martijon

St Faith

Unfortunately, VoW, like St Clare is like a large sail. If the wind catches her, she's unstoppable. St Clare got caught by the wind inside the harbour about 4 or 5 years ago and a tug had to rush out to assist. 

VoW has an issue with one of her Propellers but could operate normally at a lower speed but it was decided to take her off the run due to safety reasons caused by the high winds.

People I know had there sailing put back 3 hours but managed to switch to red funnel which is interesting because their ships are huge as well .just seem to be so many problems lately .i rarely leave the island now apart from holidays as it always seem to be a problem getting on or off just easier not to bother.the stories I hear now are endless not of one ferry operator but all of them ...

I'm a little surprised that St. Faith was kept on rather than St. Cecilia. I understand that St. Faith is slightly newer but I was under the impression from various posts that St. Cecilia was in slightly better order than St Faith. Although I suppose that there could have been more resale value in St. Cecilia to St. Faith so that could have contributed to it. I suppose eventually, St. Faith will join them either way, unless Wightlink are planning to hold on it for the long term.

Was any other work done when the mezz deck was removed, I'm assuming that the interior etc. is the same as it's always been?

On 13/01/2019 at 15:54, Hermit said:

I wonder whether they have removed the sliding doors that gave access to the now-removed mezzanine deck and plated over the gaps, or simply left the doors as non-functioning?

To answer my own query, the doors are gone and have been replaced by steel panels. There are still some relics of the previous mezzanine deck - on the stairways, there is at least one surviving but inoperative door push button, and there remains a ‘stairway to passenger lounges’ sign on the upper wall of the deck.

The only other modification I noticed, which has already been mentioned, was the addition of plates for the new docking system. These are asymmetric, and block off the view from a couple of bays each side. They have been finished tidily with new panelling.

St Faith is in the unaccustomed position of being sole ship this afternoon under the reduced timetable this week, but future opportunities to travel on her will be more limited: the era of crossing on the saints, which has been part of islanders’ lives for so long, is coming to an end.

With this temporary timetable, there is no 1300 or 1500 today or tomorrow, meaning a 1 boat service for a 4 hour period - on Thursday and Friday it goes back to hourly.  Just shows how much traffic is deserting Wightlink at the moment; this has never been the case apart from at weekends since about 1980

hardly anyone on the island can afford to go to the mainland so no point running empty boats lol ..I saw a red funnel come in with only 3 cars and an artic waiting to get on ..and Yarmouth today a dozen cars and a petrol tanker waiting with the boat in ..

On 03/01/2019 at 23:35, Hermit said:

1 hour ago, adicat said:

Why is VOW out of service again? Should be a 2 ship operation even with reductions.

The first message, on Friday, attributed the temporary timetable to the need ‘to complete trials on a new engine on board one of our ships’. By Monday the reason was ‘due to one of our ships delayed return from annual refit’, which points the finger away from VoW. Clear as mud.

Even with the service reduction, the 12 o’clock sailing from Gunwharf was far from full - no need to use the surviving mezzanine deck.

Are we to see a 2 hourly middle of the day Winter timetable from 2020 if that's the traffic during the middle of the day? Following the routes investment from 1961.... the service got better with investment in 2 new larger vessels in 1961, additional investment of largest vessel in 1969 and then 1973 further investment of triplets meant more sailings and more cars going on peak times with 30 minute intervals.. Then between 1983-1989 huge investment with Saint class and capacity peaked with same 30 minute intervals and the L-Y route got boosted with 2 additional vessels and the retirement of Freshwater. Then 2001 St Clare came in to increase capacity but turned out by then other 4 could not take so many cars and so really a stop the drop in capacity achieved. The 5 vessel service did seem to do nothing as you could not turn 5 vessels round in 2 hours so capacity not actually increased in real terms. Sadly St Clare had turn round time issues at peak and so delays on Summer Saturdays (guess that was also a problem with Cuthred so 1970/80s so not all honey and flowers then). Would it be correct to say investment to increase capacity and increase sailings is now on the ships side, investment to tread water at best? Is there a need to have increased peak capacity if people can be persuaded to go at different times, thus spreading the peak over longer period? The terminal investments have been a major boost for the route and it needs to be backed up by reliable modern vessels that can run in most weathers, If the vehicle numbers are not sustained then they will not want to invest in another Hybrid vessel which you can understand. The biggest worry is when all 3 are large high sided vessels are the only ones and nothing else, a gusty day will see no car ferry service as no vessels to bring in as cover.

Wightlink keep saying vessel late back from refit...was Faith not due to be away for that long and Clare was only usual time so why late back.

Bit like when you mot your car I suppose all sorts of problems can emerge that need fixing to make it go for another year and it’s better to do it now whilst it’s quiet 

Does anyone know what running order the ships would normally be on (assuming the wretched Clare is actually running)? Going to the island this weekend and would like to get on VoW or St Faith, and avoid St Clare and whichever W-Class if possible. I know the main boat used to be the odd hours from Portsmouth and evens from Fishbourne with the second boat the other way round, so assume VoW and Clare respectively, with Faith on the half-hours where they still exist...

St Faith seems on seem to be doing strange things this morning, have watched it sail up the harbour, have a look at PIP and now has sailed straight out of the harbour as if it is on passage to the IOW. Any ideas Tony.