Sign in to follow this  
nottingham

Migrant Issues at BF Ports

Crikey! Just caught the end of the news report on the evening news, went onto BBC news website search and thats what came up! Mr Bishops comments elsewhere are better informed.  Shall watch Victoria Derbyshire tomorrow though (even though I find her a very annoying presenter!)

25 minutes ago, nottingham said:

Crikey! Just caught the end of the news report on the evening news, went onto BBC news website search and thats what came up! Mr Bishops comments elsewhere are better informed.  Shall watch Victoria Derbyshire tomorrow though (even though I find her a very annoying presenter!)

Cherbourg is fine. Roscoff is fine. Caen is fairly bad at certain times but it is heavily policed/monitored. Le Havre is fine.

(my recent experiences)

• Like 1

With a similar three sailings to and from Dieppe, does anyone know how they're faring? It's would seem the sailing frequency is what's most attractive, with the likes of Le Havre & Cherbourg having just one a day there's hardly any opportunity to stowaway.

So I've just noticed that the problems at Ouistreham have made it onto the BBC news.  I do wonder if this is possibly only because the BBC hasn't got enough proper news right now, but it still makes me wonder how bad things have got there.  I'll be using that port at the end of my upcoming holiday (going into St Malo and out from Caen (on the night boat)).

I've bee through Caen recently in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017, always to leave France on the night boat (always the MSM except for 2015 which for some reason was the Amorique).  I never noticed any migrants at all there until 2017 and then there were only perhaps a dozen visible in the town square. A couple of bored looking Gendarmes were keeping a watchful eye but it all seemed fairly friendly at least in the early evening.  One of them (the migrants, that is) actually had a joke with me when I went to reclaim my car - asked me for a lift and we both laughed (because it was very obvious I had no space (car was loaded practically to the roof)). 

However if I am to believe the BBC news and the French news then the situation has become a fair bit worse.  Anyone here know if that is really so?  If it is then I will stop for my dinner on the way home somewhere else and only make the final drive to the port after check-in has opened, but that would be very sad.  I like Ouistreham; I like arriving hours early to sit in the cafe and then take a walk to watch the small boats come in. It has always been the perfect end to a holiday. 

- Poggle 

43 minutes ago, jonno said:

With a similar three sailings to and from Dieppe, does anyone know how they're faring? It's would seem the sailing frequency is what's most attractive, with the likes of Le Havre & Cherbourg having just one a day there's hardly any opportunity to stowaway.

From Cherbourg, can't you ferry to Eire, then cross an open border into the UK?

3 minutes ago, nottingham said:

From Cherbourg, can't you ferry to Eire, then cross an open border into the UK?

Yes, although I think the frequency of the sailings should be considered, possibly one a day during the peak then there's only really Dublin as an option, they'd be scooped up rapidly around Pembs Dock and Goodwick.

I was there 3 weeks ago and didn't notice any issues, but had travelled on foot and walked into town and along the beach.  Very pleasant in fact.  However, drove in earlier this year and on the main road in, saw lots of police rounding people up. Certainly never felt under threat there though and will use that route again. 

• Like 1

A friendly reminder to all - let's keep this thread objective, the last one become somewhat political and was closed.

• Confused 1

I’m sure that the migrants are driven by absolute desperation but I do wonder why Ouistreham?

With only three boats a day to the UK that are several hours apart the police and port authorities have time to physically check every truck so the chances of actually getting to the UK this way would be surely be minimal.

- Poggle

Minimal chance is better than no chance in a desperate situation.

Ouistreham has more sailings than Dieppe and Le Havre. Calais has been fortified.

I was in Caen last Sunday to help clear out a flat prior to its sale and noticed significantly more of what I'd call 'transient' residents than last time I was there in April. The flat is in a square just behind the main pedestrianised shopping street, not somewhere you'd particularly wish to venture after dark, and what used to be a small private hotel/hostel catering to workers on a budget during the week has now been requisitioned by the city to house families waiting for permanent accommodation. I don't know if there is a link to the problem at Ouistreham but would suspect that any families turning up at the port are sent back to Caen to avoid the risk of camps springing up. That may be why people are only reporting seeing men and boys hanging around the port. 

Just as an aside to that, my father travelled back through Ouistreham on the 15th July and sent me an email yesterday after seeing the BBC report. He referred to it as 'Ouisterham' and I've noticed a number of posters on here also make the same mistake. The BBC do seem to be spelling it correctly on their web pages but are the journalists mispronouncing it in their reports, leading to this mistake? Ed. 

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Just as an aside to that, my father travelled back through Ouistreham on the 15th July and sent me an email yesterday after seeing the BBC report. He referred to it as 'Ouisterham' and I've noticed a number of posters on here also make the same mistake. The BBC do seem to be spelling it correctly on their web pages but are the journalists mispronouncing it in their reports, leading to this mistake? Ed. 

My Neighbours and friends, Portais  one and all say "weestreeom", they should know as they work in the fishing industry. 

Certain crew call it "weestreeham Riva Bella", which I thinks sounds all together better.  Riva Bella being  the beach,  Ouistreham  the port area.

On 21/08/2018 at 23:05, jonno said:

I sailed to Dieppe and back last month and didn't notice any migrants. Sadly in Ouistreham I do now, every time I sail from that port. 

Edited by SimonP

The accepted pronunciation among the Caennais seems to be 'Oui' [as in 'yes']...'stram'

IIRC Riva-Bella was at one time separate but the official entity is now Ouistreham Riva-Bella.

This is one of the many local communes which make up Caen la Mer. This Communauté Urbaine or agglomération is the local planning authority and provides most of the local services such as libraries, refuse collection etc. It also oversees the Twisto bus service and the redevelopment of the tramway.

NB if you haven't seen our new Alexis de Tocqueville library [pictured] - a few yards beyond the city centre marina – it's well worth a look. Not just a fabulous building, but a busy centre that combines the traditional books-based work with lots of other activities. And just another reminder why we live here: it's even open on most Sunday afternoons. 

bibliot.png

1 hour ago, kenw said:

The accepted pronunciation among the Caennais seems to be 'Oui' [as in 'yes']...'stram'

When I was involved with a twinning group in a village just west of Caen, the accepted pronunciation was "Oui-stré-am". Local accents and usage can vary a lot, just as in England!