• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

St Faith this afternoon at Dunkerque¬†ūüėÉ

St Faith at Dunkerque this afternoon 

Perhaps this is the key to the missing extra BF sailungs...

Posted Images

That was put up some time ago probably even before first round of tiers came in. Now with most people in tier 2 or 3 and you can't get together until 23rd, then maybe she will get a run out 23rd, 24th and 27th. 

But on 21st/22nd relatives staying over Christmas not supposed to travel if they are staying with replies as only 5 day rule. Should Wightlink/Red funnel take bookings for more than 5 days from 23rd? Not really their job but could question people and remind them of the rules.

1 hour ago, adicat said:

But on 21st/22nd relatives staying over Christmas not supposed to travel if they are staying with replies as only 5 day rule. Should Wightlink/Red funnel take bookings for more than 5 days from 23rd? Not really their job but could question people and remind them of the rules.

Ferries are full to their reduced capacity today ....already   there is a webcam at red funnel never seen it this busy since summer

• 2 months later...

Oddly this week they have the Faith as running boat rather than the Clare - shows just how little the traffic levels are at the moment.  This means of course the Faith is operating alone on the weekend roster.  The website is showing with delays of 3 hours - presumably they cancelled a couple of sailings earlier because of the fog.  However Faith is now at Fishbourne at 11.45, meaning that she will leave on time with her 1200 sailing, (though that might be the 1000, or even 0800).  That would make her 2 or 4 hours late - if it was 3, she would be showing at Gunwharf...

7 hours ago, martijon said:

Oddly this week they have the Faith as running boat rather than the Clare - shows just how little the traffic levels are at the moment.  This means of course the Faith is operating alone on the weekend roster.  The website is showing with delays of 3 hours - presumably they cancelled a couple of sailings earlier because of the fog.  However Faith is now at Fishbourne at 11.45, meaning that she will leave on time with her 1200 sailing, (though that might be the 1000, or even 0800

7 hours ago, martijon said:

Fog was bad this morning red funnel never got going till 10.30 

Edited by eagleeye
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot understand why 2 vessels are running. There cannot be enough essential travel traffic for such and half term doesnt come into the equation as doesnt change essential travel. Clare must be able to cope with it. That or people travelling when they shouldn't.

51 minutes ago, adicat said:

I cannot understand why 2 vessels are running. There cannot be enough essential travel traffic for such and half term doesnt come into the equation as doesnt change essential travel. Clare must be able to cope with it. That or people travelling when they shouldn't.

Sadly, with no customs or immigration checks and I believe in the past Wightlink have stated that it is not their job to question passengers right to travel, there is no control unless Police resources were deployed.

Perhaps the booking system should not accept family bookings, just a van and 1 or car and 1. I am sure the IOW police could if they wanted to stop cars coming off and turn them round again. It would be a few policeman at each of the 3 ports. People would then have wasted theirt money and if they knew this was going to happen wouldnt travel.The IOW got in a mess after Christmas because of people travelling there during the festive season and went from lowest rate over 100,000 to country's highest rate. There seem to be lots of guidelines but they all seem to be just that and not much rule enforcement.

Edited by adicat
1 hour ago, adicat said:

Perhaps the booking system should not accept family bookings, just a van and 1 or car and 1. I am sure the IOW police could if they wanted to stop cars coming off and turn them round again. It would be a few policeman at each of the 3 ports. People would then have wasted theirt money and if they knew this was going to happen wouldnt travel.The IOW got in a mess after Christmas because of people travelling there during the festive season and went from lowest rate over 100,000 to country's highest rate. There seem to be lots of guidelines but they all seem to be just that and not much rule enforcement.

My Grandparents retired to Ventnor in the 30's. I remember, as a very (very!) young boy in 1944,  mother having to show a letter of invitation from Grandad to a Sten gun toting RN policeman in white gaiters before being allowed to go up the gangway on one of the Denny paddlers.

Certainly kept my much loved Island free of German Spies! when we saw troops practicing for D Day, scaling the cliffs between Ventnor and Steephill Cove. The Pylons on Boniface being well guarded and the beach at Ventnor protected by angle iron and barbed wire emplacements, the center section of the pier having been blown up by Army engineers .

They wouldn't have liked it up em Capt Mainwaring!!¬†ūüėĀ

Edited by colinschandler
  • Haha 1