Sign in to follow this  
Geezer

Cabin for 5 ?

I have always booked 2 adults and 3 children into a 4 berth cabin on Pont Aven with no problem. Now that my eldest is 16 she is classed as an adult but I have still been able to book us all into 1 cabin, the two smaller girls just share a bunk. Irish Ferries will not let me do this however and says I am over subscribed for the cabin and need to book extra, hopefully this will be ok when we come to check in and and we are not told otherwise ... thanks.

This rings a bell - have you posted elsewhere?

You didn’t mention the route, which may be relevant to the answer.  It is BF policy that on the Spanish routes every passenger has a bed.  I don’t think this policy applies to France but am not sure.

As ever, the advice is....if you are in doubt, contact BF and ask them.

Right, well I'm sure that in the past the policy was 'everybody must have reserved accommodation on overnight bookings' or similar. In your case: a) they don't want to sell you an extra 2-berth for just one person when they could put two passengers in it, b) they have no more reclining seats available but as some cabins are under-occupied they are happy for you to find a sofa if you wish, c) the policy is different on crossings from Ireland or d) they have not spotted the error (unlikely). How long ago did you make the reservation? I've looked at the FAQs and suspect they have booked you some sort of seat but you haven't spotted it on the confirmation document. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

I have just went onto the manage my booking page to reserve a seat, when I get to the end it asks for all my card details again ... unsure what to do next, is this just for confirmation ?

Just copied this from the FAQs:

Do I have to purchase onboard accommodation?

For overnight crossings, bookings without onboard accommodation will only be considered once all seats and cabin berths have been sold. We will not accept any bookings without accommodation on our Spanish and Irish routes.

And this is from the Irish BF site's FAQ:

If there are no cabins or seats on an overnight crossing, why wont it let me book?

Cabins and seats are mandatory on all Cork to Roscoff overnight crossings. If there is neither type of accommodation available it is not possible to continue with the booking online. Please try to find a suitable alternative sailing.

Ed. 

So you have got as far as them "accepting the booking".  I doubt that there are any other requirements, and the fact that you have booked accommodation of some sort has probably ticked their box.  But, again, if you want to be completely sure (or if you want to book the seat) I'd give BF a call.

Thanks guys ... I will go with the fact that I have paid a deposit and my booking form clearly says .. 1x4 berth cabin, 3 adults, 2 children ... seems legit enough that they have accepted it.

Given the conditions quoted, it would be safer to check before all of the seats go. It may be helpful to DM BF on Twitter quoting the booking reference and asking them, that way you will have something in writing if you are challenged later on.

Thanks for the replies ... this is my response fom BF.ie

> We do allow a maximum 5 passengers (2

> of which are children) to occupy a 4 berth cabin. As there are 2 lower

> & 2 upper bunks in a 4 berth cabin, either 2 children will have to

> share a bunk or 1 of the children will have to sleep on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great result, and interesting that they appear to have changed their stance. Maybe it reflects the number of families traveling with 3 children and the lack (until Honfleur arrives at least) of cabins catering for more than 4 people. It'll be interesting to see if that rule is now applied across the fleet. Thanks for updating us. Ed. 

• Like 1

Yes, good outcome - and worth getting the official line from BF.  You can now look forward to the crossing without having to worry about it.

(Now I’m just trying to imagine what would happen if I tried to put my 2 kids in the same berth!) 😄

You can usually over-occupy by 1 at least. BF can override their limits if you speak to them nicely.

Following on from this - I believe there are some 6 berth cabins dotted across the fleet. BDS I am sure reading has a few, and perhaps Honfleur will also.

• Like 1

Yes, I mentioned Honfleur as that will be a solution to this particular problem. I didn't mention BDS as she will soon be leaving the fleet but you are right, she does have some 6-berth cabins. Ed. 

More interesting 

44 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Yes, I mentioned Honfleur as that will be a solution to this particular problem. I didn't mention BDS as she will soon be leaving the fleet but you are right, she does have some 6-berth cabins. Ed. 

I wonder what configuration they will be? 3 x 2, or 2 x 3!