BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

why are you being so unpleasant and sarcastic about us in Poole, it happens very frequently, Ed, it isn’t fair on us Poole folk, and yes we are devoted to our town we LIVE here!  Yes we are devoted to Barfleur, she is the BF ship from out port.

In not trying to denigrate Poole or is citizens (although it seems it might be a less cohesive society than you'd like to believe) but point out that we know everything there is to know about the town, its bridges and its ferries from multiple other threads without the need to take over this one which was aimed at the overall impact Brexit is likely to have on BF (wow this repetition bug seems to be catching - I'm sure I said the same thing above). 

2 hours ago, Khaines said:

for goodness sake, Ed.  I will carry on as I see fit.

I'm sure you will and that's your right. 

Ed. 

Ed, I’d be interested in your reasoning behind Cherbourg being BF’s “least well road-connected port” in France.  Surely Roscoff is more out-of-the-way for most traffic?

Don’t forget, Cherbourg used to be the (to parody your description of Portsmouth) “Calais of the west”.  There was a time when Cherbourg had more daily departures to the UK than, pretty much, all the other ports west of, and including, Dieppe put together.  Mostly to Portsmouth, but with Poole, Weymouth and Southampton thrown in there.  Why it has fallen so dramatically out of favour is a mystery.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

In not trying to denigrate Poole or is citizens (although it seems it might be a less cohesive society than you'd like to believe) but point out that we know everything there is to know about the town, its bridges and its ferries from multiple other threads without the need to take over this one which was aimed at the overall impact Brexit is likely to have on BF (wow this repetition bug seems to be catching - I'm sure I said the same thing above)

I'm sure you will and that's your right. 

Ed. 

Poole is NOT taking over the thread.  The thread is called BF and Brexit, the posts I have provided are about just that.  Yes, the bridges are mentioned, and they will carry on being so, as they are an important part of the infrastructure of the port.  We discuss Poole ferries of course we do, this is a forum about ferries!  The bridges are very important to that subject due to their important positioning, and that is why they get discussed so much, when they are out of action they disrupt the FERRIES. (and a lot of other things besides). 

Nothing is being taken over at all, nobody is entering a discussion on anything else here, but we talk about Poole.  You do not like it and get fed up, fair enough, but we are discussing a legitimate topic on a thread about that subject which is BF AND BREXIT.   We had all this a few years ago regarding Barfleur when she was laid up.  Poole has just as much right to be discussed as a BF port as any other without derision because some members think we post too much.  

There are plenty of discussions on here and Poole takes up a small percentage, yet every time one of our issues gets mentioned, we get the above.  It is not nice for any of us as members of a forum about BF ferries to not be able to discuss our port and the effect Brexit could have on it on a thread meant for that very purpose without grief or derision.  It is denigrating, how do you think Poole members feel reading the insults above? 

Others are perfectly free to discuss other ports and ferries here.  But they do not, that is not Poole or Barfleur’s fault.  Please give the derision a rest, it is offensive.

Edited by Khaines
Quotes messed up.
  • Like 1

I used the term 'least-well connected' but not specifically relating to roads. It was more the idea that very few of the people travelling through Cherbourg are actually heading to the Cotentin peninsular (aside from day-trippers) as its attraction has faded somewhat. I think if you were to question those passengers crossing via Roscoff a large proportion will have two hours at most to drive to their final destination. Therefore it is well-connected (and well located) for the passengers it serves. The connection idea relates to popular tourist destinations etc as much as the road network. Of course it's just my opinion and I have no facts to back it up, nor any technical details to fall back on, and not even a newspaper article as proof. Sorry! Ed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I used the term 'least-well connected' but not specifically relating to roads. It was more the idea that very few of the people travelling through Cherbourg are actually heading to the Cotentin peninsular (aside from day-trippers) as its attraction has faded somewhat. I think if you were to question those passengers crossing via Roscoff a large proportion will have two hours at most to drive to their final destination. Therefore it is well-connected (and well located) for the passengers it serves. The connection idea relates to popular tourist destinations etc as much as the road network.

Ok, thanks Ed.  I see where you’re coming from.  But it’s an interesting definition of well-connected - I think you’re probably right about Roscoff as a niche route for traffic bound fairly locally.  In the more mainstream ports, the local destinations theory is probably less relevant.  After all, who crosses the channel specifically to visit the Calais area.  St Malo may have a local element, but a lot of St Malo tourist traffic is probably bound for the west coast of France.  Caen is, of course, the main shuttle port now, and Caen probably answers my question - in that it has probably replaced Cherbourg as the primary transit port and, in the process, has turned Cherbourg into more of a niche local port.  A role it has struggled to justify?

