veryoldbear

Cabin Cleaning

We are regulars on the Portsmouth - Caen route on the Normandie and the MSM, and the cabin cleaning lark seems to be getting worse. As I understood, the kicking you out of the cabin 30 minutes before arrival was to allow cleaning for the return journey. But now the cabin cleaning seems to be done by shore-side subcontractors who don't seem to come onboard until loading starts. They are then faffing about for another 30 minutes or so, leaving passengers stranded grumbling in alleyways or sitting on their bags. BF seem to want their cake and eat it: either let us have cabins until arrival or get cabins ready for oncoming passengers. Grumble grumble.

• Like 5

Jim mentioned the same issue (the cleanliness of cabins on Normandie specifically) in another thread earlier today. The 30 minute warning exists, as far as I'm aware, for the housekeeping staff to strip the beds, remove all the towels and ensure nobody leaves the vessel without their bags etc. The cleaners then come on board once the vessel docks (on my last trip on Bretagne they were waiting on the gangway as we arrived in PIP with their buckets and spray bottles), hit the cabins as quickly as possible and the housekeeping team follow them resetting each cabin with clean bedding, towels and toiletries. Ed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veryoldbear said:

We are regulars on the Portsmouth - Caen route on the Normandie and the MSM, and the cabin cleaning lark seems to be getting worse. As I understood, the kicking you out of the cabin 30 minutes before arrival was to allow cleaning for the return journey. But now the cabin cleaning seems to be done by shore-side subcontractors who don't seem to come onboard until loading starts. They are then faffing about for another 30 minutes or so, leaving passengers stranded grumbling in alleyways or sitting on their bags. BF seem to want their cake and eat it: either let us have cabins until arrival or get cabins ready for oncoming passengers. Grumble grumble.

They've been using contract cleaners on both sides of the channel for a few years now, there's an invasion when docked and an exodus when departing.

Regretfully, I have agree with the consensus that the standard of cabin cleanliness has dropped over the recent years. But, like most contracted out operations, standards are determined by the contracted £ rate paid.  Though, bearing that in mind, at over £500 for just two nights accommodation in a De-luxe or Commodore cabin on the Spanish routes in high season, BF need to look at companies like Melia and compare customer standards.

1 hour ago, merc said:

Regretfully, I have agree with the consensus that the standard of cabin cleanliness has dropped over the recent years. But, like most contracted out operations, standards are determined by the contracted £ rate paid.  Though, bearing that in mind, at over £500 for just two nights accommodation in a De-luxe or Commodore cabin on the Spanish routes in high season, BF need to look at companies like Melia and compare customer standards.

We regularly stay in Melia 3\4 Star on our travels in Spain, Accor Ibis in France and Portugal and Premier Inn in U.K. and I would say that they are just above Pont & Cap for cleanliness.  The  linen and bed comfort is about the same but the room & bathroom could definitely be improved.  Our one trip on economie was definitely not as good a standard and could be improved yet on a passenger knot basis it is the most expensive passage we have booked.  The only problem is/was Melia, Ibis, Premier do not offer a direct passage Santander/Cork!

It must be different on the Plymouth/Roscoff run as soon as we are out of the cabin, about 30 minutes before arrival the crew are stripping bedding and getting the clean stuff up from stores. 

We usually go down to the seventh deck and look out on the approach to  the terminal. I keep asking how they have such fine control over such a big ship as she comes alongside. 

Edited by Aphrodite

On 20/08/2018 at 23:21, jonno said:

They've been using contract cleaners on both sides of the channel for a few years now, there's an invasion when docked and an exodus when departing.

Yes that's right,  my memory is that its always beenthe case ,  it used to be  Elior in Caen and Mitie in  Pompy. A  French author/Journalist Florence Aubenais who had been  held hostage in Iraq  once took a job cleaning the Ferries at Caen and wrote about her experience in a book its called "le Quai de Ouisterham.". From what i understand, she found the life difficult.

See Here (in French)

I found this out when i saw an ad for her book signing tour.

• Like 2

Getting turfed out 30 minutes before arrival on Barfy I find most annoying considering they've got all afternoon to get the cabins ready for the return.. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, d2frs said:

Getting turfed out 30 minutes before arrival on Barfy I find most annoying considering they've got all afternoon to get the cabins ready for the return.. 

Totally agree. It's one small competitive advantage BF have over the airlines and they are just wasting it. Operationally, it might make sense on other routes - not on a route where they have several hours for cleaning.  

ISS were doing the cabin cleaning at Roscoff last night. Considering it was a day crossing arriving from Plymouth, there were constant announcements that cabins were still being cleaned & unavailable until about 10 minutes before departure. All cabins had been booked so I can't comment on the cleanliness standards. I was stuck with a semi-reclining seat. 

The crew  / on board cleaners strip the beds and put fresh bedding in each cabin, then cleaners come on board and clean cabins and make beds , and clean rest of boat .

Obviously there is a fast turnaround so cabins are being done whilst the boat is loading so cabins might not be ready until the boat departs ,  the cleaners get off before the boat leaves ! 

Edited by christophe