Sign in to follow this  
Jack N

Pont Aven Cork to Roscoff

Could be one of a few things.

Might be a need to get closer to shore for a medical evacuation.  But track back to Cork rather than directly towards the Irish coast doesn’t quite fit with that.

Might be some sort of notifcation of problems at Roscoff in the morning.  But altering course to Brest would be a more likely course of action in such circumstances than putting back to Cork.

Might be another search and rescue (either for another vessel or for own MOB), but a beeline back to Cork doesn’t quite fit with that.

Might be a problem of some sort with the ship.  But last time that happened she made for Brest.  If it is a problem with the ship I think it would have to have been pretty serious to make back for Cork.

Might be aome sort of irregularity with a passenger or some cargo that has resulted in her being summoned back.

If she gets all the way back to Cork, rather than turning round again at some point, my money would be on one of the last 2 possibilities.

I suppose another possibility is that there could have been a major incident involving serious injury or worse to someone on board, such that if it happened in Irish waters the authorities might have required her to return to port.

Again, I’m sure we will find out in due course.

According to the BF Twitter feed her departure was delayed by an hour before this happened.

Edited by neilcvx

That is a pretty clear indication of a problem with the vessel.  It means she is sending a signal to other vessels that they need to keep out of her way because she might not be able to keep out of theirs.

• Thanks 1

RNLI now speeding towards the coast and Pont appears to be turning to get back underway to Roscoff. So maybe an evacuation and they have just used the RNLI lifeboat, unless it was a rescue from the sea.

• Like 1

That is what i am suspecting Gareth and the fact she had slowed down to 2 knots. Possibly just a warning to others in the area. She is back up to speed now

Edited by brianeccleston
spelling

She’s not having much luck with keeping to schedule in the last few weeks.  What with ba weather last week, 2 evacuations in 7 days, and her earlier engine problems a couple of weeks ago, I’s say it must be almost a month since PA completed her werkly roster with everything running to schedule.

This latest one will, like the previous ones, have knock-on consequences for arrival and departure times until at least Thursday.

She’s been struggling to do that when she has got behind in the last few weeks.  General pattern has been, once she has got behind, that delay has stayed in the schedule through to Thursday evening.

I think her normal schedule involves her sailing pretty much flat out on the Spain crossings, so there is not much scope to make up time on them.

Looks further behind leaving Roscoff, it can't help this time of year with full loads there's no rushing loading and unloading.

I would of thought with the peak holidays season the crews will be under a bit of pressure to try and keep there ferries up to there timetables.also to keep safe working practice in place at all time and maybe this is one of the reason they may slip behind there times.

Well, the simple maths is that it takes a certain amount of time to unload, clean, re-stock, prepare and load a ferry for its next voyage, and there is virtually nothing that can be done to shorten that time when carrying full loads like in the summer.

The only opportunities for Pont Aven to catch up time is when she is scheduled for a longer-than-necessary turnaround or when she is scheduled for a voyage that does not require top speed.  Between Sunday and Thursday, Pont Aven does not have any such opportunities.  That is why she has been running late - consistently late each week by whatever the length of the early delay was - for the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Her catch-up time comes on Thursday - Saturday.  Extended turnaround in Plymouth on Thursday, 12 hour crossing to Roscoff, then all day Friday in Roscoff.  There is then an extended turnaround in Cork on Saturdays, but after that any delays will stay as delays until the following Thursday as she is flat out between Sunday morning and Thursday evening.

Keep an eye on the sailings update page.  Santander-Portsmouth will be changed to show a 1.5 - 2 hour delay tomorrow.  Then it will be updated for Portsmouth-Santander on Tuesday, and then Santander - Plymouth on Wednesday.  It’s been the same pattern for the last month.

(I had the pleasure of being 4 hours late on her into Santander in early July and being able to have an unexpected dinner in Le Flora.  She’s been having engine problems of some sort; they weren’t picked up on here at the time and I suspect they’re probably now fixed, at least temporarily until she is dry docked in the Autumn).

Good explanation, Gareth, but I am not downhearted  yet. 

She is due back into Plymouth at 1615 this coming Thursday. My ticket says early boarding for Roscoff from 1900, so I was thinking of sitting down in La Flora as soon as possible after that. I will let you know how it pans out. 

You’ll probably be fine for the Thursday sailing to Roscoff, Wortley, if there are no further causes of delay.  Even if she doesn’t get to Plymouth until 1730 you should still be ok for early boarding.

Early boarding and heading to Le Flora is always a good plan.  Especially if you can get a window table on the port side - you can watch the departure over your langoustines, and should pass Armorique in-bound just outside the breakwater.

The sailings update page has been pretty useless lately, I’ve no doubt BF are keeping customers updated on sailings but not via thar page.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

You’ll probably be fine for the Thursday sailing to Roscoff, Wortley, if there are no further causes of delay.  Even if she doesn’t get to Plymouth until 1730 you should still be ok for early boarding.

Early boarding and heading to Le Flora is always a good plan.  Especially if you can get a window table on the port side - you can watch the departure over your langoustines, and should pass Armorique in-bound just outside the breakwater.

It's the Fireworks Championship at Plymouth this week so anyone. inbound on Armorique on Thursday night will find she hurries across from Roscoff to get into position in the Sound , sitting there stationary while the fireworks rain around her. Go on the top deck.