Jump to content
Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Armorique' is now departing Portsmouth bound for Roscoff, and is carrying freight, no dangerous cargo though. Her sailing tomorrow has been brought forward to 11:15 due to the weather.

While 'Baie de Seine' is undergoing refit in Gdansk in March, she will not be getting the new livery.

No Suprise on BDS. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armorique is taking an unusual route to Roscoff.  Almost always, when BF ships have made passage from Portsmouth to Roscoff, they have routed down through the Alderney Race and east of Sark, before leaving the St Malo track south of Guernsey to cut across past Sept Iles to Roscoff.  Armorique has, instead, joined the SW-bound main Channel shipping lane, and will presumably set course for Roscoff when clear of the Casquets TSS at the Channel Light Vessel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty blowy out there tonight according to MeteoFrance so perhaps the skipper is trying to get to Roscoff as fast as possible as he doesn't have to worry about the comfort of any passengers. Ed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nodwad said:

Iam missing some thing? I thought it was about refits?

Armorique was providing refit cover while Normandie was away. Last night she was repositioning carrying freight back to Roscoff, hence the comments about the route she was taking to do so. But don't worry, by the time you wake up it will all be over and normal service will have resumed. 😀 Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is that because they have found extra things that need doing over and above the basic inspection the original time frame allowed for? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Is that because they have found extra things that need doing over and above the basic inspection the original time frame allowed for? Ed. 

No, It seems it was always planned that way but the port schedule was wrong. It should be corrected later today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks. That makes more sense. Have a good trip on Normandie and let us know what, if anything, has changed. I'm on her Friday week all being well. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

I was informed yesterday (Sunday) that 'Cap Finistere' will remain in Dry Dock No.2 at Astander until March 3rd.

No surprise there.  As we discussed previously, that 9 Feb date that you found could never possibly have been correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

But the emissions do... Not a good advert for the scrubbers although I assume it is just on start up?

Whilst running the risk of having the p**s taken...

Scrubbers can't be used in any EU port and at berth by vessels with an open loop set up which both Normandie and Barfleur have. They didn't have the space for the bespoke non maritime hybrid system designed by CNIM/LAB which Pont Aven, Armorique. MSM & Cap Finistere have.

To comply they must be burning low sulphur MGO prior to port entry and continue to do so at berth or cold iron.

It's all in the EU Directive 2016/802, the European Union MRV reg's which began 1st Jan 2018 and is highlighted in IMO's Data Collection Scheme (DCS).

The International Council on Combustion Engines (Conseil International des Machines a Combustion) also mention it along with the explosive risks of combining both fuels due to abbreviated tank purging... Their "guidelines for the operation of marine engines on low sulphur diesel" is worthy of a peruse for those interested in such things.

Many northern European passenger ships are beginning to halt their use of the three heavier fuels anyway as it's become scarce & expensive due to the need to stockpile refined fuel prior to the new 0.5% regs which begin next January.

An interesting point...

It's highly unlikely but if entry to port, turnarounds & exit times can be reduced to less than two hours none of the regulations apply...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It's highly unlikely but if entry to port, turnarounds & exit times can be reduced to less than two hours none of the regulations apply..

Oh God! There goes any hope of improvement in cleaning standards then!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gareth said:

The turnround time on the Ouistreham route is 90 minutes.

But add in the entry, exit and manoeuvring time at the berth and you probably go over the two-hour limit. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True.  Probably depends on what “entry into port” and “exit from port” means.  If it means harbour entrance to harbour entrance then that probably would be within 2 hours at the Ouistreham end but more marginal at Portsmouth.  If it means entering port approach channel to leaving port approach channel then Ouistreham becomes very marginal and Portsmouth would have no hope.  To get from the Nab tower, into port, out of port and back out to the Nab within 2 hours would probably leave you with about 15 minutes alongside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing harbour entrance in Portsmouth (or wherever restrictions take effect in Ouistreham for example) due to the impact of pollution on the neighbouring communities and other port users. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2019 at 16:14, TonyMWeaver said:

She certainly needs painting but she's not getting painted in the new livery. The message I received was "There are no plans on repainting 'Baie de Seine' with the new logo"

If you think about it, 'MN Pelican' didn't get the new logo either, and I highly doubt 'Etretat' ever will.

Pelican only an A3 print-out, stuck on with prit-stick the first time around. What hope is there now!!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonno said:

Whilst running the risk of having the p**s taken...

Scrubbers can't be used in any EU port and at berth by vessels with an open loop set up which both Normandie and Barfleur have. They didn't have the space for the bespoke non maritime hybrid system designed by CNIM/LAB which Pont Aven, Armorique. MSM & Cap Finistere have.

To comply they must be burning low sulphur MGO prior to port entry and continue to do so at berth or cold iron.

It's all in the EU Directive 2016/802, the European Union MRV reg's which began 1st Jan 2018 and is highlighted in IMO's Data Collection Scheme (DCS).

The International Council on Combustion Engines (Conseil International des Machines a Combustion) also mention it along with the explosive risks of combining both fuels due to abbreviated tank purging... Their "guidelines for the operation of marine engines on low sulphur diesel" is worthy of a peruse for those interested in such things.

Many northern European passenger ships are beginning to halt their use of the three heavier fuels anyway as it's become scarce & expensive due to the need to stockpile refined fuel prior to the new 0.5% regs which begin next January.

An interesting point...

It's highly unlikely but if entry to port, turnarounds & exit times can be reduced to less than two hours none of the regulations apply...

Makes complete sense Jonno. Arm and PA regularly burn the "white scrubber" smoke whilst berthing and alongside...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Gareth said:

To get from the Nab tower, into port, out of port and back out to the Nab within 2 hours would probably leave you with about 15 minutes alongside.

NAB Tower to docking and vice-versa is around 60 minutes each way, then add on the 90 minute turnaround in Portsmouth, that's 3hrs: 30mins.

The photo I posted above is in Portsmouth as engines were fired up.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Normandie’s recent refit saw the addition of pet friendly cabins. These are located on deck 5, port side forward, and were previously 4-berth cabins. A small outside promenade area has also been created on deck 9 forward, adjacent to the stores gantry. 

Photos below. 

CE4AA2A1-13EE-49E0-B977-C8466EAD229E.jpeg

146C5846-643A-4A3B-9D4D-3F82E43E941D.jpeg

96FBD52F-22BA-4255-8B39-2754CCD8BA9E.jpeg

765A3882-3CD2-4FA3-9E60-12018DC90EFF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...