martijon

St Faith

They removed one of the Mezzanine Decks as planned plus closed in some of the windows so they can now use the Cavotec Mooring System, but it seems they forgot to paint her.

WL1.jpg

41 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

They removed one of the Mezzanine Decks as planned plus closed in some of the windows so they can now use the Cavotec Mooring System, but it seems they forgot to paint her.

WL1.jpg

Be fair! They painted the new metal bits!

I assume the removed the glass and the interior has something to replace the glass-making you're not just looking out into the back of the welded in plates?

12 hours ago, bekkia said:

Be fair! They painted the new metal bits!

I assume the removed the glass and the interior has something to replace the glass-making you're not just looking out into the back of the welded in plates?

Surely there must be some other dramatic change to her for the length of absence or did the dry dock workers break for Christmas for whole of December? 

Edited by adicat

I would guess quite significant changes to the hydraulic system were made to accommodate removal of mezzanine deck. I wonder also about ballast arrangements as it could well have a very imbalanced load now.

Yes, the stability implications could be quite interesting. Double height lorries are not necessarily heavier than smaller ones so load management would need to be reassessed at the least.

The mezzanine deck itself must have weighed a bit.

Edited by cvabishop

Yes of course they did. But the removal of a heavy part of the ship's structure coupled with the introduction of a different class of freight suggests that some recalibration of working procedures would be needed!

Was she in drydock for the entirety of her stay? She may have been inclined to get her new Vertical Centre of Gravity.

It was one of the first things I thought of - with the deck removed that is a reasonable weight removed from her port side - was it compensated for (ie solid ballast), or just extra water ballast. Lowering the VCG should make her more stable - will be interesting to see how her seakeeping is now!

Am I right in thinking that it is the starboard side which has had 3 or 4 windows removed and steelwork added to cover both the window spaces and what was the open space below only the car deck?

If so, steel is heavier than glass I would think so that's further weight imbalance. 

13 hours ago, The Ferry Man said:

Was she in drydock for the entirety of her stay? She may have been inclined to get her new Vertical Centre of Gravity.

It was one of the first things I thought of - with the deck removed that is a reasonable weight removed from her port side - was it compensated for (ie solid ballast), or just extra water ballast. Lowering the VCG should make her more stable - will be interesting to see how her seakeeping is now!

She was in drydock for at least 4 weeks ...

Guess the port side would have been done for Fishbourne berthing as that's the other side if they have that system there. Quite often the tall lorries according to drivers are quite empty and could be accommodated in a rigid. Guess its logistics re drivers and their HGV licence 1 or 2. She does have a slight list to starboard when I saw her Thursday coming alongside layby. I did think her starboard deck was her worst speed wise but maybe they were in the end as slow as each other, Could they not have renewed all the hydrolics and wires etc to make the deck as good as new speedwise? Not seen it operation yet so it may be faster than before.

I wonder whether they have removed the sliding doors that gave access to the now-removed mezzanine deck and plated over the gaps, or simply left the doors as non-functioning?

5 hours ago, adicat said:

Guess the port side would have been done for Fishbourne berthing as that's the other side if they have that system there. Quite often the tall lorries according to drivers are quite empty and could be accommodated in a rigid. Guess its logistics re drivers and their HGV licence 1 or 2. She does have a slight list to starboard when I saw her Thursday coming alongside layby. I did think her starboard deck was her worst speed wise but maybe they were in the end as slow as each other, Could they not have renewed all the hydrolics and wires etc to make the deck as good as new speedwise? Not seen it operation yet so it may be faster than before.

Ah but isn't it forward in at Fishbourne? So starboard side vacuum berthing at both ends but with the ship facing different ways to accommodate the need for VoW and St Faith turning.

16 hours ago, bekkia said:

Ah but isn't it forward in at Fishbourne? So starboard side vacuum berthing at both ends but with the ship facing different ways to accommodate the need for VoW and St Faith turning.

It is Bow first Fishbourne but the tie up is on the Port side and Gunwharf the starboard side so they will have the berthing suckers on the Port side.

On 03/01/2019 at 23:35, Hermit said:

It is only when you try to book that you discover that there will only be the two ships operating (and some of their sailings are fully booked). Not only is there no indication on the Service Status page that the published service is not being run, but those of us who subscribe to the text alerts of changes to the timetable have not received any. It looks very much as though the policy is not to say anything and hope that no one notices.

This sort of thing also makes me wonder about how the service reliability statistics are being calculated - the claimed 99.7% figure for Portsmouth - Fishbourne is hard to believe. When is a cancellation not a cancellation?

Mind you, Wightlink may not be the only people suspected of misleading behaviour. On another forum Red Funnel are also accused of claiming that service status was ‘good’ when there were actually substantial delays.

I asked Wightlink why there were no notifications of the Friday cancellations and they have now apologised for the omission. The cancellations the following week while St Faith was getting back from Falmouth were publicised in the normal way, so let’s hope the Friday silence was a one-off.