Sign in to follow this  
ccs147

Connemara departing Cork harbour today

Not exactly full is she.  Especially for mid-August.  Great photos but loading appears to be consistent with what tarbyonline has told us about how the route us doing.

Nice pictures, but..no sign of many trucks, which is what is needed , on every sailing,to make this route pay all year round. Time of course will tell, this is August I suppose.

FWIW i spoke to someone who does some work for BF in Cork a few weeks back and he said that he'd heard that the service would continue throughout the winter but that the Cork Roscoff service would close for the winters months.

I've seen the numbers, and personally I don't think the route's doing too bad all things considered. The freight numbers are quite positive. It may prove a vital link depending on how Brexit goes.

Thanks Scarlton.  Let’s hope the experiment pays off and that the case for a proper BF ship is esrablished by the end of next year.  Are you able to confirm that the route will continue next year?

Just looking at this from afare and by no means an expert on this, I find it hard to believe that BF would have embarked on this without being prepared to give it at least 2 seasons.

There’s surely a case for a direct Eire - Spain service & the only debate is frequency, as in time of year etc.

The problem is how you serve the route, as in mixing holiday & commercial traffic at the different times of the year.

I’ll be amazed if this doesn’t become a fixture & the only question is in what precise form.

21 hours ago, ccs147 said:

FWIW i spoke to someone who does some work for BF in Cork a few weeks back and he said that he'd heard that the service would continue throughout the winter but that the Cork Roscoff service would close for the winters months.

That would match with Irish Ferries plans to close  Rosslare to Cherbourg during the winter months this year, seems that there has been a downturn in Ireland/France traffic out of season.....apparently Stena are continuing through the winter though from Rosslare.

On 15/08/2018 at 18:36, Gareth said:

Thanks Scarlton.  Let’s hope the experiment pays off and that the case for a proper BF ship is esrablished by the end of next year.  Are you able to confirm that the route will continue next year?

I'm pretty sure I read that they were being released later. Isn't the charter for two years? Or is my memory letting me down.

57 minutes ago, scarlton said:

I'm pretty sure I read that they were being released later. Isn't the charter for two years? Or is my memory letting me down.

Yes Jane at BF Ireland confirmed yesterday on the phone that bookings will be released in the first week of September.  She’s a star at customer service.

• Like 1

The first week in September has now passed. The UK site shows 2019 departures. The B..F.. .ie site does not show the timetables for 2019. Where are they?

1 hour ago, westy said:

The first week in September has now passed. The UK site shows 2019 departures. The B..F.. .ie site does not show the timetables for 2019. Where are they?

When I was at PiP last Wednesday to board Pont the delayed sailing gave me time to go over to the BF desk and ask when we might be told of the 2019 schedule. The desk did not know but rang HQ who said they would be released in the first week of October.

Well, let’s see.  There can’t be many decisions to make.  Not much scope for tweaking the timetable, unless to bring everything forward or back by x days.  Apart from timetable tweaks, what other decisions are there that could be made, other than whether or not to continue the route at all.  I suppose I can think of four:

1. Whether or not to continue the Roscoff connection.

2.  Whether or not to continue to carry passengers (or make the route freight-only).

3.  Whether to bring the ship under French registry and operate with BF crew.

4.  Whether the pricing levels are right.

5. Whether to run her from St Malo instead, particularly when Roscoff is closed and Arm is away. I suppose CF will still be calling on Mondays for her crew change and to load a few passengers from France heading to Spain so the alternative would be to bring Connemara in on Mondays too so they only need shore staff one day per week. Ed. 

• Like 1

6. Whether to upset the French unions by reducing their staff over the Winter whilst keeping the non French crew employed (a version of point 3)

7. Whether to increase sailings next summer by adding Etretat to the schedule.