13 minutes ago, Khaines said:

There are plenty of discussions on here and Poole takes up a small percentage,

Search the forum for Poole and you get 4, 132 hits (or 4, 133 as I've probably just created another one) for a port offering 3 ferry routes (Cherbourg, Spain and the CIs, although only two carry passengers). Compare that with Portsmouth offering 4,443 hits with 6 routes (CIs, Spain x 2, Le Havre, Caen and St Malo plus Cherbourg in the summer making 7, not to mention the Solent ferries) and Plymouth with two routes (Spain and Roscoff) getting just 2, 211 hits. 

That shows a distinct imbalance in the number of times Poole gets mentioned relative to its importance within the BF network. 

Ed. 

I wonder how badly the port strikes affect the volume stats? If Bretagne is destined for St Malo and diverts to Cherbourg for instance? Come to think of it, why don't they strike as often, if at all?

BF seems to have all but stopped sending Bretagne to Cherbourg in those circumstances.  It would be interesting to see what they’d do if a strike is announced when the sailing is already under way - they probably would divert to Cherbourg then.  But before departure they now tend to cancel the sailing rather than divert to Cherbourh in the event of a St Malo strike.  BF really must be treading on eggshells when it comes to managing their industrial relations.  Avoid anything that might aggrevate the situation.  So, generally, Cherbourg only tends to get used these days, by the St Malo ship, as a bad-weather diversion port.  BF knows that using it as a strike-breaking port would be asking for trouble.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

That shows a distinct imbalance in the number of times Poole gets mentioned relative to its importance within the BF network. 

Ed. 

The south coast BF port situated between Portsmouth and Plymouth (just thought I'd help redress the balance as it clearly upsets you) gets mentioned disproportionally because, like it or not, the place has actually had quite a lot of changes in routes, ships and port infrastructure over the years.

Shame you have nothing more interesting to do than word counts you really should try to get out more.😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Search the forum for Poole and you get 4, 132 hits (or 4, 133 as I've probably just created another one) for a port offering 3 ferry routes (Cherbourg, Spain and the CIs, although only two carry passengers). Compare that with Portsmouth offering 4,443 hits with 6 routes (CIs, Spain x 2, Le Havre, Caen and St Malo plus Cherbourg in the summer making 7, not to mention the Solent ferries) and Plymouth with two routes (Spain and Roscoff) getting just 2, 211 hits. 

Ed. 

Well, start posting about the other ports and ferries to redress the balance then. As said, I have no intention of stopping mentioning Poole, Cherbourg or Barfleur if they are relevant to the conversation and not off topic.  If there is an article in the Echo that is directly to do with BF in Poole, or the constant trouble with the bridges that we all have to cross to get to our ferries, I will post it, because the Echo gwt their stories from BF press releases anyway.  Would the Echo stories be so problematic if they were pro Brexit - probably not.  

Poole is possibly going to be affected by Brexit, so why is it so bad that I post what BF have said about it on a thread about BF and Brexit?  Totally on topic.

14 minutes ago, Gareth said:

BF seems to have all but stopped sending Bretagne to Cherbourg in those circumstances.  It would be interesting to see what they’d do if a strike is announced when the sailing is already under way - they probably would divert to Cherbourg then.  But before departure they now tend to cancel the sailing rather than divert to Cherbourh in the event of a St Malo strike.  BF really must be treading on eggshells when it comes to managing their industrial relations.  Avoid anything that might aggrevate the situation.  So, generally, Cherbourg only tends to get used these days, by the St Malo ship, as a bad-weather diversion port.  BF knows that using it as a strike-breaking port would be asking for trouble.

It would be interesting to see what BF would do in the case of industrial action on this side of the channel. Presumably they would have to return to France as some of their ships will only fit in Portsmouth. Oh no, done it again.

4 minutes ago, G4rth said:

It would be interesting to see what BF would do in the case of industrial action on this side of the channel. Presumably they would have to return to France as some of their ships will only fit in Portsmouth. Oh no, done it again.

Well, they’d have 7 days to think about it, so no doubt they’d be able to make a wise decision.

