Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

In elcotillo's first shot - what is the cause of that rust which has already appeared underneath a vent/grill towards Normandies' port bow? I guess it could be from a mooring dolphin or fender but it looks more like a direct reaction to something coming out of that vent? It's only been a few weeks since painting... pretty bad!

There are a few stains just aft of the Anchor as well, what are peoples thoughts on the paint jobs? When it's done in Poland in colder weather does it last as well as when done in other places.

19 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yes, Pont Aven’s last sailing on the route is tonight’s departure from St Malo.  Tomorrow, PA picks up her normal summer schedules with the 1715 to Santander.

(That “everything’s back to normal and the world’s just as it should be” feeling.  Oh wait, what have I forgotten......! 🤣)

'Back to normal' - you mean 'Back to Plymouth!'

How about a little plug here..."Do you hate the slow four hour trudge up and down the channel using Pont Aven to Spain?... Then why not try Plymouth this year, on the Sunday 1630 - 1200 Santander sailing? Surely the fastest and surely most sociable sailing of the week!"

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

In elcotillo's first shot - what is the cause of that rust which has already appeared underneath a vent/grill towards Normandies' port bow? I guess it could be from a mooring dolphin or fender but it looks more like a direct reaction to something coming out of that vent? It's only been a few weeks since painting... pretty bad!

That vent looks like it's on deck five, the lowest garage level, and at the approximate position of the 4 port side pet-friendly cabins. I wonder if there is any link with specific cleaning products used in those cabins. Were those vents there before the cabin-conversions? Ed. 

6 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Bretagne' leaves Le Havre at 17:00 this evening bound for St Malo

Now well on her way.  Good for a ship to be at sea again after all this time laid up.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Now well on her way.  Good for a ship to be at sea again after all this time laid up.

Where do you suppose her crew have been/come from? Have they been on leave, or I suppose on other ships? Are the 'seasonal' staff starting now? I am intrigued, because regardless - there is one more ship in service today, which means that the 'core' officers & engineers have to have been somewhere, and they are certainly not seasonal. Would BF just pay a rolling set of crew throughout the winter even if not onboard anywhere, to absorb the surplus?

'Bretagne' like the 'Normandie Express' have a skeleton crew on board but the bulk of the crew are working on other ships.

'Baie de Seine' is still in Gdansk, now understood to be leaving early on Tuesday.

9 hours ago, hf_uk said:

'Back to normal' - you mean 'Back to Plymouth!'

How about a little plug here..."Do you hate the slow four hour trudge up and down the channel using Pont Aven to Spain?... Then why not try Plymouth this year, on the Sunday 1630 - 1200 Santander sailing? Surely the fastest and surely most sociable sailing of the week!"

:) 

Totally agree - the Sunday afternoon crossing from Plymouth to Santander is the best way from the UK to Spain. I've booked mine already!

The problem is that Mr Bricolage don't just sell 'white' paint. They have a dozen different shades to choose from. Luckily they also have one of those colour-match scanning systems so all BF need to do is scrape off a bit of the paint they want to reproduce and take it down to the shop. It cost me about €40 to get 5 litres of bespoke paint for my daughter's bedroom so it might be quite an expensive solution. Ed. 

• Like 1

I wonder what Moby would do if they ever got their hands on Bretagne!...

I am envisaging an enormous Winnie the Pooh scene:)

7 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Is there a dwarf called Dumpy?

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

There must be at least a fair chance we'll find out within a few years...!

16 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Where do you suppose her crew have been/come from? Have they been on leave, or I suppose on other ships? Are the 'seasonal' staff starting now? I am intrigued, because regardless - there is one more ship in service today, which means that the 'core' officers & engineers have to have been somewhere, and they are certainly not seasonal. Would BF just pay a rolling set of crew throughout the winter even if not onboard anywhere, to absorb the surplus?

For the hotel crew, It'll be a mix of some on leave - some voluntarily, other imposed - others will have been posted to other ships over the winter period. There's a lot of chopping and changing out of season. There are also a handful who will be seconded to shoreside departments in Roscoff for a few months to help with upcoming projects and planning for the upcoming season.

The officers and engineers, again, some will have been posted to other ships - other's may have been seconded - a handful will have stayed with Bretagne during her layover and the rest - yes - are seasonal on CDD contracts.

• Like 4

On 08/03/2019 at 08:40, BZH29 said:

Wikipedia describes the new logo as “The new design, which comes with a more modern, warm and lyrical typeface “  Warm and Lyrical Typeface !!!!!  I wonder who wrote that.

That paint job looks unreal, never mind the rust near the bow, just add the Lyrical Logo   But perhaps I have, to quote BF an "entrenched way of thinking" that needs changing.

Perhaps that photo is fake news, maybe it. won't really look that bad.  

Who wrote that? - Brittany Ferries did in their press release.

https://brittanyferriesnewsroom.com/brittany-ferries-fresh-new-look/

Wikipedia is edited by idiots and it’s widely regarded to be a disreputable source of information, having said that it does contain some statements that are truthful probably due to sheer volume of faff on it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the explanation of the Warm and Lyrical typeface and Logo, Tony.    I still don't see it as an improvement though.

Looks like they found enough white paint to do a proper job on the Bretagne after all and that snatched picture in Le Havre did only show work in progress.

BDS now back in Le Havre.  Re-enters service this evening.  Will be interesting to see what she looks like.

A few pictures of Bretagnes arrival this morning. Have to say... the new livery didn't look anywhere near as bad on her as I was expecting (bar the dodgy paintjob). If this was her first BF livery (ie not the previous stripey ones), It would be perfectly fine, I think.

Bretagne-1.jpg

Bretagne-2.jpg

Bretagne-3.jpg

Bretagne-4.jpg

Bretagne-5.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Lovely photos. I personally think Bretagne looks good from just about every angle; I think even a Looney-Tunes livery would struggle to detract from those elegant lines. If she is going to be in the fleet a few more years, I really hope that BF don't cutback on her upkeep.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice pictures of the Bretagne.  "(bar the dodgy paintjob)".    I spoke too soon earlier. Pictures 1, 2 and 3 clearly show only the panel for the new logo was the bit repainted. What a pity !