Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

Armorique is replacing Barfleur between 8 -13 December while Barfleur has maintenance work done. Only availability for a daytrip on Arm both ways with an 18.30 departure to Poole would be Sunday 9th, as the 10th, 11th and 12th are overnights back.  

17 hours ago, Khaines said:

Armorique is replacing Barfleur between 8 -13 December while Barfleur has maintenance work done. Only availability for a daytrip on Arm both ways with an 18.30 departure to Poole would be Sunday 9th, as the 10th, 11th and 12th are overnights back.  

Just be thankful you have sailings, you could be in Plymouth.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Solo said:

Just be thankful you have sailings, you could be in Plymouth.

It isn’t a moan, Solo, just heads up info for those who want to do a day trip without doing an overnighter back.  Many take a trip on her while she is here, so passing on a bit of useful info.  Sunday is the only both way day trip this time so book up quickly.  I am, looking forward to it.

'Normandie Express' has moved around to the Syncrolift for her annual maintenance. 'Normandie Express' is expected to move to Le Havre in November where she will be laid-up for the Winter.

Image from The SMS Group.

1.JPG

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

Whats NEX like to travel on?..The few videos I`ve seen of her, inside, it sounds rather noisy with not much deck space outside..Must be horrendous if you get school hordes on at the same time...The good thing is thats its quicker..

its not too bad. We were on it at half term (May), both days were Saturdays and it was pretty much full. Made for interesting scenes with people struggling a bit to get into their cars but there seemed to be a seat for everyone on board. My sons really liked it - to the extent that they don't want to go on the over night Bretagne route, even with a Commodore cabin. Shame. Still, really is a a lot faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Whats NEX like to travel on?..The few videos I`ve seen of her, inside, it sounds rather noisy with not much deck space outside..Must be horrendous if you get school hordes on at the same time...The good thing is thats its quicker..

She's great, but not very pleasant in bad weather. If like me (most of the time) you just actually want to arrive rather than enjoy getting somewhere then she's perfect. As such she satisfies a smaller percentage of the public, and certainly those on this forum, than the classic ferries but is a useful addition to the fleet. There is a seat for everyone as there is no alternative accommodation and the catering, shopping and entertainment options reflect the short crossing time. If she didn't have to pootle slowly into PIP and instead offloaded in somewhere like Weymouth, where you can steam in and (figuratively) slam on the brakes at the last moment, the crossing would be over in two and a half hours. Ed. 

• Like 1

Now now, chaps, let’s have less of this chit-chat about ferries shall we?!  Haven’t you got more important things to talk about?! 😁

(But seriously, yes Ed, I think you’re right.  Weymouth is the only south coast central Channel port that really lends itself to fast-ferry operation, for the reasons you mentioned.  Well - from the point of view of the actual ferry journey.  Time to get in and out of the port is a different matter - and of course, as we will no doubt be reminded, Weymouth is no longer a ferry port).

• Haha 1

If she didn't have to pootle slowly into PIP and instead offloaded in somewhere like Weymouth, where you can steam in and (figuratively) slam on the brakes at the last moment, the crossing would be over in two and a half hours. 

Very true but the reality is that these craft create large holes in the water at speed and if you are in a small yacht or pleasure craft (as I have been in the past) the consequences are at best unpleasant and even dangerous.

What’s the plans for the cruise ferry ships refit wise this year ? I noticed the sink in my deluxe cabin in Pont Aven was showing a good bit of wear and tear , time for a bigger refit for her?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paully said:

Deck space is VERY limited at the back.  I have been on her several times, she is fine.  Never been on her with school parties though so cannot comment on that one, but as far as noise levels go, not too bad.  I quite like her, found her great fun.

• Like 1

The following vessels in the Brittany Ferries Fleet will be going for Refit/Annual Maintenance during the winter season this year:

Armorique
Baie de Seine
Cap Finistere
Normandie
Pont Aven

Normandie Express - Refit in Cherbourg until November 2018

It's currently unconfirmed which vessels will be going where. #BFRefits

25 minutes ago, Paully said:

Many thanks to all for your updates re NEX..she`s lurking on the edge of possibilities for next year at the moment...

Go on, take the plunge. Ed. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:
The following vessels in the Brittany Ferries Fleet will be going for Refit/Annual Maintenance during the winter season this year:

Armorique
Baie de Seine
Cap Finistere
Normandie
Pont Aven

Normandie Express - Refit in Cherbourg until November 2018

It's currently unconfirmed which vessels will be going where. #BFRefits

The cap seems to go annually, is there a reason for it? Is Bretagne not due a visit too? Gdansk was 2 years ago if I remember correctly? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tumnus2010 said:

The cap seems to go annually, is there a reason for it? Is Bretagne not due a visit too? Gdansk was 2 years ago if I remember correctly? 

'Bretagne' hasn't been mentioned in the list I got but she will be laid up in Le Havre from December 2018 until March 2019 so work will be done then I expect. 'Cap Finistere' is off for 6 weeks this time, I'm sure last year was shorter.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

On 25/09/2018 at 22:21, Tumnus2010 said:

Probably as it’s one of the few ships BF actually own 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

'Normandie Express, currently undergoing her refit and annual maintenance, is scheduled to depart Cherbourg early next Saturday (13th October) heading to Le Havre where she will be laid-up for the winter season. She is due to arrive in Le Havre at 11:30 local time.

1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Before going back to St Malo at the beginning of November I suppose for the official start of the Route du Rhum. Ed. 

That's the rumour, although I haven't heard any different.

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Before going back to St Malo at the beginning of November I suppose for the official start of the Route du Rhum. Ed. 

'Bretagne' has been chartered for the start of the Route du Rhum as her sailing on November 4th has been cancelled, but Pont-Aven is a possibility. There's been no mention of the Normandie Express being chartered but I expect she will be just like last time.

Edited by TonyMWeaver