wortley

Sunday breakfast on Pont Aven

Although we ate well on Saturday evening at Les Alyzes in Roscoff ( thank you Chris for that tip some time ago - it's the best we have found so far)  we still needed breakfast on Sunday morning. (19/08/2018). The overnight hotel wanted €12.50 each for a cheerless offering in a spartan little room so we waited and dived into La Flora as soon as we were on board. 

The young man asked if we fancied in petit dejeuner anglais, so we had bacon, tomato, mushrooms, two fried eggs, two sausages, two hash browns and toast -  then plundered the buffet for orange juice, fruit salad, plain yogurt and croissants, and smiled nicely at the young man and asked him to bring us a second large pot of coffee. And all that cost less than the hotel had wanted to charge us for breakfast with them -  although goodness knows what it would have added up to item by item in the self service canteen at the second class end of deck 7. So we tottered off happily to the windowless cell called 6255 and slept the morning away. Was it rough or smooth ? - no idea ! 

And the real icing on the cake - we were third off at Millbay, two caravans  then us. The fates were truly with us this morning. 

Thank you again lovely Pont Aven crew. 

Edited by wortley
  • Like 4

Hello

I don't post a lot but read the informed comments on this site every day which I find in general very informative. I agree totally with the comments about breakfast in Pont Aven. The same applies to a degree on the Cap. However this comment I find rather snobbish "self service canteen at the second class end of deck 7". Do you mean stearage

• Like 1

I like a good breakfast in La Flora and in La  Belle Angèle , looking forward to trying a good breakfast on Bretagne no doubt it will be similar to that on the Pont if not better due to Bretagnes magical fairy dust.

2 hours ago, wortley said:

Although we ate well on Saturday evening at Les Alyzes in Roscoff ( thank you Chris for that tip some time ago - it's the best we have found so far)  we still needed breakfast on Sunday morning. (19/08/2018). The overnight hotel wanted €12.50 each for a cheerless offering in a spartan little room so we waited and dived into La Flora as soon as we were on board. 

The young man asked if we fancied in petit dejeuner anglais, so we had bacon, tomato, mushrooms, two fried eggs, two sausages, two hash browns and toast -  then plundered the buffet for orange juice, fruit salad, plain yogurt and croissants, and smiled nicely at the young man and asked him to bring us a second large pot of coffee. And all that cost less than the hotel had wanted to charge us for breakfast with them -  although goodness knows what it would have added up to item by item in the self service canteen at the second class end of deck 7. So we tottered off happily to the windowless cell called 6255 and slept the morning away. Was it rough or smooth ? - no idea ! 

And the real icing on the cake - we were third off at Millbay, two caravans  then us. The fates were truly with us this morning. 

You are some bluffer .

2 hours ago, IanN said:

Hello

I don't post a lot but read the informed comments on this site every day which I find in general very informative. I agree totally with the comments about breakfast in Pont Aven. The same applies to a degree on the Cap. However this comment I find rather snobbish "self service canteen at the second class end of deck 7". Do you mean stearage

Ha. I hoped my use of the phrase "second class" would niggle someone from the cafeteria end, and you rose to the bait beautifully.

Be happy.

• Like 1

I’ve always found the coffee on BF ships even in La Flora to be a necessity to get me going and not worth a second cup let alone a second pot.

Hello,

We were also on Pont Aven this morning.  We had booked Commodore Cabin 8402, and the lovely Steward offered us the usual Continental a la cabine, or, joy of joys, in Le Flora.  We took up the offer and upgraded to the 'Vitality' option (Full English) for the princely sum of £6.60 for the three of us.  What a lovely surprise!  Wortley, it was a foggy crossing complete with fog horn sounding, and at times quite bumpy.  I was a little late with the issuing of Stugeron for my youngest Son, I had to leave breakfast, to get them from the cabin, whoops!!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wortley said:

Ha. I hoped my use of the phrase "second class" would niggle someone from the cafeteria end, and you rose to the bait beautifully.

Be happy.

Well done Captain Mainwaring well done indeed Sir, so silly of us not to have noticed that . Shall i have the men fall in for parade .

13 hours ago, Poopy said:

Hello,

We were also on Pont Aven this morning.  We had booked Commodore Cabin 8402, and the lovely Steward offered us the usual Continental a la cabine, or, joy of joys, in Le Flora.  We took up the offer and upgraded to the 'Vitality' option (Full English) for the princely sum of £6.60 for the three of us.  What a lovely surprise!  Wortley, it was a foggy crossing complete with fog horn sounding, and at times quite bumpy.  I was a little late with the issuing of Stugeron for my youngest Son, I had to leave breakfast, to get them from the cabin, whoops!!

Yep.  It’s a little known-about perk with Commodore cabins that I have posted about on here a couple of times.  Pretty much pays for half the cabin.

48 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Yep.  It’s a little known-about perk with Commodore cabins that I have posted about on here a couple of times.  Pretty much pays for half the cabin.

And if you’re a club voyage member you can get the cabin breakfast then get another one in the restaurant.

