Sign in to follow this  
kgst

New Procedure for checking in dogs

Came back from Roscoff to Cork on the Pont Aven on Friday 24th August. 

The normal procedure in Roscoff is to go to the terminal building first & get the dog scanned & the pet on board sticker for the vehicle. 

Did this & then arrived at the boarding gates to be told that we had to take the animal out of the vehicle to be scanned again. We enquired why & were told

That it was because of the level of animal trafficing & that BF had to be more careful. 

Just wondering is this procedure being used in other ports or is it only Roscoff. Seems pointless to have to go to the bother of going to the terminal building first -join a queue to have the dog scanned when it is going to be done anyway at the boarding gates

Quick question, did they scan the dog or give the scanner to you? only asking as they have never scanned our dog in over 10 years at Cherbourg but always given me the scanner in fact they hardly look over the desk to check we have a dog at all.

8 minutes ago, KeynshamKid said:

Quick question, did they scan the dog or give the scanner to you? only asking as they have never scanned our dog in over 10 years at Cherbourg but always given me the scanner in fact they hardly look over the desk to check we have a dog at all.

In the terminal building they did the scanning . at the boarding gate they gave the scanner to us to do it.

With a large German Sheperd - I think that might influence the staff member !

In Portsmouth and Cherbourg (and Dunkerque and Calais) have only ever been handed the scanner at the check-in booth and never visited the terminal.

Eurotunnel is slightly different in that you have to visit the Pet Centre in Calais prior to check-in to complete the paperwork and get a sticker. I'm assuming they also then authorise you being able to check-in at the normal booths. Going over to the continent from Folkestone no checking is done.

Don't know about the ferry port you are on about,but it is common practice for owners to scan there pets themselves.it can be very easy to take a dog onto ferries without passports etc.

Our dog who is 5 in September, and is now on her 3rd passport ( the last 2 French as they are 20 Euros vs 65 pounds) has never ever been scanned by a Brittany Ferries employee or representative, I believe someone in BF towers has risk assessed this and decided its better for owners to scan .

As Jim says Eurotunnel ex France is different. But still the pet owner scans the animal but at least the eurotunnel rep witnesses this being carried out.

with the BF method you could have a dog chip matching the passport in your pocket, boot or elsewhere.

The recommendations of the drug companies who make vermifuge Drug is to treat once every 6 months,. Rabies vaccines are administered yearly in France, for exactly the same vaccine 3 yearly in the Uk. Because of the stupid vermifuge regs of DEFRA/APHA, Our dog Belle is treated sometime 4 or even 5 times when only one treatment is recommended, by the drug manufacturer. And we have to suffer the consequences eg  vomit/Diarrhoea.

i have an email from APHA which says that all pets must have been treated for rabies before they can travel to a European country, and yet as Jim says on Eurotunnel ex the UK no checks are made.

The pet travel scheme is a complete but expensive farce, it is a flawed system policed by the same people who operate it on behalf of HM gov.  So fed up am I with being told my dogs credentials are not in conformity, because this is not filled in, or this should be here and not there, or that should be laminated because thats a sticker and not hand written. I have downloaded  the guidance to UK vets, I just wish that vets would read it. 

Travelling with a dog does have an advantage, since we have had ours, and taken her with us in the car, We have never ever been pulled over at Portsmouth for a security check,  it might be that we are lucky, but we travel so often, that it appears  to us it’s not just BF who have risk assessed dog carrying cars as a potential Health and Safety risk to employees.

I’m not going to mention the absolutely disgusting non existent dog friendly facilities provided by Portsmouth city Council whose elected reps should hang there heads in shame, dogs pay fares too and BF should lobby PCC for more humane facilities at PIP, The gold standard for which must be those at Folkestone and Coquelles.

• Like 1

That is news to me that dogs must have rabies treatment before leaving uk.up to 3 years ago I did European pet transport and was advised by defra that rabies treatment was not needed to leave the uk and I asked bf at Plymouth and they said it was not needed to leave the uk also.one other point when leaving the uk you do not have to have pet scanned either.i know some bf staff say they must be scanned but they are wrong on this point.i only took two or three dogs over to Spain without passports and bf staff were causing a bit of a stink up about it but I was still allowed onto the ferry.so to stop all of the hassle and ensured all pets had there jabs up to date.i know on mainland Europe rabies jabs are every year but in the uk it is 3 years.

12 hours ago, nodwad said:

That is news to me that dogs must have rabies treatment before leaving uk.up to 3 years ago I did European pet transport and was advised by defra that rabies treatment was not needed to leave the uk and I asked bf at Plymouth and they said it was not needed to leave the uk also.one other point when leaving the uk you do not have to have pet scanned either.i know some bf staff say they must be scanned but they are wrong on this point.i only took two or three dogs over to Spain without passports and bf staff were causing a bit of a stink up about it but I was still allowed onto the ferry.so to stop all of the hassle and ensured all pets had there jabs up to date.i know on mainland Europe rabies jabs are every year but in the uk it is 3 years.

A pet must have valid rabies vaccination for the passport to be issued, and there must have been at least 3 weeks but no more than 3 years since the vaccination. I agree with Nodwad, that as far as I am aware you can travel out of the UK straight away, but can't return until that 3 week period for the vaccine has passed. 

Whilst pets can be scanned on the way out, this doesn't need to be done (Eurotunnel don't) but I imagine does provide a useful cross-check to the operators that do it to show all the paperwork matches and help avoid problems on the return leg.

I understood that travel to France  was not permitted within 21 days of the dog having its rabies jab.

The French have also fairly recently gone over to 3 yearly rabies jabs. This information was given to me by both our English and French vets.

The worm treatment given to dogs is to kill off a particular worm that we do not have in this country. This worm is quite dangerous to human health or so I am told. 

We have always scanned our own dog but always in the sight of the checking-in person 

Edited by KeithR
Addition

No you will find most vets are not very well informed about the rules of pet transport.many times I have had to tell English and Spanish vets the rules of pet travel.yes if pet has had no rabies jab it must have one done before you come back to the uk i.e. you must have your pet treated for rabies no less then three weeks before coming back to the uk.you are correct about the worming treatment must be carried out no less than 24 hours coming back to the uk and no more than 120 hours.hope this helps.ps it is a very grey area even bf staff are not very good at the rules either.

Couple years ago a vet in Brittany got his knickers in a right knot as our dogs routine annual boosters where not listed on the Pet Passport luckily I had the Vaccination record card with me and was able to prove she was up to date with her jabs. We were staying in the depths of the countryside and I think he was more at home with larger animals.