Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Bretagne out and back .

10 hours ago, cvabishop said:

No it wouldn't work economically. As said earlier, where would you park the ship? She wouldn't fit in the lock to the inner harbour at St St Malo. If you decommission the engines then you need an alternative means of supplying power. You can't just plug a ship into the local mains.

Ships taken out of commission deteriorate at an alarming rate as has been demonstrated time and again. They are huge money pits. Prospective visitors would find far more choice and better value ashore.

A total non starter I'm afraid.

Bretagne's future will either be further service elsewhere, possibly in the Med or the breaker's yard.

I meant the main engines, not the generators. Anyway... won't go any further with this one;-) 

It's a nice vision if you close your eyes though isn't it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/09/2018 at 12:53, Paully said:

Thanks for an honest and interesting report Neil..Yes she is showing her age, and looks rather old fashioned in places. Crew accomodation for one must be a restricting place to have to live. It is a huge testimony that she ploughs on, day and night, being looked after so well and an even greater  testimony to how well she was designed and built. To many of us, Bretagne was a happy holiday memory maker when we had young families and we greeted her every year in Portsmouth like an old friend. She is therefore looked upon, through rose tinted spectacles, by many, especially on here. 

She has done well and sadly she is  past her sell by date but we forgive her shortcomings and still enjoy breakfast and lunches in the Les Aber. She is still the most leisurely route to France with a wonderful atmosphere and even better memories..

We traveled on Bretagne to St Malo last week - never again will we bother booking a club cabin - cabin was not very clean (particularly the window and under bed).  The neon indicator to the en suite was broken and covered with insulation tape, and the outer cover of the light switch was missing, so although she has always been my favourite, she clearly is not being looked after in her autumn years! Should have complained really, but I knew it would wind me up if I did.  Breakfast in the restaurant was good in the morning.

Our return on MSM Saturday night was a contrast.  A standard inside cabin spotlessly clean and everything in good order.  Breakfast in the restaurant was spoiled by the buffet not being replenished and an apparent shortage of milk jugs.  The evening entertainment consisted of a very bored looking BF lady playing her own choice of music in the main bar (which I didn't enjoy) and a repeating screen of trivia Q&A - that is an area that could be improved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did notice that under the bed wasn’t particularly clean and the toilet light switch was a bit worse for wear , you can see the pictures above for the state of the vent , the Mrs said she wouldn’t travel on her again then later changed it to she would’nt sail over night on her agin so on our St Malo trip were using MSM and driving to St Malo, and in the summer it’s the horrors of the M5 and Armoriques superior cabins.

Just returned from a long weekend in St Malo, and agree with some of the comments here. Vehicle decks are cramped, cabins are on the small side and the ship isn't modern. However she's still in great shape and feels really classy with bags of character. She felt very stable in stormy seas on Friday. The Breton-themed artwork beats anything on Pont Aven (especially those awful tacky plastic ice/water cascades by the lifts), and I would rather spend a day on Bretagne than Cap Finistere or Normandie. Les Abers is a fantastic space to wine and dine  - still the best restaurant in the fleet. Le Flora comes close, but the ridiculous and uncomfortable high-back chairs spoil it.

I am already looking forward to our next trip on Bretagne.

• Like 3

Haven’t sailed on Cap Finistere , but much preferred our overnight sailing to StMalo on Pont Aven to Bretagne, Bretagne just felt a bit cramped in general and the cushosliding off the plywood in the piano bar is pretty unforgivable in my book not to mention the inch of dust in the piano , little fixable things BF should be improving on othe most expensive of the French sailings.

On 17/09/2018 at 14:53, Cabin-boy said:

It's also the only crossing which both leaves and arrives at civilised times of the day or night (in both directions), allows a full night's sleep/decent rest and two reasonably spaced meals, while at the same time never feeing overcrowded. But neither do you get the impression of being in a floating Travel Lodge like you do on PA. Ed. 

I've just booked a post-Christmas trip back on her. It'll be the first time we've done the day crossing so we'll have a better chance to appreciate her which will hopeful improve on my previous opinions. We've taken a Commodore cabin with balcony (to get a better view of the waves and hopefully channel islands) so looking forward to it. Ed. 

You will get the best views from the commodore lounge  balcony, the Ponts a great ship in my opinion especially on a day sail far more deck space to wander around on a day sailing and even her basic outside 4 berth cabins are miles ahead of Bretagnes.

• Like 1