• Haha 1

Thanks for that excellent advice, Neil. I shall store it away for future use. 😀 As a canny Scot, are there any other money-saving tips you can give me? I found this one online :

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.electricscotland.com/humour/h79.htm&ved=2ahUKEwibz4O_sfvcAhUKSsAKHSsqBEsQFjACegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw2UuYFKtNGZnDXjEpuMOtvj

Ed

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chef said:

You are some bluffer .

I don't bluff.  

We paid the standard price of £10.45 per person for the All You Can Eat breakfast in La Flora restaurant,  and with Club Voyage discount that came down to £9.40 each. If other people choose to queue and carry their own tray to a formica topped table in the cafeteria, AND PAY MORE for the meal I described then that is up to them. I rather like having a table with a linen tablecloth and napkins, and a young man bringing us hot food covered with a silver dome, AND PAYING LESS than the self service prices. 

• Like 2

It’s horses for courses ,sometimes I like to sit a relax in a restaurant for breakfast and sometimes I like a quick in and out of a self service restaurant, the real issue here @wortley is the quality of hotel you’re staying in I’ve had some good breakfasts in some nice hotels in France the smell of freshly baking pastries or madeleines as you get ready and downstairs to a nice airy non moving room is nice plus I’m a bit grumpy if I’m not fed within a short time of getting up I can think of nothing worse than sitting waiting to board a delayed ship on an empty stomach.

Thank you for the restaurant recommendation in the first post - have added Les Alizes to The List for my forthcoming Roscoff trip.

We will be sailing on Armorique though, so sadly no all-you-can-eat BF breakfast for us 🙁

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I don't bluff.  

We paid the standard price of £10.45 per person for the All You Can Eat breakfast in La Flora restaurant,  and with Club Voyage discount that came down to £9.40 each. If other people choose to queue and carry their own tray to a formica topped table in the cafeteria, AND PAY MORE for the meal I described then that is up to them. I rather like having a table with a linen tablecloth and napkins, and a young man bringing us hot food covered with a silver dome, AND PAYING LESS than the self service prices. 

With your club voyage do you not benefit from the breakfast allowance which I think this year is around £8.50 per person on the booking. We use it each year on our journey south with Pont or Cap and end up paying around £2.0 for the two of us for a belly buster that lasts all day. Then just a snack from self service before we disembark at Santander/Bilbao for our drive down to Salamanca for our overnight before we travel on. I would not feel comfortable driving for 4hr on a full stomach and it suits our journey style very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I don't bluff.  

I wasn't referring to the price you paid  for breakfast.

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

I wasn't referring to the price you paid  for breakfast.

Was it the fact he stayed in a steerage class cabin on the commoners deck and not up on deck 8 at the luxury end of the ship?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

With your club voyage do you not benefit from the breakfast allowance which I think this year is around £8.50 per person on the booking. We use it each year on our journey south with Pont or Cap and end up paying around £2.0 for the two of us for a belly buster that lasts all day. Then just a snack from self service before we disembark at Santander/Bilbao for our drive down to Salamanca for our overnight before we travel on. I would not feel comfortable driving for 4hr on a full stomach and it suits our journey style very well.

Club Voyage is great value - and the breakfasts are well sufficient for that onward trek south...

• Like 1

On 20/08/2018 at 10:16, Gareth said:

Is that only for day crossings ? We've never had that mentioned Cork/Roscoff sailings (wondering if I can claim 15 yrs worth of hot breakfasts ;) )

• Haha 1

No, night crossIngs absolutely.  Try it next time.  They don’t publicise it, so I’m not surprised you have never heard it proactively mentioned. But the crew know about it and it works.  Just have your breakfast (full buffet) in Le Flora, and then present your Commodore cabin key for swiping when you settle the bill.  You will find you get charged something like £2.20 per head.

However - just to add - I think you have to decline the breakfast delivered to cabin first.  Once you have had croissants and coffee in your cabin, I think that is breakfast “done” for that cabin.  So when they ask you the previous evening when you would like your complimentary breakfast delivered, you have to decline it and explain that you will take breakfast in Le Flora instead.  (If they deliver breakfast to your cabin I think the cabin key is effectively “swiped” in the system to indicate that the complimentary breakfast has been taken.  If you take the cabin breakfast, and then subsequently try to present your cabin key for swiping at Le Flora, I suspect the system will flag it as no longer valid).

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

However - just to add - I think you have to decline the breakfast delivered to cabin first.  Once you have had croissants and coffee in your cabin, I think that is breakfast “done” for that cabin.  So when they ask you the previous evening when you would like your complimentary breakfast delivered, you have to decline it and explain that you will take breakfast in Le Flora instead.  (If they deliver breakfast to your cabin I think the cabin key is effectively “swiped” in the system to indicate that the complimentary breakfast has been taken.  If you take the cabin breakfast, and then subsequently try to present your cabin key for swiping at Le Flora, I suspect the system will flag it as no longer valid).

Yep that's spot on.

• Like 1

I’ve had breakfast in the cabin went down to get some stuff for the onward journey presented my card for a discount and got it all for free , not sure if that’s a club voyage freebie or cabin related but I’ve got it a few times.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 16:20, wortley said: