Sign in to follow this  
tarbyonline

A less than positive review of Economie- and not for the usual reasons

For me, BF have resolved the matter adequately so far (assuming that they have checked the other cabins and put measures in place).  

I think everyone agrees that the mattress was unacceptable and hardly likely to have been made up  -proved, I suggest by BF's admission. 

No matter how awful she was to the staff, that should have been put right without pontification / protest and it seems that may not have been the case (there's nothing in the BF statement about what degree of prompting was required before an alternative was found and also nothing on the state of the alternative so both of those items are only up for speculation). 

How people chose to complain is up to them - Social Media can be incredibly effective. It wouldn't be my first port of call but maybe if I'd got nowhere face to face with the company in question I'd give it a go.  

3 hours ago, VikingVoyager said:

No matter how awful she was to the staff, that should have been put right without pontification / protest 

I agree. 

I was getting a coffee this morning, there was a job interview going on in the next table. The coffee shop manager was interviewing someone for a job. 

After 1 minute of pleasantries, his very first question to the candidate was "how well do you handle complaints?"  

However, I think maybe part of the problem with this incident is that continentals seem to handle complaints different to Anglo-Saxons. The latter sugar-coat every customer transaction whereas the French sometimes just say it how it is. And sometimes that does not go down too well - as we have already seen! 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Gareth said:

"Yes, maybe in public.  Maybe there is a fuller apology for private consumption.

Then again, maybe they take a dim view (as would I) of complainants who air their greivance in public in the first place."

I would agree Gareth that any complaint should in the first instance be addressed to the relevant organisation. However I do know from a personal experience that BF are reluctant to accept responsibility or blame when a truthful set of circumstances are put to them privately in writing. It's a bit like never admitting liability or blame for a vehicle accident when it is clear who is in the wrong. It happens unfortunately.

• Like 1

There have been a couple of occasions where we have had to comment about events on a BF crossing.

in our experience  their staff have always been outstanding.

We did get into a ruck with security in Plymouth on one trip but even then the BF staff were great.

Obviously, like everyone here, we were not present when this went down, so cannot comment on what might or might not have happened.

Rhys

1 hour ago, adicat said:

Monopoly situation means that the only other option is to fly to France.

The Le Havre and Ouistreham routes have the short sea crossings as competitors. I choose BF as it is more relaxing and cheaper once petrol and tolls are taken into account. Eurotunnel is a lot quicker.

11 hours ago, adicat said:

Monopoly situation means that the only other option is to fly to France.

My London daughter and five year old boy are flying with EasyJet from Gatwick to Nantes at 12.30 pm.tomorrow   - the journey  time is 1hour 20 minutes.

If they left home at 5 am. they could drive to Portsmouth for the 8.15 am. ferry to Ouistreham and drive on to Nantes arriving by 6 pm. - a 13 hour day with a five year old. Or with later ferries it would become a two day job with an overnight somewhere - just to get to Nantes.  

She is not a ferry enthusiast. 

I notice the author of the article has not added any mention of the BF response to the follow-up discussion.

Maybe she now regards the issue as “case closed”.  But the problem is that once these things are out in social media they are there to stay. Regardless of subsequent developments in private discussion.

41 minutes ago, wortley said:

My London daughter and five year old boy are flying with EasyJet from Gatwick to Nantes at 12.30 pm.tomorrow   - the journey  time is 1hour 20 minutes.

If they left home at 5 am. they could drive to Portsmouth for the 8.15 am. ferry to Ouistreham and drive on to Nantes arriving by 6 pm. - a 13 hour day with a five year old. Or with later ferries it would become a two day job with an overnight somewhere - just to get to Nantes.  

She is not a ferry enthusiast. 

The journey time is not 1hr 20 minutes, how long will she be waiting at the airport, both ends?  On the ferry she takes her own car and has her son's toys etc with him.  It's not black and white saying the flight is so much quicker.

I`m with solo...Negotiating any airport at any time is a nightmare..At this peak season its even worse. Security is often anal and slow in their processes. Once past that point then finding somewhere to sit is an achievement, once you have walked past all the shops vying for your business. Then you hope your aircraft is on time, hasn`t refused to start somewhere or the damn French have decided to have another day off, cos its nice outside..Some airports are advising to check in 3 hours before flight time because there are so many people to process..

Of course once you get airborne then ok, you arrive quicker but..........

• Like 1

I agree fully with both of the last two posts, but wish to point out that this is not a thread about the merits and demerits of ferry travel vesus air travel. 😉

• Like 1

True Gareth but the thread has morphed into the affect that lack of competition has on BF's attitude etc and air travel was put forward as competition and we are discussing the pros and cons. Perhaps it should be discussed somewhere else, I think it probably has been several times.

Ok fair enough Solo.  Coming back to that point then - I don’t agree that this premise is true.  Crew on board won’t be thinking at all about competition, and customer services is so exemplary that it could not possibly offer a better service even if the competition was cutthroat.

I agree Gareth, but we on here are all fans of BF it's convincing the likes of the person who started this off, who rightly or wrongly felt they were not so exemplary.  It does make you wonder what all the mattresses are like, are the ones on the chartered ships what came with them? 

33 minutes ago, Solo said:

, but we on here are all fans of BF 

Should I leave now? 🙁  I'm not really a fan at all.

I just regard the ferry service from Plymouth as a useful means of transport and I'm really only here to pick up information about it.  I'm not a fan but not a critic either - just a customer and a passenger. 

Edited by wortley

Well one thing is clear, this is not acceptable for BF, in any service offered, it us unacceptable. Well done to BF for investigating this, it takes a lot of courage to acknowledge when your service is broken. The person who raised this, is quite right to confront the staff... If they spoke to her like that, then it isn't acceptable, simple as. While I have always had good service onboard BF, I accept that in rare cases service from the 'soft product' and staff may not be up to scratch. We should all be happy that the person raised this issue, so hopefully it can be repaired for everyone when they use it. 

• Like 1

Sorry Wortley, perhaps I should have said regular users and we wouldn't be that if we weren't happy with the service.  Yes I know down here we haven't really got a lot of other choice.

Making travel comparisons is all a bit apples and pears really.

The best personal solution depends on your reason for travel, where you are coming from, where you are going to, individual travel preferences & timings and whether you need to take the kitchen sink with you or just a change of underwear.

The important thing is that there is an option available which meets your needs whether it is BF Western Channel,  Dover or Newhaven short crossings, the Tunnel or Easyjet or Ryanair etc. Everyone's needs are different but it is important to know what the options are so that you can weigh up the pros and cons.

• Like 1