Now....let’s leave Weymouth out of this...it’s of no relevance to anything any more! 😀

• Like 2

Just now, Gareth said:

Well, they’d have 7 days to think about it, so no doubt they’d be able to make a wise decision.

Now....let’s leave Weymouth out of this...it’s of no relevance to anything any more! 😀

They could all park up in Portland.😃

• Haha 2

Working on the domestic holiday industry myself, having worked in the French holiday industry and being an avid cruiser myself, I think Paully is talking a lot of sense.

For years, Brits and most other nationalities don’t relish the thought of being “unwelcomed by the French” and there’s many other options out there. Eastern Med is booming, Spain is booming, and I’m now finding that when people ask me about cruises they’re now starting to tell me a few weeks later that they’ve actually booked one.

Having just spent a week in Europe a fortnight ago, a big factor is Sterling to the Euro, everything is so expensive right now. With increasing prices and a perception portrayed by the media that France is always on strike, then it’s got a bit of a PR problem on its hands.

18 hours ago, neilcvx said:

It’s interesting that people find France expensive I can’t comment on day to day living cost but our two bedroomed Gite in Brittany cost us €740 for 2 weeks a meal at the local restaurant costs all in about €50 and 2 glasses of wine costs about €6 , fruit and veg is expensive and meat certainly is a bit more expensive but all in still cheaper  than a staycation , the one thing that will stop me travelling with BF is sitting in a que at Plymouth for 2 hours or more hopefully that won’t happen post Brexit.

Like you, the queue at Plymouth Border Control inbound irks me. Although the staff seem pleasant enough. It doesn't reach the grind of Exeter "international" Airport Disney like queueing on a dismal winter night outside a porta cabin!

France has got a little bit expensive. But all that is tempered by what lifestyle you lead and naturally what disposable income you have. The CPI controls my income (I'm retired). But very little of the CPI basket affects me greatly. Unlike the employed I don't fuel my car every week or buy the latest "Apple" junk very year.

We enjoyed a year with over 6 trips to France (90 days away) and found bargain reductions in quality stores and supermarkets although we couldn't find the autumn big sell off of wine this year. Maybe its been a too good a year for the grape!

We've done less of the touristy things and more of the living thing. Weekends when the villages and towns go quiet and shops close and the beaches fill with folk enjoying it all. Vide greniers have provided some good buys also. And, In France we have not paid a penny to park our car for 2018! Work out what we pay in a year in the UK.

Oh, and the lack of traffic jams, priceless.

Stu

Edited by straightfeed
engerlish!
  • Like 2

We got plenty wine in the big sail at Carrefour in StMalo that was the middle of September, we spend a lot of time cycling about and drinking coffee or wine and eating cake we’re not big tourist attraction goers , it’s all relative and based on what you like , personally 2 weeks in a resort in Turkey or Spain is my idea of torture not pleasure but each to their own that type of holiday is obviously popular , I save up for my holidays so I go where I enjoy even if it is a bit expensive.F1758976-2211-458A-9EF4-72AA473FB71E.thumb.jpeg.b7a802baeabd5a06dfd4843fb091f876.jpeg

• Like 1

We go to France simply because we like France and the French people we meet have always been welcoming. I can say the same for 99% of all the other places we've been to. The exchange rate has no bearing on it, some countries are more expensive than others, it's the way it's always been.

BF have said that it's their holiday packages which are down, does anyone know if that's all categories or a specific area such as driving tours or family holidays?

They've teamed up with Yelloh and Flower to offer chalet camping so why not offer the full range, Chalet, pitch, premium pitch. BF could easily undercut the likes of the Caravan and Motorhome Club and the Camping and Caravan Club especially as their "discounted" ferry crossings don't offer the same choice. Our Dutch crossing in December was actually cheaper direct through P&O.

I'm surprised they don't have an arrangement with Les Castels, they have many quality sites within and hour or two of most of the French ports.

We're like Neil, 2 weeks in a sprawling  Spanish resort would drive me up the wall although you can see how they suit families. much rather pitch up somewhere, don the bone dome, jump on the 3 wheeler and nip into a local town or village for a bit of a mooch.

It’s a very limited range of the Yelloh! Campsites that BF offer we would have booked the whole thing with BF but they didn’t offer our Yelloh! Campsite they could offer a lot more accommodatin if they teemed up with Gites de France.

I think a lot of Brits who find themselves "unwelcome" by the French expect everyone over there to speak English, and that's the problem. I speak "holiday French", so, while I am not fluent, I can get by in hotels, shops and restaurants and have never felt unwelcome over there. IMO if you go to a foreign country and don't speak any of the language, then you have to take what comes!

