Jump to content
James210700

Brittany Ferries BETA site

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Millard said:

A lot of negativity towards the amount of scrolling, shall have to look at that.

It is also far too easy to accidentally select a pet or handicap cabin as they often appear first.

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cjersmith said:

I tried this site a month ago. Who are they kidding. Themselves I think. As you are booking after entry the page scrolls to the top so you have to scroll down to get to next field. The page to choose cabins is a major, major step backwards as it requires constant scrolling. The existing site all options available on screen to make choosing easier. I still cant get my PC to provide return options when booking despite choosing the return option at the outset.

Does anybody from BF look at these?

 

3 hours ago, Millard said:

A month ago? It's only been available to try for less than 3 weeks.

Have had mixed feedback about the cabins step. A lot of negativity towards the amount of scrolling, shall have to look at that.

I am aware of this issue with missing the return. Thankfully this is only on specific device/browser combinations (still a huge issue to be fixed though).

I work for the BF web team and I look at these posts if that is what you mean?

Hi Millard

Thanks

Sorry I said a month ago I looked at the BETA website but on checking it was actually on 21 September.

I'm trying to be constructive but I am finding supporting what I see a little difficult. Apart from the problem I'm having trying to book a return trip (although the sailing is selected) you perhaps have an opportunity to fix some fundamentals, eg if you are near the end of a booking and need to make an adjustment then you have to come out of the process and start all over. Cannot there be a back function?

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cjersmith said:

I'm trying to be constructive but I am finding supporting what I see a little difficult. Apart from the problem I'm having trying to book a return trip (although the sailing is selected) you perhaps have an opportunity to fix some fundamentals, eg if you are near the end of a booking and need to make an adjustment then you have to come out of the process and start all over. Cannot there be a back function?

Actually I found of what you have said in this and your previous post on this thread very constructive. One of the main reasons of inviting customers to try our beta website is to receive feedback and find out if there is anything wrong with it. Opinions are also welcome, we might not agree but they are welcome all the same. If enough people share their opinion the more likely we will make a change.

One major benefit from collecting all this feedback is that we first found out about the fundamental issue you have identified trying to book a return trip (someone else beat you to it last week). I hope you will believe me when I say most people do not experience this issue but we have established the cause and it is very high on our priorities to fix as soon as possible. It might have even been fixed this morning with the deployment of a patch (I have not checked yet).

With regards to making an adjustment to the booking you could use the browser back button to go back a page (one step) at a time. It should also remember whatever was selected or entered unless you go back further and need to resubmit the step. For example if you enter the passenger details on step 4 and submit the step, if while on step 5 you use the browser back button it will remember what you entered on step 4 and you can make changes. If however while on step 5 you want to change the cabin you chose on step 3, you will go back to step 4 then again to step 3 and it will remember which cabin you chose which you can change. When submitting step 3 for the second time however any details previously entered on step 4 is forgotten. In the summary panel, usually found on the right hand side of your screen (not if you are using a small screen) there is a link saying 'change sailing' which to be honest just takes you back to step 1 and forgets everything you have entered. If at the very end of the booking you wanted to use a different payment card there is also a 'change payment' card button which will take the user back to step 5 and works well. Maybe these buttons are being missed, perhaps we should do something to make them stand out a little more. Examples attached.

I admit this still is not an ideal 'back function'. I will for the second time in this thread hide behind the excuse that there are some technical limitations we face with our in-house booking software which makes more advanced session management rather difficult and as such it is unlikely this will improve anytime soon.

 

change sailing.JPG

change card.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather than a 'Change Sailing' option, perhaps the summary page could be adjusted to display 'modules' of the booking which could be amended. EG a box for 'Sailings', a box for 'Accommodation', a box for 'Vehicle' and a box for 'Passengers' each of which gives the option to edit the appropriate information provided and when completed goes straight back to the summary page? (Apologies if this falls into entirely new functional requirements!)

If there's a way of doing that and also recalling/submitting all the other booking details upon submission of the edited data that could be helpful to the user experience (mind you, you'd then need exception handling to catch cases where a sailing was changed but there's no space for that kind of vehicle class, or there isn't availability of the same cabin type etc etc at which point it's probably easier to stick with needing to run through the whole process again ;) )

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jim said:

Rather than a 'Change Sailing' option, perhaps the summary page could be adjusted to display 'modules' of the booking which could be amended. EG a box for 'Sailings', a box for 'Accommodation', a box for 'Vehicle' and a box for 'Passengers' each of which gives the option to edit the appropriate information provided and when completed goes straight back to the summary page? (Apologies if this falls into entirely new functional requirements!)

Yes, I like the sound of this, something I will be bringing up when the website is fully live and there is discussion for future development. It might look a bit busy towards the end of the booking process but I like your thinking. If we do go anywhere with this I won't claim credit, I promise. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Has the "Beta" booking system been taken down? Its not coming up on my BF booking site.

Stu

Think it might be a blip, it was working a while back when I checked, but it doesnt seem to be working now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Macc2010 said:

When will the Sailing updates page work on the new website as it still takes you to the old site for that.

I guess they don't want to update two pages so maybe it will only be when the beta becomes the main site?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst I'm not overly impressed with the beta site, no particular reason, probably just because I'm a stick in the mud old f*rt, I am very impressed with the can-do attitude of Millard and his team, which probably comes down from BF management. When I was a software developer the pressure from above to go live with a system that hadn't been properly tested or approved by users was enormous. They seemed to think they knew better than the developers. That's probably why in-house IT in the civil service got such a bad reputation. So well done guys. ☺️

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/10/2018 at 14:06, straightfeed said:

Has the "Beta" booking system been taken down? Its not coming up on my BF booking site.

Stu

Hello Stu,

I am sorry, I took my eye off this forum for a while so this answer is really late.

At times we do decide to limit the traffic to the Beta website. We can do this by simply removing the links to it from our old/current website although the website is still active. We do this when we want to implement major changes and/or there is a critical issue with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I guess they don't want to update two pages so maybe it will only be when the beta becomes the main site?

Exactly!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TerryDorset said:

Whilst I'm not overly impressed with the beta site, no particular reason, probably just because I'm a stick in the mud old f*rt, I am very impressed with the can-do attitude of Millard and his team, which probably comes down from BF management. When I was a software developer the pressure from above to go live with a system that hadn't been properly tested or approved by users was enormous. They seemed to think they knew better than the developers. That's probably why in-house IT in the civil service got such a bad reputation. So well done guys. ☺️

That's really kind of you. Thank you. 😃

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×