James210700

Brittany Ferries BETA site - Closed

4 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I don't particularly like the way the timetables are presented, only being able to see one month at a time.  Much better being able to see the year at a glance, as we can now.

(But I guess BF has probably designed them with the travelling public in mind rather than to satisfy the needs of those who enjoy analysing timetables!)

I agree with you there

(But I guess BF has probably designed them with the travelling public in mind rather than to satisfy the needs of those who enjoy analysing timetable

Quite understandably!

I don't think it is unreasonable for the site design to be biased in favour of people who know when and where they want to travel and then see the options available to them. People with pets are very much in a minority overall. If you offer too many initial search parameters them a lot of people just get confused and end up in a muddle.

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I don't particularly like the way the timetables are presented, only being able to see one month at a time.  Much better being able to see the year at a glance, as we can now.

(But I guess BF has probably designed them with the travelling public in mind rather than to satisfy the needs of those who enjoy analysing timetables!) 😁

Yes the majority are not “geeks” like us!

I think it’s primary been redisigned to work well on a tablet or smartphone, more and more people are using them for everything web wise over a laptop or desktop computer.

Hi,

New to this forum.

I just tried the BETA site on my PC and tried to make a dummy booking.I think the spacing out means there is not enough if on the screen and as selections were made the background therefore moved a lot to align.

I tried to book a return trip and although it took all details it did not display any return options and went straight to payment.

Its not for me yet as I think it needs more thought and testing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

If I understood their email correctly all associates were made into full members in their own right at no joining cost so not a bad deal. It seemed all to do with new data protection regs!

As my membership is due for renewal this month, my associate member called BF to clarify their position and were told that they could continue as an associate member for one more year as the renewal falls before the changes come into effect later this year.  However next year if they want to stay in the scheme they will need to pay full price plus joining fee.

3 minutes ago, Angel said:

As my membership is due for renewal this month, my associate member called BF to clarify their position and were told that they could continue as an associate member for one more year as the renewal falls before the changes come into effect later this year.  However next year if they want to stay in the scheme they will need to pay full price plus joining fee.

The joining fee bit seems contrary to the email B.B. sent out on this.

46 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

The joining fee bit seems contrary to the email B.B. sent out on this.

Yes.  I can't refer back to the email as I didn't keep it but I was under the same impression as you so I suppose it is possible my friend may have been misinformed. We shall see.

It’s worth stating the obvious but the purpose of the Beta site is to improve upon the current site , so I hope everybody is leaving their suggestions in the feedback box.

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

The link to the BETA site seems to have gone from the main BF site.

Thanks Gareth, thought it was just mine.

Hi All,

Just back from holiday and have an e-mail from BF in my mailbox. Please keep exploring and posting your findings of the beta site in this thread - they're watching closely for bugs and feedback :)

10 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hi All,

Just back from holiday and have an e-mail from BF in my mailbox. Please keep exploring and posting your findings of the beta site in this thread - they're watching closely for bugs and feedback :)

But it seems to have gone from a normal log in to BF .co.uk l did manage to post the suggestion back before it disappeared from the site that they could include a log of credits for friends and family but no response yet. I also like the other suggestion that has been made to see which sailings have what cabin availability early in the booking process without having to come in and go out of the payment page ie like cheap flights where you can look at the available seats before you choose.

42 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hi All,

Hello enthusiasts!

As a member of the Brittany Ferries web team I would like to reiterate what Jim as already stated, we are watching this thread very closely. We are also looking at all feedback given via the feedback tool found on our website so please feel free to use that if you would like to remain more anonymous.

We did temporarily remove the link to our beta site from the home page (it should be back now). This is because it is very early days for the beta site we want to closely monitor all website traffic which we can not do on our (hard earned) weekend off.

Thank you for your feedback so far, I have found it really constructive.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

James

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 21/09/2018 at 20:13, Angel said:

Yes.  I can't refer back to the email as I didn't keep it but I was under the same impression as you so I suppose it is possible my friend may have been misinformed. We shall see.

Seems like there may be a misunderstanding here.

All Club Voyage associate members will be given their own membership with a unique membership number. When it is due for renewal they can do so at the current member renewal cost. They do not however need to pay the registration fee.

James

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Millard said:

Hello enthusiasts!

As a member of the Brittany Ferries web team I would like to reiterate what Jim as already stated, we are watching this thread very closely. We are also looking at all feedback given via the feedback tool found on our website so please feel free to use that if you would like to remain more anonymous.

We did temporarily remove the link to our beta site from the home page (it should be back now). This is because it is very early days for the beta site we want to closely monitor all website traffic which we can not do on our (hard earned) weekend off.

Thank you for your feedback so far, I have found it really constructive.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

James

Have a good weekend off every weekend 👍.

Hi Millard,  I like the idea of finding photos of cabins when I get to that stage of the booking process - but new passengers would probably like bigger photos at that stage,  together with a description of what each cabin is like, and what it includes. Yes, I can find that information elsewhere, but putting at the point of sale seems worth doing.  

Regards. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Choosing a cabin location would be a great help similar to an easyJet seat plan .

A good idea, but I suspect a little more complex depending on how cabins are assigned out for a particular sailing.

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Hi Millard,  I like the idea of finding photos of cabins when I get to that stage of the booking process - but new passengers would probably like bigger photos at that stage,  together with a description of what each cabin is like, and what it includes. Yes, I can find that information elsewhere, but putting at the point of sale seems worth doing.  

Regards. 

Hello

Really good feedback, thank you. We do actually have a description for each cabin which details what is included during the booking process. What's interesting is that you might have missed this, something my colleagues and I will need to keep in mind. Perhaps we need to do more to draw your attention to it. We don't want details for all the cabins to automatically show, otherwise there would be too much scrolling (some have already commented there is too much without this).

If you would like to know there is a 'Show details' button on the right hand side which I have tried to highlight in an example of a commodore cabin below.

Capture.thumb.JPG.acdfc3e2cbda3fdcbbdd810067479e13.JPG

As for more pictures, we need to be careful that we do not have so many images that the page takes a long time to load, which can be especially detrimental when the website is under a heavy load. There was a stage we actually included youtube cabin videos (visible and playable if show details is clicked) but we found even this slowed the page down. Defiantly something to think about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Choosing a cabin location would be a great help similar to an easyJet seat plan .

As Jim has said, this is an excellent suggestion.

I have found that other airlines offer the same experience. I have seen that this is also used when booking tickets to a show in the theater or the VUE cinema we have here in Plymouth.

There have been a number of discussions about introducing this feature and dare I say there will probably be many more to come. It is as Jim quite rightly says a very complex task with many challenges behind the scenes.

Now I think of it, one concern might be that we do not want to freely allow passengers to pick cabins that are close to specific lifts (depending on the ship). There is nothing stopping a customer booking this over the telephone but we would much rather keep these for when our reservations agents team arrangements with our disabled passengers or those with limited mobility.

Welcome to the site, Millard, great to have you here and really impressed that BF is taking the trouble to ask us what we think!

Two more from me - firstly, did you pick up my earlier point about the presentations of the timetables?

Secondly, is there any demand for UK customers to be able to book Cork routes directly through the UK site?

• Thanks 1