Sign in to follow this  
tarbyonline

A less than positive review of Economie- and not for the usual reasons

On Twitter BF responded to this with

As confirmed today, this is being investigated by a senior colleague who will respond in due course as soon as possible.

I trust they will as it is unacceptable in any cabin in any ship.

• Like 1

As a regular user of pet friendly cabins I am pretty shocked, definitely not acceptable on any level. I will be checking the mattress when we travel in a couple of weeks, should be interesting to see how the BdS shapes up. I would also be interested in knowing what the normal non pet friendly cabins are like on the Etretat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Williams said:

On Twitter BF responded to this with

As confirmed today, this is being investigated by a senior colleague who will respond in due course as soon as possible.

I trust they will as it is unacceptable in any cabin in any ship.

Totally agree.  Irrespective of them being pet friendly or not, surely standards should be maintained.  If anything I would expect these cabins to have a more intensive cleaning and replacement regimen.

• Like 1

Everybody in BF concerned in this incident needs retraining and pretty darned quickly. First lesson - when faced with a complaint like this you roll over and give a full refund immediately, then discuss what's going to happen next.  Note to senior management - if nothing else if you are mad enough to book out absolutely all the cabin space on a crossing (even if you are entranced by the income coming from such preposterous charges)  you need your head tested....

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 3

Surely there must be a supply of some spare mattresses on board, there is clearly a need for them, there are always bad reviews but there’s no excuse for bad service.

186AEBA2-F99D-4275-A048-961452B66303.thumb.png.f57706300e465e7313b0ba7c835237b8.pngF1F9C578-B23C-47A3-A4A0-2E8FD45C17E8.thumb.png.aa71be89250c2258196bcd713ca34f02.png

BF attitudes to customer service are a real Jeckyll and Hyde case.  It always seems to be one of two extremes.  Some of the personnel can never go to too much trouble for you - I had my own experience of BF customer service at Easter relating to an incident on Bretagne at Easter, which I will not go into here.  But no words can do justice to the outstanding support from the crew aboard Bretagne or to the subsequent follow-up from BF customer services at Plymouth.  Simply beyond anything we expected and without question well beyond the call of duty.

And then you get this.  I would imagine that the attitide of the crew aboard Etretat is the exception rather than the rule, and it undoes all the good work that hard-working BF staff elsewhere put in to sustain the good reputation of the company.  I agree, this needs sorting out, and I’m sure that BF management will do so.

• Like 2

I would echo your remarks Gareth even when we had a small problem on our sailing to Spain years ago the purser had 3 cleaners and the head of housekeeping in our cabin sorting it before we could walk back to it, and in my experience the UK based customer service team are exemplary at their job if I ran a company I would use them as an example of how to do customer service, let’s hope this serves as a wake up call.

• Like 2

Worth a moment to consider that there are 2 sides to every story. The poster on the Etretat might have recorded everything verbatim.....or not as the case may be. ` Gilding the lily` is a notorious British trait, is it not?..It also depends on how you ask the Pursers` staff for that assistance..For instance Haranguing the French usually in fluent English, gets you absolutely nowhere. On the other hand quietly shaming them, does. 

Just wonder what the approach was. Indeed the views of the crew would be interesting ...

• Like 2

I only have had to complain once to the Purser and this was resolved immediately and he couldn't apologise enough. I agree with the comment above and how they treat you often depends on how you approach them, going in all guns blazing does not always get the response you want as it can get their backs up.

I also had to contact the customer service team due to an issue with a booking and I could not have asked for better service.

• Like 2

I dare not show this thread to my wife. She might refuse to travel with BF ever again she is not good with any sea state above flat calm.

We normally do PIP/Santander on Pont or Cap and she insists on an outside cabin but this year our first economie trip was Santander/Ringaskiddy on Connemara. It was a completely uneventful trip very smooth and the food was adequate for our needs. We departed and arrived bang on time. The only slight query was a slight smell when we first entered which I put down to a small spill on the carpet just outside the bathroom. The carpet was old so I thought that was what it was. My mattress looked new and had a topper. I did not check her mattress but there were no complaints so I assume it was OK. We have never needed or been given a PFC  one and I don’t think  I would accept one even it was the last cabin available.

Edited by JohnMustow

3 hours ago, Paully said:

Worth a moment to consider that there are 2 sides to every story. The poster on the Etretat might have recorded everything verbatim.....or not as the case may be. ` Gilding the lily` is a notorious British trait, is it not?..It also depends on how you ask the Pursers` staff for that assistance..For instance Haranguing the French usually in fluent English, gets you absolutely nowhere. On the other hand quietly shaming them, does. 

Just wonder what the approach was. Indeed the views of the crew would be interesting ...

There are not two sides to customer complaints. The customer is always right even when they are wrong. I have seen enough stories about poor BF service recently to suspect this kind of staff reaction is not isolated. BF are simply too dear to get away with any poor service. They will tell their freinds!

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2

To be fair, Millsy, Paully didn’t say there were 2 sides to customer complaints.  He said there were 2 sides to any story (which is true).  The manner in which a complaint is raised (which we have no information about) may affect the response received even if it has no bearing on the legitimacy of the substance of the complaint.  There are definitely “right” ways of going about making the point (especially when dealing with the French).  The author of the article may well have handled her complaint impeccably, or she may have gone in with all guns blazing.  None of that should make any difference to the response received, but staff are human and if it was the latter then it would mitigate the response slightly.

But I agree the manner of the complaint should be irrelevent in terms of BF’s expectations of approach to customer service, and I am sure BF management will see it that way too.

• Thanks 1

I find it pretty surprising how many people seem to be excusing what happened here, even seeking to discredit the reviewer by suggesting she was upset because she had to pay - that's a Trump tactic.  Even if she complained in the worst way, there is no excuse for the state of the cabin or how she was treated. 

7 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

I find it pretty surprising how many people seem to be excusing what happened here, even seeking to discredit the reviewer by suggesting she was upset because she had to pay - that's a Trump tactic.  Even if she complained in the worst way, there is no excuse for the state of the cabin or how she was treated. 

What I find even more suprising and disappointing are the number of people who rush to a judgement without hearing both sides of any argument. An all too familiar occurance on Social Media. Glad you`re not sitting on a Jury

Edited by Paully

Wow!

Such a different experience from any I have had on BF. I have never really had cause to complain, but I have seen (and indeed heard) other passengers making complaints on rare occasions, and I have never seen anything other than a courteous and appropriate response - even on the occasions where I was embarrassed for the crew-members in question, as the complaints were in my unspoken opinion unreasonable and disproportionate.

I could write about the standard of cleanliness on other operator's cabins, but I won't. Suffice it to say that when travelling between the UK and the Balearics I am obliged to make a second overnight crossing after driving 6 hours across Spain - and I don't always look forward to the second one.

2 minutes ago, Paully said:

What I find even more suprising and disappointing are the number of people who rush to a judgement without hearing both sides of any argument. Glad you`re not sitting on a Jury

Ah, so you think she either faked the pictures or made up the responses of the crew?

6 minutes ago, VikingVoyager said:

Which post are you referring to VV?  (I can’t find any posts where the issue at hand is being excused).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VikingVoyager said:

Ah, so you think she either faked the pictures or made up the responses of the crew?

Putting words in people’s mouths is not helpful.  Paully did not suggest that at all.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Which post are you referring to VV?  (I can’t find any posts where the issue at hand is being excused).

These phrases spring to mind:

"but what do you expect if you want to share your bed with animals"

"Probably upset as a blogger that she had to pay for a crossing"

Then all of the posts that appear to suggest that if you complain in a certain way then you can expect poor treatment.