Sign in to follow this  
Halfcrown

HM Gov advice on Post-Brexit pet travel published 24 Sept 2018

[Note to moderator - I have put this here as information and comment on that information - I really do not mean to start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of Brexit. That discussion already exists elsewhere on this site]

The government published advice on taking pets abroad in the event of a "no-deal Brexit". The consequences for those of us are potentially a bit awkward, and might result in not being able to use bookings already made. Here is a link to the new advice:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/taking-your-pet-abroad-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

The really worrying bit is if the UK ends up being treated as a "unlisted 3rd country". In this case, preparation for travel needs to start 4 months in advance, and will include blood-tests as well as paperwork. The 4 months for a booking made for travel on 30 March would therefore start very soon, in November, and they are advising consulting vets now if you have travel booked. Unfortunately it seems that vets know nothing about this!

It seems quite possible that by the time it is worked out what is needed, it might already be past the deadline for actually carrying it out - and so trip would have to be cancelled.

I have asked my travel insurance about this possibility, and they tell me that my cancellation insurance would not cover cancellation in these circumstances. I put the same question to BF Customer services, who assured me that if they were unable to offer the travel booked, then I would be refunded. (Although is a failure of government the same thing as an operator failing to offer service?)

All in all a tad worrying.

Thanks for the explanatory note at the top, Halfcrown, much appreciated.  Posting this info is fine (and a good thing to do).  Happy to leave this as a standalone thread.  If it turns into a politics-of-Brexit discussion then we may have to consider locking it and keeping it just “for information”.   But for now let’s see how disciplined posters can be in keeping on-topic! 😉

As is the case with every thread on the forum apart from the Brexit thread, any posts that are purely political and have no relevance to the topic of the thread will be removed without further notice.

This could cause chaos for pet owners who live in uk or in Europe .just about every crossing is fully booked for kennels and pet friendly cabins.i for one travel a lot between uk and Spain and are doing so again in November and glad our return trip is end of February so no worries there.feel so sorry for other pet owners who will be in limbo at the moment and probley will be until march 2019 if not later.fingers crossed for all of you and hopeit works out well for all of you.

• Thanks 1

There is another way that pet owners can deal with this and that is to consider what they did before the rabies rules were relaxed, not that long ago and put Fido in kennels while they go on holiday..Of course it won`t suit everyone`s individual needs, but it would I`m sure save cancellation for many people..

I have  two replies here:

a) space at good reputable has to be booked 12-18 months in advance - so even less practical for those who have already booked their travel for 2019

b) pre PETS passport days, we (and I suspect we are not alone) simply chose not have a dog because of the difficulties  of travelling to continental Europe. Others simply chose never to leave the British Isles. Personally, I would not want to back to either of those arrangements.

There is no way my wife would leave our dog in kennels even though they were first class,she would rather leave me in the kennels than her shadow.just hope it does not come to this.another thorn for us pet owners to think about.who said it was going to easy got that wrong.

35 minutes ago, nodwad said:

There is no way my wife would leave our dog in kennels even though they were first class,she would rather leave me in the kennels than her shadow.just hope it does not come to this.another thorn for us pet owners to think about.who said it was going to easy got that wrong.

Oh dear, you will never get to see New Zealand, or the islands down the west coast of Thailand, or the Taj Mahal, or the terraced rice fields in Bali, or the big temple at Madurai. ......A shame. 

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, wortley said:

Oh dear, you will never get to see New Zealand, or the islands down the west coast of Thailand, or the Taj Mahal, or the terraced rice fields in Bali, or the big temple at Madurai. ......A shame. 

No but in some of those places there are plenty of dogs available (fried, grilled, poached and maybe even a few running around too). Ed. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, jonno said:

You've got until 31st December 2020 not next year.

If we fall out without a deal we would be outside all of the schemes at the end of March next year. A deal is the signing of an agreement including the transition period.

And if we don't have a deal, anyone with a valid human passport that is over 10 years old (ie originally had months rolled over), will not be able to use it. - maybe this thread will morph into practical issues / concerns if we don't get a deal !

