Sign in to follow this  
Fine Whine

Pont-Aven possible sea search

It looks to me as though Pont-Aven is involved in a sea search this morning. AIS shows her turning around an hour before the scheduled 07h00 arrival time in Roscoff and she's currently circling an area about 40 kms off the coast. Never mind the effect this will have on schedules today, I pray nobody is in the water as it's pretty horrible out there...:(

Will try to find out more later

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looks real horrible weather near us on the coast just west of Douarnenez Chris. Notice that PA circled just north of where she started to backtrack. Maybe a pick up ?

Cant see that any heli could get air bourne in this weather at the mo. Its gusting up to 45 mph or so.

Heres hoping for a safe outcome.
Stu

I spent the night in Bono near Vannes and its gusting strongly and chucking it down here too. We are supposed to be having a picnic on the beach in Quiberon today as part of a weekend of wedding anniversary celebrations. I'm assuming there is a 'plan b'! First real rain here for about 6 weeks I think. Ed. 

In these days of political correctness maybe Person Overboard is more suitable Gareth....:ph34r:

She's docking shortly so our usual influx of morning Irish will no doubt shed more light on what happened

Chris

No, the technical nautical term is man overboard Chris 😉.  (And I don’t do political correctness for the sake of it, I think it is the world gone mad!).

• Like 3

Agreed Gareth, totally bonkers.

It looks as though someone fell off/jumped from PA. Whether they were found remains to be seen but let's hope so...

Chris

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

In typically Irish fashion I've had at least 5 different versions of what happened this morning, and the consensus now appears to be it was a search and rescue mission for another vessel in trouble, most likely a fishing boat. Looking at Passage Weather last night they were forecasting a 4 - 5 metre swell which is challenging even on a ferry, and judging by some of the green faces this morning it was at least that. Someone else has just been in and added a 6th version, apparently a helicopter was involved as well so once again I pray and hope all aboard were safely rescued.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

No, the technical nautical term is man overboard Chris 😉.  (And I don’t do political correctness for the sake of it, I think it is the world gone mad!).

When the Irish Naval Service introduced females to the service there was a discussion about the females in the deck / seamans division and as to how they would be referred to as,. The official line was that seaman was a job description and not a gender statement .

So my final post on this topic, our local rag Le Télégramme is reporting the yacht Largo Winch ran into difficulty at 05h40 local time. 2 of the crew were injured, one was taken off by helicopter with Pont-Aven requested to attend and locate her exact position, and the 7.5 metre sailing boat is currently being towed back to Roscoff.

The skipper obviously didn't look at the forecast because there is no way a vessel of that size should have been out in such a sea state, especially as both wind and sea are calming down later today - complete lunacy and evidently very dangerous.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the final update Chris.  Completely concur with everything you say in your second paragraph - for a 24-footer to be out there at that time in those conditions was lunacy.

No, it was a vessel in distress with two injured sailors aboard, one of whom needed airlifting to hospital while the yacht was taken under tow back to a safe harbour. There was no indication of anybody being in the water. Ed

• Like 1

An absolutely horrendous picture of the chopper in action. Visibility was shocking and before the chopper arrived it was extremely hard to spot the yacht (until it went almost vertically up against a wave).

A fairly wobbly crossing all told. 

20180729_062835.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 29/07/2018 at 10:39, Fine Whine said:

So my final post on this topic, our local rag Le Télégramme is reporting the yacht Largo Winch ran into difficulty at 05h40 local time. 2 of the crew were injured, one was taken off by helicopter with Pont-Aven requested to attend and locate her exact position, and the 7.5 metre sailing boat is currently being towed back to Roscoff.

The skipper obviously didn't look at the forecast because there is no way a vessel of that size should have been out in such a sea state, especially as both wind and sea are calming down later today - complete lunacy and evidently very dangerous.

Chris

We were on the Finistère coast that weekend before crossing back to Plymouth.  The weather for the previous two weeks had been fabulous.  The anticyclone that cause all that wind and waves arrived pretty quickly.   That far west in la Manche means that distances between safe havens can be very far and the maximum speed a boat of that length can go is about 5 knots (5.75 mph).  

The Pont-

Aven did what every ship would do render assistance. 

The crossing back to Plymouth on the Amorique (29/07) was quite enjoyable says small boat sailor.