(Yet) Another Red funnel crash

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Knowledge and opinion are 2 different things. Your knowledge should tell you that your opinion is wrong. Technical details 🤔... Why would measurements be useful in comparison of 2 objects eh....!

The lack of knowledge of the motor boater (you can't call him  a sailor)  is pretty appalling given the length of time he had been constituting a floating Solent hazard! This sort of thing does seem t

Sub Lt Phillips now ln the strength?

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, juliannewman said:

I was not aware that criminal proceedings have been brought against the Captain of Red Falcon:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/nov/18/ferry-crash-captain-failed-to-keep-proper-lookout-court-hears

The case is being heard in court now and a verdict is expected next month. The guy in the yacht was criticised as he was clueless to the COLREGS. He should have been there.

6 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

The case is being heard in court now and a verdict is expected next month. The guy in the yacht was criticised as he was clueless to the COLREGS. He should have been there.

Well yes he may well have been clueless as to Colregs but I'm not sure a professional captain telling the coastguard that he's "the dogs badoodahs" is overly professional!

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/18047746.red-funnel-captain-may-avoided-crash-stood-chair/

• 3 weeks later...

The captain of a car ferry that crashed with a pleasure boat has been cleared of committing two maritime offences.

Ian Drummond, 63, was in charge of the 305ft Red Funnel vessel's crossing of the Solent when it collided with the 32ft motor cruiser in September 2018. Nobody was hurt in the crash.

Mr Drummond was found not guilty at Southampton Magistrates' Court of failing to keep a lookout and misconduct likely to endanger ships, structures or individuals.

The ferry, which was carrying 182 passengers and 20 crew, was travelling from Southampton to East Cowes on the Isle of Wight when it hit the boat, which had four people onboard. Mr Drummond was sitting in the lookout's chair at the time, the court heard.

An expert witness told the trial standing up would have helped the defendant to eliminate the ferry's blind spot. However, District Judge Anthony Callaway said Mr Drummond had used his experience to remain seated to maintain an overall best view round the ferry, including the use of CCTV monitors. "Not everything can be seen at all times - that is an impossible task," the judge said. "I am satisfied the defendant did keep a proper lookout and was not to blame for the collision."

'Christmas Present'

The court was told Peter Jackson, 57, was sailing the motor cruiser and had accepted a caution for his part in the crash. Judge Callaway said Mr Jackson had "almost no knowledge" of regulations designed to prevent collisions and had "endangered" those onboard both vessels.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Drummond said he had been dismissed from his job following the crash. He said he was seeking to be reinstated at an employment tribunal in February. "I feel very relieved - as a Christmas present I couldn't have asked for anything nicer," he added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-50489346?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR2r2wJrWRMUwRMXjSFsxipsx_2GoOf_tcNi7EC_vuAbuSUr4qd-wyHU2Ns

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Bet he feels like the `dogs badoohdahs` now 😂..good luck to him in February

Er, what's a badoohdah, is it from an ancient text picked up on your worldy travels... papyrus scroll perhaps?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, jonno said:

Er, what's a badoohdah, is it from an ancient text picked up on your worldy travels... papyrus scroll perhaps?

"I'm the Dogs Badoohdahs" is what Captain Ian Drummond said in court, in other words, Dogs Bol**cks.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
2 hours ago, adicat said:

Red funnel having a bad day. 1 vessel at the moment. Osprey failed inspection apparently and Eagle has a fault.

Had to go Wightlink Yarmouth yesterday even tho I wanted Southampton but all on time to the minute and a nice drive through the new forest