jonno

New Dover Strait Tonnage for P&O.

On 28/09/2019 at 07:37, hhvferry said:

In an age when your ship can appear in the background to a million social media posts it pays to make it not look like it's an ugly POS. Operators with high standards know that to make their ships look good is to make their brands look good.

I much agree, maybe even for 100%. However, although this would certainly apply for the cruise industry, I see companies spreading the same or similar design over various brands. Princess' Grand-class is seen with P&O Cruises for years and will be seen at P&O Australia very soon. HAL's Vista class is also seen at P&O Cruises, as well as similar designs for Costa, Carnival and Cunard. Carnival and Costa have been sharing otherwise distinctive designs for years, and from Carnival's/Costa's Dream-class one is being built for a new Chinese brand. To make matters worse, AIDAnova will have sisters with Costa, P&O Cruises AND Carnival.

I believe it was Knud E. Hansen himself who said every passenger should believe their ship was the best looking in the port, no matter how many other ships are present. This advise seems long forgotten.

As for the P&O design, I believe the basis is not too bad, although I needs quite a bit of refinement get a wow factor apart from just its size.

1 hour ago, sealynx2 said:

I believe it was Knud E. Hansen himself who said every passenger should believe their ship was the best looking in the port, no matter how many other ships are present. This advise seems long forgotten.

"A Hansen ship is a handsome ship" so the saying went.

They missed the the caption at the Calais end saying 'Outside deck areas to provide viewing platforms of the striking dockworkers/migrant camps/blockading fishermen' (delete as appropriate). Ed. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They missed the the caption at the Calais end saying 'Outside deck areas to provide viewing platforms of the striking dockworkers/migrant camps/blockading fishermen' (delete as appropriate). Ed. 

Blockading fishermen...Hmm we havent had them for some time wonder if they might be making a return anytime soon..I still remember that incident in 1980 when a ferry (think Free Enterprise 2) was blockaded in Cherbourg by the fishermen. The Master was a swashbuckling type who ran their gaunlet stood on the bridge wing wearing a viking helmet with `Land of Hope and Glory` belting out over the tannoys..The fishermen gave way rather quickly, by all accounts..

Edited by Paully
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Paully said:

.Hmm we havent had them for some time wonder if they might be making a return anytime soon.

Well, depending on how the trade agreement negotiations progess, I wouldn't be surprised if they kick up a fuss at some point.  Ed. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Paully said:

I still remember that incident in 1980 when a ferry (think Free Enterprise 2) was blockaded in Cherbourg by the fishermen. The Master was a swashbuckling type who ran their gaunlet stood on the bridge wing wearing a viking helmet with `Land of Hope and Glory` belting out over the tannoys..The fishermen gave way rather quickly, by all accounts..

Actually, it was more dramatic than that.  They caught the fishermen off guard in the night.  Passengers assisted in releasing the mooring lines, and the ship was out of the harbour before the fishermen knew what was going on.  (You’re right Paul, it was FE2).

You’d never get that sort of story nowadays! 🤣

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Hashtag #ohmydays, Hashtag #abomination, Hashtag #notarealferry
😮

The P&O new build or FE2?!

Regarding the former, it looks more like a glorified Isle of Wight ferry!  But a bit too big.

42 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You’d never get that sort of story nowadays!

BF directors taking MSM from Caen?

17 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The P&O new build or FE2?!

Regarding the former, it looks more like a glorified Isle of Wight ferry!  But a bit too big.

Yep - the former Gareth! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

BF directors taking MSM from Caen?

True.  Almost - although BF directors are still employees.  Imagine trying to persuade a few passengers these days to just hop ashore, take the lines off, then jump back on! 🤣

9 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

The design's looking pretty good to me.

I rather like it too. If you strip away the bow and stern docking structures then the overall look is quite pleasing. Ed. 

6 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps they should add that views of the White Cliffs are not a feature of the ship and entirely weather dependent... as for 'panoramic sea views', perhaps someone should tell P&O the rest of us call them 'windows'

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I rather like it too. If you strip away the bow and stern docking structures then the overall look is quite pleasing. Ed. 

I found closing my eyes improves it no end.

• Haha 6

Turning must add 15 or so mins to each crossing? Sonit could be quite a time saver.

Quite like the designs, agree they look like the Isle of Wight or Scandlines ones on steroids. Still waiting to hear what P & O plan to do with the Zeebrugge boats. Although both have better reputations than most of the Dover fleet!

Yes, I suspect you’re right Ed.  A ship that is moored and not configured for departure probably does not have a port or starboard.  (Or, by extension, a bow or a stern, which seems odd - they must have some way of orientating where is where on the ship).  As soon as the ship is configured for travel in a particular direction (lights, ensigns, bridge etc) then it must assume that orientation.

I suspect that internally there must be some designation of bow and stern for ship housekeeping purposes.  But this will have no significance at sea.  For the purposes of col regs, it will be direction of travel, lights and ensigns that will determine the official bow and stern.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Williams said:

Which side of a double ended ship is Port ?

I suspect you avoid reference to Port/Starboard/Stern/Bow by naming the ends and sides eg 'France end', 'UK end' and relegate Port/Starboard/Stern/Bow for being for navigational purposes in relation to the direction of travel only.

The old Netley Castle didn’t bother with port or starboard internally they used East side and West side.

The St Clare does have a dedicated bow, heading towards Fishbourne, that’s the bow, the anchors are that end and the bulwarks higher than the stern, also there are a couple of extra switch, other mace lights etc, to flick, one is for the heading on the compass and the other is for the AIS, if the AIS wasn’t changed, when looking on MarineTraffic she would appear to be heading backwards across the Solent. 

An interesting point, when she came from  the builders in Poland, halfway her Autopilot stopped working, couldn’t get it to reset so they just stopped, turned around and came backwards the rest of the way home, obviously she had two autopilots. For long time, a few years, it was never fixed and you could only have the pilot on going back to Portsmouth.

Edited by Jim
Merged a double-post
  • Like 3