martijon

St Faith

The W class have the large superstructure because the Mezzanine deck lifts into the lounge space, hence why there is seemingly less passenger space.

9 hours ago, adicat said:

The statement re the large lorries were re the Islanders the rest was a general statement of lorries on the roads through out  Britain as the island does not have motorways and North to South as such.:D

But the large lorries was linked to the island and made in a forum about ferries!

27 minutes ago, bekkia said:

The W class have the large superstructure because the Mezzanine deck lifts into the lounge space, hence why there is seemingly less passenger space.

Yes indeed, we call it "the coffin" and I can't say it's my first choice as it seems to take forever to be lowered down to drive off, I think Wightlink refer to it more politely as the "garage deck". But it knackers the lounge layout in exchange for maybe ten cars extra over the C-class? A dozen at most? One wonders if it was always intended or a last-ditch addition once it was realised the car capacity as it stood would be no greater.

I thought the Lymington Harbour lot made far too much fuss about the W-class coming in, but by making them look so huge for so little gain, I think WL did inadvertently stoke the flames a bit...

11 hours ago, bekkia said:

But the large lorries was linked to the island and made in a forum about ferries!

And allof the forums on this site stick 100% to the topics.....really?

7 hours ago, adicat said:

And allof the forums on this site stick 100% to the topics.....really?

In fairness the discussion is generally around the topic of ferries, yes!

You must remember the Barfleur one I think it was. Went way off on a tangent. Record number of posts I think. 

Mine was linked in as started with IOW and lorries 're ferry but had a little add on. Let's say as it was about road traffic it was a diversion 😁

Happy new year all....as st faith has been in dry dock for over 4 weeks must of had some major work done on her and I reckon she must be coming back soon and as she can now take double deck lorries she may look different..the latest thing being delivered to the island is hundreds of these super lodges for holiday camps one of which was stuck on a ferry recently so extra height would help with these as well ..

1 hour ago, eagleeye said:

St Clare is on her way to Falmouth ..just 2 ships in Pompey 

Is it St Cecilia and VoW running the service now? If so I might have to go for a ride on Friday, experience the oldest and the newest.

24 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

St Faith is due to leave Falmouth by the end of this week,

Lol she is needed for the 06 30 departure from Pompey tomorrow and Friday .

23 hours ago, bekkia said:

Is it St Cecilia and VoW running the service now? If so I might have to go for a ride on Friday, experience the oldest and the newest.

The oldest and the newest are working hard today. I crossed Portsmouth to Fishbourne in VoW, sat around for an hour or so and then returned on St Cecilia. I preferred Cecilia, much more character and proper ship like noises!

They save on crew expenses apparently so send down a second vessel, crew stay overnight and bring back completed vessel. Looks like hourly service tomorrow. The 1600 today left full leaving 2 artics and quite a few cars which had to wait until 1700.

52 minutes ago, adicat said:

They save on crew expenses apparently so send down a second vessel, crew stay overnight and bring back completed vessel. Looks like hourly service tomorrow. The 1600 today left full leaving 2 artics and quite a few cars which had to wait until 1700.

Hourly is the service that's been advertised so nothing untoward there. 16:00 today was St Cecilia so the smaller of the available vessels. 17:00 would have been VoW.

St faith is next to st Clare in Falmouth at the moment after coming out of dry dock so she will probably come back tomorrow.she must of had lots of work done as she was in there over a month ....makes sense to use the same crew and saves money ..

Hmm so the "live" timetable only shows the on the hour sailings not the half past the hour sailings listed on the printed timetable. So bearing in mind that they cannot offer the advertised service you'd think they would be advising of the issues on the live service status wouldn't you. Unsurprisingly... there is no mention of it.

Not according to this timetable which is on their website 

C63069A1-CE5B-4EB2-A6B7-8F256506A909.png

Yes the live one shows hourly and I thought there would be a notification on the service status for tomorrow but as said, nothing,

It is only when you try to book that you discover that there will only be the two ships operating (and some of their sailings are fully booked). Not only is there no indication on the Service Status page that the published service is not being run, but those of us who subscribe to the text alerts of changes to the timetable have not received any. It looks very much as though the policy is not to say anything and hope that no one notices.

This sort of thing also makes me wonder about how the service reliability statistics are being calculated - the claimed 99.7% figure for Portsmouth - Fishbourne is hard to believe. When is a cancellation not a cancellation?

Mind you, Wightlink may not be the only people suspected of misleading behaviour. On another forum Red Funnel are also accused of claiming that service status was ‘good’ when there were actually substantial delays.

You can publish a timetable and put it up on the ticket office 10 minutes before a sailing .as long as it’s posted it is a timetable .maybe authorities should ban this practice.generally tho I think the ferries run a good service they are overwhelmed by the amount of cars that want to travel.years ago most families had 1 car that was small now every member of the family over 17 has a car and some of them are the size of a small lorry.

You can publish a timetable and put it up on the ticket office 10 minutes before a sailing .as long as it’s posted it is a timetable .maybe authorities should ban this practice.generally tho I think the ferries run a good service they are overwhelmed by the amount of cars that want to travel.years ago most families had 1 car that was small now every member of the family over 17 has a car and some of them are the size of a small lorry.

Yes although the published (printed) timetable differs from the "live" (actual) timetable so which one matters for the purpose of calculating service reliability and punctuality?