Khaines

BF Refits 2018-19

'Armorique' will be required to cover 'Mont St Michel' in January and possibly 'Barfleur' in February. I'm guessing that 'Bretagne' will stay in service longer this year instead of being laid-up. 

On 03/05/2019 at 18:42, The Ferry Man said:

My First thought actually came back to this with NEx... she is, what 19 years now - that is fairly old for a HSC; Could it be a final season for her?

NEX is getting the new livery after the Summer Season, she's not going anywhere for a while.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Armorique' will be required to cover 'Mont St Michel' in January and possibly 'Barfleur' in February. I'm guessing that 'Bretagne' will stay in service longer this year instead of being laid-up. 

NEX is getting the new livery after the Summer Season, she's not going anywhere for a while.

If Armorique went to cover St Malo in Winter, NEX could serve Plymouth! (It's happened before! :) )

Edited by hf_uk

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

If Armorique went to cover St Malo in Winter, NEX could serve Plymouth! (It's happened before! :) )

True, but NEX doesn't carry freight.

12 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The timetables will be interesting. I think Armorique will predominately be doing Portsmouth-St Malo routes, so what they do with Plymouth I don't know? What Ship could be put on Plymouth-Roscoff in the new year, suppose it'll be beneficial they do few rotations of that route during the winter. 

11 hours ago, hf_uk said:

What has NEX served Plymouth, out of interest?

4 minutes ago, MichaelBF said:

The timetables will be interesting. I think Armorique will predominately be doing Portsmouth-St Malo routes, so what they do with Plymouth I don't know? What Ship could be put on Plymouth-Roscoff in the new year, suppose it'll be beneficial they do few rotations of that route during the winter. 

Totally disagree.  Armorique will never be the primary St Malo vessel.

• Like 1

Armorique will cover MSM at Ouistreham, Bretagne will remain in service through the winter, and Plymouth will close down for a couple of months as usual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Armorique will cover MSM at Ouistreham, Bretagne will remain in service through the winter, and Plymouth will close down for a couple of months as usual.

The lack of a formal restaurant means they can't use Armorique on St Malo (other than for very short term emergency cover) without offering the route at a cheaper rate. It's one of the key selling points. Ed. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

That's basically what I said, lol

12 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

That's basically what I said, lol

Indeed - after both Ed and I had already said it previously!  But hey ho, nice to know we all agree! 😉

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The lack of a formal restaurant means they can't use Armorique on St Malo (other than for very short term emergency cover) without offering the route at a cheaper rate. It's one of the key selling points. Ed. 

I know! 😀

The Les Aber rules ok.........well apart from shrinking  bread rolls obviously🤣

Edited by Paully
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I guess that depends on when Honfleur arrives and whether they switch Normandie back for cover. Le Havre is vulnerable to closure at quiet times.

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I guess that depends on when Honfleur arrives and whether they switch Normandie back for cover. Le Havre is vulnerable to closure at quiet times.

When Honfleur arrives is the one thing no one has thought of, it could help the situation.

43 minutes ago, Gareth said:

There’s more than one Aber! 🤣

Which presumably means the new bread rolls are an aberration. Ed. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

When Honfleur arrives is the one thing no one has thought of, it could help the situation.

It would certainly be helpful right now. Ed. 

• Like 1

interesting views regarding Honfleur and Le Havre.

I don't see how her arrival helps the situation... Etretat will leave the fleet meaning there's no extra tonnage. Nor do I see Le Havre as vulnerable during quiet times... I mean, which quiet times are they and have BF previously curtailed the sailings of either Etretat or BDS during the few years they've ran the route?

The numbers were healthy when DFDS pulled out and BF are improving them year on year. Le Havre has huge scope for expansion whilst Ouistreham is pushing saturation... being only an hour apart it makes sense for BF to offer parity in terms of ship standards and similar freight and pax numbers per sailing.

Worth noting that Honfleur lowers pax capacity by 20% at Ouistreham and regardless of what the press releases want us to read, her mix of car & freight is also lower as actual lane meter totals are a bit of a misnomer... I know a guy who works for Fjordline and he says width is more important. His ship has lanes ranging from 1.9m wide upto 3.6m.

19 minutes ago, jonno said:

I don't see how her arrival helps the situation.

It doesn’t - it’s a complete red herring.  As you say, all her arrival will do is displace Etretat.

Whether Armorique stands in for MSM directly at Ouistreham, or enable Normandie to do so by standing in for Normandie, is almost moot.  She still won’t be covering St Malo.  (That will inevitably be handled by Bretagne).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gareth said:

Totally disagree.  Armorique will never be the primary St Malo vessel.

Apologies. Confused St Malo with Caen a little. Armorique could cover that during January, but in February it is likely to be required for Plymouth-Roscoff, albeit more sporadically. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonno said:

interesting views regarding Honfleur and Le Havre.

I don't see how her arrival helps the situation... Etretat will leave the fleet meaning there's no extra tonnage. Nor do I see Le Havre as vulnerable during quiet times... I mean, which quiet times are they and have BF previously curtailed the sailings of either Etretat or BDS during the few years they've ran the route?

Earlier this year we had virtually no sailings into Le Havre for a couple of months,  a combination of Etretat maintenance, military charter, cover for Spain, Le Havre works. BDS often gets cancelled when it is running late in Spain. BF seem happy enough to cancel Le Havre knowing that Caen has capacity.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

It doesn’t - it’s a complete red herring

Except that Normandie is capable of replacing MSM or the Honfleur if needed, Etretat is not.

33 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Except that Normandie is capable of replacing MSM or the Honfleur if needed, Etretat is not.

Still don’t follow.  If Normandie is used to stand in at Ouistreham then Armorique will have to stand in for Normandie at Le Havre.  So which of the two routes Armorique operates on at refit time is purely semantic - she is still effectively providing cover for the Ouistreham refits.  Honfleur’s arrival makes no difference to the St Malo conundrum (which is the context in which she was brought into the discussion) whatsoever.  So, in the context of that discussion, she is a red herring.

40 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Earlier this year we had virtually no sailings into Le Havre for a couple of months,  a combination of Etretat maintenance, military charter, cover for Spain, Le Havre works. BDS often gets cancelled when it is running late in Spain. BF seem happy enough to cancel Le Havre knowing that Caen has capacity.

We had a very unusual set of circumstances this year, in which all the regular Spanish route vessels were off Spanish service at the same time for a few weeks.  Etretat was used to maintain a token Spanish service in those circumstances, but those circumstances had never arisen before and I’d be very surprised if BF allowed them to materialise again.

56 minutes ago, David Williams said:

So too is Barfleur, always has been able to. Etretat is capable of covering 99% of all BF ports and this will be 100% when the quay extension at Ouistreham is completed. In fact the only vessels which won't fit the port will be the Cap' and BDS.

Also many if not all routes see a downturn during the winter months which is not a reflection of vulnerability. Let's be frank here, again the only company which has seen any French connection as said vulnerability to the extreme point of cancelling the route(s) is Irish Ferries.

• Like 1