Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

2 minutes ago, Greenfloyd said:

Agreed but that still does give them some time to get the brush out. Im just suprised that a premium brand would allow their shps to look so bad.

They are all too busy directing traffic or cleaning the cabins (supposedly) to be bothered with painting. Ed. 

• Haha 1

Agreed but that still does give them some time to get the brush out. Im just suprised that a premium brand would allow their shps to look so bad.

I think you are being a bit unrealistic there!

Plus cruise ships tend to sail in warmer climes where there is less weather action.

In the past I've seen the PA being painted in Santander, not seen it recently due to being on the evening sailing, do they still do it when at Santander earlier in the day?  I've seen a bloke on the quayside with a roller and some of the outside decks being painted.

Going back to when we had the Friday afternoon Plymouth Roscoff sailing, we once had a crew member tied to the railings painting the hinge on the stern ramp, nice job hanging on the back doing 20 knots, who said health and safety.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I think you are being a bit unrealistic there!

Why?

Ive seen the time it takes a cruise ship able seamen to paint over rust and fender damage many times and it doesnt take long.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greenfloyd said:

Why?

Ive seen the time it takes a cruise ship able seamen to paint over rust and fender damage many times and it doesnt take long.

Yes but they can perhaps then rope off the area concerned and allow it to dry for a few hours before setting sail again. On a BF ferry you are going to get families lining the railings within an hour or so to watch the departure and they'll all end up with sticky white fingers. Ed. 

I think there is also a question of what the 'paint' is. I seem to recall reading that the BF ships have 'coatings' which are supposed to be able to resist the weather better and need careful application to be effective.

I agree that with cruise ships they often just seem to slap on some one part paint on the hull.

Ferries lead a much harder life than cruise ships and in Nortern Europe have to contend with a lot of bad weather which cruise ships normally avoid.

I've been on Bretagne when some of the external steps were roped off and they were replacing the steps between decks  and painting external railings while on passage from St. Malo so they do do some things.

Do the BF vessels have platforms and ropes that can be dropped along the sides of the hull? I've seen them on P & O North Sea vessels but can't remember if BF do have them or not?