Most of our spending in France goes on restaurant meals, which are much better quality than for the equivalent over here. Then there's supermarket shopping, where we buy things that are cheaper or more interesting than what you get at home. Occasionally we will buy tickets for a museum, art gallery, or a botanical garden, like the one in Roscoff.

As for the Brexit effect on BF, I have already booked 2 BF hotel holidays for next year, in June and August. I was not going to pass up the 20% early booking discount and will deal with any post-Brexit problems if and when they occur.

• Like 3

I am going to book up Armorique and Barfleur.  My French, if I don’t practice regularly I forget.  I know enough to “get by” remember some bloke in the terminal cafe in Cherbourg pretended he didn’t understand me and talked French in a French accent - a good one.  Then he got my coffee and spoke to me in broad Liverpudlian, saying he was testing me...😂.  I have translation apps on my ipad that say it back to me if I get stuck, so occasionally I cheat with those.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shefford said:

I think a lot of Brits who find themselves "unwelcome" by the French expect everyone over there to speak English, and that's the problem. I speak "holiday French", so, while I am not fluent, I can get by in hotels, shops and restaurants and have never felt unwelcome over there. IMO if you go to a foreign country and don't speak any of the language, then you have to take what comes!

Most of our spending in France goes on restaurant meals, which are much better quality than for the equivalent over here. Then there's supermarket shopping, where we buy things that are cheaper or more interesting than what you get at home. Occasionally we will buy tickets for a museum, art gallery, or a botanical garden, like the one in Roscoff.

As for the Brexit effect on BF, I have already booked 2 BF hotel holidays for next year, in June and August. I was not going to pass up the 20% early booking discount and will deal with any post-Brexit problems if and when they occur.

Yep my French is naff, never got my head around all the feminine and masculine malarky. Much easier to shout at someone in German and schmooze in Italian.

Doesn't stop me trying though, a little goes a long way and I think many shopkeepers and staff appreciate the effort. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Then he got my coffee and spoke to me in broad Liverpudlian

Scouse please... Liverpudlians support a team in red who shall not be named, I have various terms of description for those afflicted, you know the ones, they have a leader called Klopp who is affectionately known in the more cultured and educated blue circles as Klippetty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jonno said:

Scouse please... Liverpudlians support a team in red who shall not be named, I have various terms of description for those afflicted, you know the ones, they have a leader called Klopp who is affectionately known in the more cultured and educated blue circles as Klippetty. 

Apologies.  Another Scouse accent used/stiill does to run a snack caravan - thinks still does, he is outside the Cherbourg terminal in the summer.  Sells bacon butties, chips and English fare.  Often call on him if I get back to the terminal early, a decent tea or coffee.

17 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Apologies.  Another Scouse accent used/stiill does to run a snack caravan - thinks still does, he is outside the Cherbourg terminal in the summer.  Sells bacon butties, chips and English fare.  Often call on him if I get back to the terminal early, a decent tea or coffee.

Don't apologise you can all us what you like really. You want to hear the names I call them.  Us bluenoses are just sensitive!

We get everywhere don't we? Invade you might say.

A lot of us are good at tea, multiskilled. It's nice to see the dark art of a good brew appreciated. It was the first thing they taught me at Lairds in '84. I had to do huge pots of the stuff, responsible job that for a 16 year old.

No joke Khainsey a few of those blokes got right narky and gave you both barrels if it wasn't ready, that's how precious their breaks were to them. Can lads in that place didn't hang around long if they couldn't take the pace. I was glad when they put welding gear in my hands and was out of the firing line. I spent 12 months at Lairds before it went pear shaped and there were more strike threats over tea breaks than anything.

Best bacon buttie I've had was from a van outside Southampton's St Mary's stadium, not a scouser mind, but the underlying nautical connection was clearly there, the way he dipped the spoon brought back happy memories of cold steel and concrete and when he said "D'you want sugar mate" My legs near turned to jelly. ( Ok,  now I'm pulling your leg, good buttie though.)

Scousers on tour...Shouldn't be allowed really... I can't believe they built another bridge to let even more of us escape... The fools!!!

• Haha 1

We'll some Scousers certainty had a reputation in this area in the 80's. Unfortunately not for their undoubted skills in tea making or bacon cooking. But their reputation does now seem to be in the past.