Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

If all is well, 'Normandie' is expected to leave Gdansk sometime today (Saturday) and is due to perform a series of short sea trials before she heads home. 'Normandie' is currently scheduled to arrive in Cherbourg late Tuesday/early Wednesday (TBC) where she will be restocked for her Cherbourg to Portsmouth sailing on Thursday evening at 23:00.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

'Normandie' departing the port of Gdansk where she received her refit and new livery. 'Normandie' is bound for Cherbourg, currently expected to arrive on Wednesday.

Image: Robert Wrzeszczansk (Via Facebook)

51132414_2153914208271690_4881903705466601472_o.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Tony, and great photo.

And, hot on the tail of that, CF will sail this evening from Portsmouth on her last crossing to Spain before her refit.  Will call at Roscoff, as usual, tomorrow morning, and then the destination is Santander (rather than Bilbao).  Upon arrival in Santander on Tuesday morning she will destore and then head down to Astanders to receive the new livery.

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Upon arrival in Santander on Tuesday morning she will destore and then head down to Astanders to receive the new livery.

Indeed, I believe she'll be moving to the shipyard on Thursday morning.

Surprisingly, Normandie doesn't look too bad! Of course, I liked the original scheme she had worn since she was built, but unlike Bretagne's new design, this works well. I'd say Armorique and Normandie have come out best so far. 

I'm guessing Cap Finistere will follow suit, and lose one deck stripe. The scheme seems to include striping around the bow and stern so I'm guessing that too. 

According to a friend in Santander, 'Cap Finistere' will be moved to Astander Shipyard at high tide on Tuesday, approximately 17:15 Spanish time.

As planned, 'Cap Finistere' entered the dry dock at the Astander Shipyard this afternoon. Meanwhile, 'MN Pelican' left the shipyard and is currently doing trials off Santander. The logo on 'MN Pelican' remains unchanged. 

Images thanks to Jose Luis Diaz Campa.

CF2.jpg

P1.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

On 03/02/2019 at 20:25, TonyMWeaver said:

Another shot of 'Normandie' in Gdansk with her new livery.

Image thanks to Robert Wrzeszczansk (Via Facebook)

51454150_2153947014935076_6367180267748065280_n.jpg

Just looking at that photo... it made me think again; she still looks fairly modern for her age... but I always thought one thing is her post-scrubber funnel. It is so vertical and stubby, like a big upright top-hat. If they had managed to angle some of the vertical lines just slightly backwards, (CF style), I think it would been in keeping far more with her existing lines, and still keep a more modern profile.

• Like 1

Looking ahead to the end of the month, and gleaning what I can from the unhelpful timetables on the new website, I notice that BDS' last sailing before refit is 28 Feb Portsmouth to Le Havre.

Given that (a) this is about a week and a half before CF comes back, and (b) she is not finishing down in Spain, I would conclude from that that BDS will not be refitted at Astander.  My prediction is therefore that she will de-store in Le Havre before heading to Rematowa.

But no doubt Tony can confirm or correct that.

Final point of interest - for those bemoaning the state of play on the Spanish routes now - at the start of March we will have a period of around 10 days when all of PA, CF and BDS are off Spanish service!  So the connection will be maintained single-handed by Etretat for a bit.

29 minutes ago, Gareth said:

But no doubt Tony can confirm or correct that.

I'm waiting to find out but according to the schedule in Santander, 'Cap Finistere' is only in the dry dock until Saturday (Feb 9th). Presumably the rest of the work will be done while she's afloat.

According to my contact in Santander @Gareth, he has nothing listed for 'Baie de Seine' in March but he will know more next week when he gets his schedule.

Unless, 'Baie de Seine' is staying in Le Havre for her refit without the use of a dry dock. They repainted 'Bretagne' there.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Hmmm.  Thanks Tony, interesting.  My initial thoughts are (a) 4 days seems an implausibly short time for CF to be in dry dock, and (b) a month off service seems a long time for BDS to just have a repaint in Le Havre.

Meanwhile, Normandie has made good progress back from Poland.  Looks like she is within a couple of hours of getting back to Cherbourg.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Hmmm.  Thanks Tony, interesting.  My initial thoughts are (a) 4 days seems an implausibly short time for CF to be in dry dock, and (b) a month off service seems a long time for BDS to just have a repaint in Le Havre.

It does seem strange, maybe they are just checking her hull. BdS did have a refit in Santander in 2016, does she need a lot of work?

Capture.JPG

10 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Tony, I can't make head or tail of those dates you've quoted. Are they UK format or US format? Ed. 

Not sure why they type them that way, the arrivals seem to be in UK but departures in US. The whole list is the same.

Indeed.  And then returning to the Ouistreham route with the 0815 from Portsmouth on Friday morning.

Armorique’s last sailing is the 0830 from Ouistreham tomorrow (Thursday).  After unloading at Portsmouth at lunchtime tomorrow she will reposition to Roscoff in time to take up her home route with the afternoon departure to Plymouth on Friday.

I am not aware that her Portsmouth - Roscoff sailing is available for booking (?), but I guess she could take freight if there is any?

'Armorique' is now departing Portsmouth bound for Roscoff, and is carrying freight, no dangerous cargo though. Her sailing tomorrow has been brought forward to 11:15 due to the weather.

While 'Baie de Seine' is undergoing refit in Gdansk in March, she will not be getting the new livery.

That’s interesting Tony.  Does that mean she is not getting painted, or is getting painted but in current livery?

If the former - that would be understandable as a cost-saving measure for a fleet leaving the fleet probably next year.  (On the other hand - a refit in Poland is a major logistical undertaking for a ship not being repainted).

If the latter, and she is getting painted but not re-branded, then that is much more intriguing.  That must signify that they haven’t developed an Economie version of the livery (which, in itself, is interesting) and don’t want to make any declarations about a change to BDS’ Economie status while Etretat is still around (which will be for longer than originally planned).

It’s probably the former.  But the latter would be politically intriguing as an inducation of BF not wanting to show their thinking on Economie post-Tat.

She certainly needs painting but she's not getting painted in the new livery. The message I received was "There are no plans on repainting 'Baie de Seine' with the new logo"

If you think about it, 'MN Pelican' didn't get the new logo either, and I highly doubt 'Etretat' ever will.

Edited by TonyMWeaver