09/02/2019, Bilbao-Portsmouth, 19:30, Etretat

Coming back from Ibiza.

This will be my first taste of the the Economie service - I could not use the BDS because of my vehicle being too high to book with a PFC...  

I haven't worked out the itinerary from the island yet - it's far too early for either of the ferry companies to have thought about times, or even vessels yet. Hopefully I'll get an overnight crossing to Valencia or Barcelona, or an afternoon crossing, and I'll find a camp site or mobile-home park to overnight en-route.

3 hours ago, Halfcrown said:

Coming back from Ibiza.

This will be my first taste of the the Economie service - I could not use the BDS because of my vehicle being too high to book with a PFC...  

I haven't worked out the itinerary from the island yet - it's far too early for either of the ferry companies to have thought about times, or even vessels yet. Hopefully I'll get an overnight crossing to Valencia or Barcelona, or an afternoon crossing, and I'll find a camp site or mobile-home park to overnight en-route.

Wow, how high is it, even most RV's are under 4m? A friend of ours has a 39ft long Legacy which is basically a coach and is around 3.77m.

He's nobbled for length rather than height.

Edited by jonno
51 minutes ago, jonno said:

Wow, how high is it, even most RV's are under 4m?

It's only a VW California, so 2.05m including the wind-out awning.

The problem with the BDS was that you could not book a Pet-friendly cabin with a vehicle higher than 1.83m. It's something to do with the exact location of the garage where pet-owners' cars need to be parked. Personally I have never understood it, but it's always been the case with that vessel. 

• Thanks 1
  • 6 months later...

So - this is going to be interesting....  

The van developed a fault as we were approaching Dénia on the way to Ibiza. It kept on going into limp-mode - but we limped on and caught our ferry to the island.  It turned out that it has a cracked exhaust manifold and it is not going to be ready in time for us to drive it home. 

The lovely people at AA European Breakdown have agreed to get us a hire-car to collect at Dénia and drop off in Bilbao.

But here's the really interesting bit... BF have come up trumps and have managed to obtain special permission from the port authorities at Bilbao and Portsmouth, and DEFRA to allow us to board the Etretat with a dog as foot passengers so we can travel home as booked.  Well done BF!

• Like 1