• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

St Faith this afternoon at Dunkerque¬†ūüėÉ

St Faith at Dunkerque this afternoon 

Perhaps this is the key to the missing extra BF sailungs...

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

She has had her other mezzanine deck removed last week 

How come, I wonder? They add so much to the capacity. Are they still nervous after the incident with St Helen (which must have been, what, 6 years ago now?) They were still using the mezz deck on the St Clare when I travelled back to the mainland a couple of weeks ago so presumably not a company-wide policy.

I know Wightlink are in a bit of financial trouble at the moment apparently but surely the scrap value of a mezzanine deck won't keep them afloat, if you'll pardon the pun!

1 hour ago, eagleeye said:

St faith only doing 3 knots off Portland so must be rough down there ..on her way to Falmouth 

Looking at the forecast, don’t think it’ll be very nice on there, no proper cabins, air beds in the main lounge. Not really a ideal time to be going there this week.

22 minutes ago, Pigeonrat said:

How come, I wonder? They add so much to the capacity. Are they still nervous after the incident with St Helen (which must have been, what, 6 years ago now?) They were still using the mezz deck on the St Clare when I travelled back to the mainland a couple of weeks ago so presumably not a company-wide policy.

I know Wightlink are in a bit of financial trouble at the moment apparently but surely the scrap value of a mezzanine deck won't keep them afloat, if you'll pardon the pun!

I don’t think they used it as every time I saw her in service she was flat loaded ..

Just now, eagleeye said:

I don’t think they used it as every time I saw her in service she was flat loaded ..

Also I believe she can carry those double deck artics now as well unlike the Clare so when vow is out they still have ferry that can take them 

2 hours ago, eagleeye said:

Also I believe she can carry those double deck artics now as well unlike the Clare so when vow is out they still have ferry that can take them 

Ah, I see, thanks - yes, that makes sense. Presumably also why the VoW doesn't have them fitted either, which surprised me when I travelled on her the first time. Just think of the capacity if she did!

Poor old Faith probably starting to look a bit odd now, with mezz deck doors welded up and windows plated over for the mooring system!

I wonder if they have scrapped the mezz decks or kept them for when the Italians take her away ?

I wonder who the Captain is, seemed to stay out in the weather longer than they should, it was never going to get any better 

Edited by captjack
2 minutes ago, adicat said:

To be honest, with no mezz she is not going to be much good as a second boat when vow out for survey. W class would be more cost effective to run.

Factor in less cars less passengers less weight means cheaper crossings ...because less crew ..less fuel ‚õĹÔłŹ faster turnaround ..also I reckon they were knackered and needed money spent on them ..since they got rid of the fuel storage depot over here there is a bigger demand for hazard loads so may be used more as a freight boat like the kestrel but with the advantage that she can be used as both ..

18 hours ago, Paully said:

Looks like shes looking for a lee in Portland bay...Cant say I blame them.

According to AIS, she is not due in Falmouth until tomorrow anyhow. Maybe she is waiting for Red Eagle to vacate the dock first. From what I can see, there is only 20 knots of wind from the SW, which isn't too bad at all.

16 minutes ago, Danim24 said:

According to AIS, she is not due in Falmouth until tomorrow anyhow. Maybe she is waiting for Red Eagle to vacate the dock first. From what I can see, there is only 20 knots of wind from the SW, which isn't too bad at all.

Don`t know, we weren`t there last night but they were..

1 hour ago, Danim24 said:

St Faith is going into dock 3 .Red eagle is in dock4

1 hour ago, eagleeye said:

St Faith is going into dock 3 .Red eagle is in dock4

Either way, all three docks are occupied! So she won't be going anywhere until one becomes free.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Don`t know, we weren`t there last night but they were..

Not sure how relevant that is..... if it is, then the latter point of this thread has become pointless.

6 hours ago, adicat said:

Does anyone know if the other old Saints use the mezz decks on their current route (covid dates aside).

I think somebody confirmed that they do not, although as far as I can see from photos St Catherine/GB Conte and St Cecilia/Nando Murrau still have them fitted. St Helen/Anna Mur had hers removed whilst still in service with Wightlink and as far as I can see Delcomar haven't reinstated them.

Would be interested if someone knows for definite that they are not being used, I would assume they are required to be kept in serviceable condition if fitted so perhaps they may be brought back into service in Italy if the extra capacity is needed. Otherwise you would have thought they would all have been removed?

I was in Sardinia a year or so back and the St Helen was using her 1 remaining deck on certain trips but not often.  The ones on the St Catherine were undergoing maintenance and were being raised/lowered by the contractors as required.  I did ask one of the crew if they were used much, and his reply was "not often, but yes if we need to"