Good Morning!

Is there a reason why the Captain of the Barfleur doesn't have a PEC? Both leaving Poole and arriving at Cherbourg we dropped off/picked up a pilot.

There is no such thing as a single cover-all PEC.  A PEC is for one port.  So the captain in question either does not have PECs for both ports, or took a pilot for other reasons.

Other reasons could include assessment for renewal of PEC, a trainee captain on the bridge (as well as the captain) being assessed for PEC, or the fact that the captain may be new to the route and not clocked up enough pilotage movements to qualify for the PEC yet.

Whichever it is, it is normal practice and nothing to worry about.

• Thanks 1

I just asked on Facebook as one of my friends on there works on the pilot boat, he also is a member here so he might post as well.  This is the answer he gave me.  

“Skipper keeps changing lots at the moment. One has a pec exam this week as he’s done 40 trips but the other one is indefinite relief so won’t be doing his pec”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Khaines said:

I just asked on Facebook as one of my friends on there works on the pilot boat, he also is a member here so he might post as well.  This is the answer he gave me.  

“Skipper keeps changing lots at the moment. One has a pec exam this week as he’s done 40 trips but the other one is indefinite relief so won’t be doing his pec”

For Poole a new captain must do at least 40 trips with a pilot before they are able to do a PEC . However not all captains do this if they are only here for short periods or covering other captains on the route , which is happening at the moment . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Plymouth has FAR more pilot - assisted sailings than it used to. Not sure why - maybe they are moving captains around move?

On 09/08/2018 at 18:24, Khaines said:

Daniel Roignan has been the Commandant for ages, has he left then?

I know one signed off work until he’s able to go back not sure which one 

• Like 1