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1

I started this thread to highlight and discuss the hopefully remote, but all the same real, risk that trips already booked will have to be cancelled in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

I didn’t want to have a conversation here about the merits of Brexit, the merits of using kennels or whether or the merits of allowing dogs onto vessels. 

To be  clear, the risk is that it might not be possible to comply with the new post-Brexit regulations sufficiently in advance  to have the necessary work done by when it is needed for travel already booked.

For travel booked for after August 2019, there will be time to arrange the necessary - even in the worst-case Brexit scenario.

As for not cancelling the travel and using kennels instead, I can see why that might seem like a sensible suggestion - however the reality is that kennels book up even sooner than the on-board pet accommodation and for travel between April and August 2019, it is far too late to expect to any space at kennels. 

Some jokers having a laugh,but it is not a very funny thread if you are pet owners and take them with you wherever you go.just hope common sense will co e out in the end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, David Williams said:

If we fall out without a deal we would be outside all of the schemes at the end of March next year. A deal is the signing of an agreement including the transition period.

And if we don't have a deal, anyone with a valid human passport that is over 10 years old (ie originally had months rolled over), will not be able to use it. - maybe this thread will morph into practical issues / concerns if we don't get a deal !

Wrong, transition timetable is a done deal. Nothing changes until January 2021 regardless of whether any other deal is or isn't struck in October or more realistically November. In the remaining 20 months the one and only difference is that the UK can't vote on anything EU related.

Edited by jonno

I might be wrong, but I don’t think that’s right Jonno.  Both sides have always been clear that “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”.  That includes the transition arrangements, I thought - they are part of the negotiated package.

Just now, Gareth said:

I might be wrong, but I don’t think that’s right Jonno.  Both sides have always been clear that “nothing is agreed until everything is agreed”.  That includes the transition arrangements, I thought - they are part of the negotiated package.

That’s my understanding.

Halfcrown has made it clear that he doesn’t want this thread to become political, and I reiterate what I said previously, we were happy to leave the thread open for discussion on the basis that posters excercise some self-discopline and avoid making the thread political.  

I know this is hard to do (for myself included) and several posts have needed removal or editing.

This is a gentle but final warning that, unless posters refrain from making this thread political, it will be locked and the OP left as useful “for information”.

Why don't you just knock the comments out that are not sticking to the rules?i don't like the wise cracks off non pet owners but you will get some in all subjects.

Should  no deal happen,The revenue stream currently generated for  BF from the EU pet travel scheme, will have to be  replaced from somewhere,  I just hope that it is a ticket price increase/surcharge  for those who think this is so funny. 

Pitty the accountant in Roscoff  who is busily modelling the various what if scenarios, they (BF) must be concerned they have new ships to pay for.

41 minutes ago, alleeganger10 said:

Should  no deal happen,The revenue stream currently generated for  BF from the EU pet travel scheme, will have to be  replaced from somewhere,  I just hope that it is a ticket price increase/surcharge  for those who think this is so funny. 

Pitty the accountant in Roscoff  who is busily modelling the various what if scenarios, they (BF) must be concerned they have new ships to pay for.

I see a very interesting concept...So only those, without pets and a sense of humour, would pay your proposed surcharge??...wouldn`t have thought it would be much of a revenue stream though 🤣🤣

There was a similar discussion on one of the motorhome forums I frequent from time to time.  I would make 2 points.  The most likely solution is that the UK would be a Part 1 country, in which case things would continue much as before.  The worst case would be a Part 2 country, in which case there would be additional hoops to jump through (agility training would be useful).  I cannot see how we would become an Unlisted country given our animal health record.  Therefore, anyone proposing to travel with a pet after March 29th 2019 would be wise to start making preparations in the event that the UK is a Listed: Part 2 country.  The document in the link provided by Halfcrown explains what is likely to be required.

I read an explanation in the CB News when I was there recently and the Gov paper. Pushing us to vets in November (I'm travelling 13 April with a pet) but vets no nothing at the moment. Even if you have the blood tests done our existing paperwork will be unsuitable. This has come about because senior civil servants have always believed it wouldn't happen and/or they could negotiate a deal