure there’s a forum to discuss them on.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Drinks packages are not always a bargain we have found. And you need to drink a lot to recover the cost. Hic! Do you really want to drink that much?

Yes you can avoid all the extras but enough people don't to make them nice litte earners for the cruise companies.

Basic cruise packages are being dumbed down and no longer include stuff that used to be taken for granted.

When you are paying £30 for a bottle of wine plus 15%tip and 15% on all other drinks the prepaid packages are far better value - we have always come out on top

As a final note Ferry drink prices are usually on line with 5 star hotel drink prices but BF does allow passengers to bring there own wine/drinks on board whilst most cruise lines don’t 

I looked last night out of interest, could not spot any last minute reduction on today's BF sailings, I was always under the impression prices got higher the closer you booked to the sailing date - shows how much I know!  Perhaps reductions only offered off-peak?  We obviously need a Price Drop Monitor to be appointed! How you fixed Manxscorpio?

• Haha 1

Ferry companies use dynamic pricing, the same as the airlines do..the nearer to the departure date the higher the price..which makes early booking important..

Cruise lines price on a totally different system

11 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I agree - they are constantly trying to get you to buy pictures of yourself and shell out for all kinds of extra gifts and packages!

52 minutes ago, Paully said:

Ferry companies use dynamic pricing, the same as the airlines do..the nearer to the departure date the higher the price..which makes early booking important..

Cruise lines price on a totally different system

It is not just the date though, it's how much space if left on the ship. If the ship is empty, you will still get a bargain near to the departure date...