Huw Gwyn

Internet for second homes

For a number of years, we've used an Orange 'Decouverte' service for a month whilst at a second home in Brittany. This year, the service was discontinued, and the short-term service they offered instead was both expensive and hugely inferior. I'm afraid we don't hold 'Orange' in high esteem. Can anybody suggest an alternative for periods of between 10 days and 25 days, please ? . It must be a service which satisfies laptops as well as mobile phones.

It depends on how much data you use, if you use a small amount then cheap sim contracts  are not too bad & you can use your mobile as a hotspot, however we use a reasonable amount and need a fixed link.

We find it cost effective to have a permanent link, we have recently switched to red by sfr which costs €180 a year.

I don't believe any standard French  ISP does what Orange did with switching the line on and off, so it is either:-

• Use mobile data (using your UK SIm or a specific French one) most contracts allow tethering.
  • Use a cheap French ISP permanently.

We only use our French flat a few times a year and I did some comparisons with a cheap isp vs mobile data and for us the cheap isp wins handsdown, it is only 50% more than my French TV licence which I use even less !

10 hours ago, Manxscorpio said:

Its a 4G Router - needs a data Sim - and will work in Europe - its portable so you can take/use wherever you are.... here follows question/answer review for France...(see above link)

"Bought this via Amazon France (where I live) and hoped to replace the pretty crummy satellite broadband I've had to rely on for the last few years. What an improvement! Wish I'd investigated 4G earlier. Easy to set up, rock solid performance so far, 5 bars without external antennae on a Sosh (Orange) card, much better WiFi coverage in our stone house than my previous TP-LINK router, nothing but praise for the Huawei. Buy with confidence."

You might like to check the 4G coverage before making a decision which option to go for. Where we go in Normandy there is very patchy coverage and the French government has promised to eradicate such problems by 2022, I believe. This website gives the relevant information but there are probably others doing the same. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nperf.com/en/map/FR/-/-./signal/&ved=2ahUKEwijg62UzfLdAhVMzBoKHf2zDXkQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3A5B9benqqP6kait3YPPXz

Ed

Thank you. Our house is on the Tregor peninsula. Orange in Lannion swore that the 4-g 'flybox' they gave us was ideal, but it was 1998 line-speed, and a local IT shop told us that we should never, ever have been sold the contract.