James210700

Brittany Ferries BETA site

It's certainly much clearer and you can get the sailing times and final prices within three clicks which is the rule they all seem to be working to now. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-click_rule&ved=2ahUKEwjcm_flvcfdAhVPlxoKHUKJDCQQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw2_48Lb4KVfGIN_3rMNRuPO

And it looks so much better on a smartphone, so well done BF. 

Ed

I think that it is slower if anything, however I do like the date selection.

Finding the right type of cabin from all of options scrolling down the screen takes a while and it is easy to pick a wheelchair / pet friendly cabin by mistake, I preferred the grid style of showing cabins and it is simple enough for the grids to collapse into a column on a mobile.

Yes looks and works a lot better. However as A Club Voyage member it would have been good to be able check if any friends or family bookings had given me credits. At the moment only once per at the renewal date do you get informed how many £10 credits have accumulated.

44 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Yes looks and works a lot better. However as A Club Voyage member it would have been good to be able check if any friends or family bookings had given me credits. At the moment only once per at the renewal date do you get informed how many £10 credits have accumulated.

Yes I’ve got my credit from my parents recent sailing.

Even better would be a facility rather like choosing seats at airline checkin where you could choose your cabin from a map of available cabins on the ship?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Even better would be a facility rather like choosing seats at airline checkin where you could choose your cabin from a map of available cabins on the ship?

And you could filter those available cabins by type or facilities (number of berths, tv/dvd, balcony etc) and then click on each highlighted option to see and compare prices before confirming. Plus that would allow you to select cabins well away from the pet-friendly ones if you so wished. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Yes it was listed after I had logged in.

I have logged in three times now and used both my club number and my email but nowhere on the site can I find an account showing my credit. I last tried to make a dummy booking for next July right up to the payment page and credit showed.

I think it's pretty good. Loads better on my tablet, and no browser moans about not-secure. Being a beta there will be a lot that will probably change before it becomes "real".

Actually - i'll edit this because I just remembered the awful experience from Microsoft with the Outlook.com public beta, which took about 8 months to address the reply-to aliasing issue... I lost god knows how many e-mails from that, and to be fair they could have done it almost instantly. If anyone doesn't know what I mean, it switched the reply address from brittanyferries@enthusiasts.com for example, to 022248488333xxx3328155@outlook.com, which didn't pick up any incoming mails! 

Edited by hf_uk

Am I missing something?

I had a look at it and the processes to make a new booking and amend a current one.

The look of the page and the graphics have been updated and indeed look very smart, but I noticed no improvement - or indeed any changes to the site itself. It seems just as laborious an clunky as it did before, just with a more up-to-date look.

Or is there something I missed?

• Like 1

Indeed, good question, I'm glad someone else asked that!  I don't quite understand what is meant by a "beta" site - why would they want two alternative sites?

49 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Indeed, good question, I'm glad someone else asked that!  I don't quite understand what is meant by a "beta" site - why would they want two alternative sites?

Actually the term "Beta site" is a bit of a misnomer - what it is is a new version of their web site, which they are "beta testing" before they replace their current site with it.

With any new system - be it a web site, a new version of  your mobile phone software or what ever, it goes through two distinct phases of testing. The initial testing is all done by the people who are working alongside those developing it. They will go backwards and forwards with new versions as many problems, bugs, design issues and so on are ironed out. Once they think it is entirely ready to go live, they then put it out for "Beta" testing, where the end-users (that means people like us) can put the new system through its paces, but only if we want to do so. That way if we discover any issues which eluded the development testing, they can fixed and tested before the existing version is removed.

Once enough people have used it without more problems being found, there will hopefully be enough confidence to "release" it - and replace the existing version. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wortley said:

Was the old website not satisfactory? 

Well - it's OK, but it could be a lot better....

The existing site is based on the assumption that you know pretty much when you want to travel, but you don't mind too much what accommodation you have onboard. It does give you alternative dates, and prices them up, but in order to find out if that sailing has the accommodation you want you have to book the car and pax onto it first. 

This is fine - except when it comes to those of us who need a specific type of cabin, which is in short supply on each sailing. For example if I wanted to book a pet-friendly cabin for    as early as there is one available in September 2019, I would have to start to make a booking for the first acceptable date for me - and if there was no PFC availability, I would have to go back and start again with the next sailing, and so on and so on until I hit on one that happened still to have unbooked PFC's. It is long-winded, time-consuming and really awkward. It would be much better if I could enter what my requirements were:  eg. PFC, vehicle height between 1.83m and 2.6m and 5m long and 1 pax and 1 pet - and then it would list the sailings on which I could book.

The Beta site does not include any of this - it's just a face-lift. Not a bad face-lift, but no more than a face-lift.

• Like 1

Adding a better search for facilities (ir pet friendly cabins, Commodore cabins etc) would be better.

The cabin display is dreadful, on the old system you see all available cabins in one go (or a small scroll on a phone). On the new system you scroll a lot and the sequence is strange with pet friendly / wheelchair cabins coming before standard ones.

image.png.661ec985b7dab4253b75baf5506bc902.png

vs

image.thumb.png.1be3a7168c9dd50b6507a0106dfe763c.png

There is a little thing I've noticed.  I'm an associate member on my father and stepmothers Club Voyage account, but they've removed that option from the Club Voyage selection on the booking page, which means I have to select 'Member' so then their details come up.  It appears that you are unable to change the details as well.

I know they have removed the associate membership from all new sign ups but there surely must be quite a number of existing memberships that have associate members.

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

There is a little thing I've noticed.  I'm an associate member on my father and stepmothers Club Voyage account, but they've removed that option from the Club Voyage selection on the booking page, which means I have to select 'Member' so then their details come up.  It appears that you are unable to change the details as well.

I know they have removed the associate membership from all new sign ups but there surely must be quite a number of existing memberships that have associate members.

If I understood their email correctly all associates were made into full members in their own right at no joining cost so not a bad deal. It seemed all to do with new data protection regs!

4 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

It seemed all to do with new data protection regs!

It is. It was possible to view the details of others linked to the account.

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

I would assume they haven't bothered adding it to the new site as there's no point adding a soon to be redundant feature.

I assume then in due course I'll get my own membership number.  Obviously not an issue at present, though, until the new site is launched.

I don't particularly like the way the timetables are presented, only being able to see one month at a time.  Much better being able to see the year at a glance, as we can now.

(But I guess BF has probably designed them with the travelling public in mind rather than to satisfy the needs of those who enjoy analysing timetables!) 😁