martijon

St Faith

St Faith left yesterday via the Western channel on her way down to Falmouth for annual survey and bottom scrape.

Edited by adicat
tried to get rid of empty quote as appeared in error

And to increase height for bigger lorries .so the faith lives on for a while ....she should be able to take the double deck lorries that vow can take which would of caused problems when vow is out of service..

10 hours ago, eagleeye said:

The only way to increase the height of the car deck is to remove one of the mezzanine decks completely..

I did wonder when I read this. Is this definitely happening?

There has to be something in the pipeline to match red funnel s new freight ship .there are an increasing number of double deck lorries on the island.not sure which of Wightlink’s ships can accommodate these .

24 minutes ago, bekkia said:

Is one of the mezzanine decks already missing or it it just lowered?

https://www.facebook.com/92365256831/posts/10156723090106832/

24 minutes ago, bekkia said:

Is one of the mezzanine decks already missing or it it just lowered?

https://www.facebook.com/92365256831/posts/10156723090106832/

Looks like it’s gone ..makes sense to get rid of it ..as vow and Clare can take a lot of cars without mezz decks ..

Makes her a little more useless at peak times as Christmas traffic mainly cars. Summer Saturdays  lots of cars little freight. VOW can easily cover freight so St Cecilia is more useful at Christmas and in Summer as she can double deck. 

Edited by adicat

It’s about the double deck lorries.they are missing out on a lot of freight because of it so until another vow is built this will mean they have two ferries that can carry them 

Bet islanders don't want them and i think they are dangerous even in slight wind. They are the St Clare of the road. Until they start crashing and causing many deaths on the road they will just get heavier and bigger and ruin our roads and villages. Greed greed greed. More use of freight trains needed for long distance in this country with smaller lorries at the freight terminal for more local dispatch. It's so nice on a Sunday driving from South to North in this country when motorways not jammed with too many lorries that need not be there. You see 20 of a certain company artics all going the same way that could have 1 train driver and clear the roads. 

Edited by adicat
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adicat said:

Bet islanders don't want them and i think they are dangerous even in slight wind. They are the St Clare of the road. Until they start crashing and causing many deaths on the road they will just get heavier and bigger and ruin our roads and villages. Greed greed greed. More use of freight trains needed for long distance in this country with smaller lorries at the freight terminal for more local dispatch. It's so nice on a Sunday driving from South to North in this country when motorways not jammed with too many lorries that need not be there. You see 20 of a certain company artics all going the same way that could have 1 train driver and clear the roads. 

So how does a freight train get across the Solent?🤔

So if they are investing money (even a small amount) into Faith, it suggests she is staying on for probably three years at least. So where does this leave St Cecilia, now the oldest ship on the Solent routes and with noises being made about her departure? It makes very little sense to me to keep a W-class at Portsmouth - let's be honest, they are ill-suited to the eastern route, struggle in bad weather in my experience and if the recent problems with the Sky are anything to go by there is a definite question mark over their design and/or build as they get older I would think. Clare isn't too good in bad weather either, VoW I don't know about but even if she was a heavy weather champion that would still leave the service in the hands of just her and Faith whenever it gets a bit blowy. Mechanical problems are a whole other can of worms in terms of covering the service too.

The W-class are new enough to still have a high-ish value, it would make sense to me to sell one of those and keep a four-boat service at Portsmouth consisting of VoW, Clare, Faith and Cecilia in descending order of usage - potentially still allowing a 2-boat (or 3-boat service if VoW proves capable) in bad weather, plus more flexible cover for breakdowns. An order for a sister to VoW could go in at some point, and when that arrives (assuming good weather abilities) Cecilia and Faith could retire and leave the service in the hands of the three big boats.

I confess I don't have any insider info on the overall condition of Cecilia, but having travelled extensively on both the remaining original Saints in recent years Cecilia gives the impression of being in better nick than Faith, as well as having a better reliability record. If Faith apparently has a few years of Portsmouth service left in her, I would imagine Cecilia does too, and she is certainly more capable and flexible than the Wight Sun. Against that I would guess her crewing and maintenance costs are higher than a W-class (depending on how many engines the Ws get through!) but even so it still makes more sense to me. From what I've seen I don't think this is the solution Wightlink will take though unfortunately.

Edited by Pigeonrat

33 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

There is only a 3 boat service on the the fishbourne route for the whole of next year.so I can guess which one is going soon

Both Cecilia and the Sun then. Seems short-sighted, but it seems to be the way things are going. The flexibility of the half hour services are one of the things keeping me at Wightlink so if they go it's one more reason to decamp to Red Funnel I guess.

Weren't the W class pretty specifically built for the route? I can't think of where else they would fit in and I suspect that their engine problems would have devalued them heavily.

4 hours ago, eagleeye said:

There is only a 3 boat service on the the fishbourne route for the whole of next year.so I can guess which one is going soon

'St Cecilia' is leaving the Wightlink Fleet.

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:54, bekkia said:

So how does a freight train get across the Solent?🤔

The statement re the large lorries were re the Islanders the rest was a general statement of lorries on the roads through out  Britain as the island does not have motorways and North to South as such.:D

Edited by adicat

On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:53, eagleeye said:

They will keep the 3 w class ..cause they fit on both routes and can cover refits festivals etc 

To say they fit on both routes is a stretch as they don't really fit Portsmouth and Fishbourne with out leaving a large gap at the end of the linkspan, so I guess if you say they fit then they will also fit many other linkspans in the same way so potentially they could go almost anywhere, even with a slight tweak. Make Lymington passenger only service, save all the lorries through Lyndhurst etc. It does not take much longer on the motorway to Portsmouth for car ferry.

On 19/12/2018 at 10:53, eagleeye said:

They will keep the 3 w class ..cause they fit on both routes and can cover refits festivals etc 

Besides that, the Wight Class are only 9 years old.

Size wise even only 9 years they have a limited role and that's western route. One has had a real problem with fires. They have wind limitations. They are large for something taking 60 odd cars and seem a bit of a pain to load when on Portsmouth route. I would certainly be looking seriously at the western route and whether further investment is good or money flushed away. 

1 hour ago, adicat said:

Size wise even only 9 years they have a limited role and that's western route. One has had a real problem with fires. They have wind limitations. They are large for something taking 60 odd cars and seem a bit of a pain to load when on Portsmouth route. I would certainly be looking seriously at the western route and whether further investment is good or money flushed away. 

I must confess, I find the W-class a rather odd design. They look massive but inside they just aren't, unlike St Clare which is as big inside as it looks. I was a regular user when they came in and they absolutely dwarfed the C-Class, you had to see them side by side to believe it. But once I went on board for the first time (I seem to recall Wight Light was the first into service), I couldn't for the life of me work out what that massive superstructure (and all the downsides with weather and appearance that brings) was being used for...indeed, alternating between the Light and the Cenwulf/Cenred - think Caedmon had already been put down by that point - during the transition period it seemed they both offered a very similar amount of space for both cars and people. Arguably the lounges on the W are slightly bigger in terms of square feet but they don't really feel it due to the layout.

Not a *bad* design really...just very odd and not very efficient packaging inside in my view. Comparing a W-class to a C-class was like comparing a BMW Mini to an Issigonis original!

Back on topic, has anyone got a leaving date for St Cecilia? Would be nice to travel on her one last time, I think she was the first Saint I went on back in about 1989 (yellow seats on the outer deck so I think it was her that had that).

Edited by Pigeonrat