Sign in to follow this  
BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

Perhaps BF might be better examining what they could do better themselves. The airline package holiday business, so far, is up 14% on this time last year, despite the same Brexit uncertainty. 

• Like 1

I’ve heard that 14% figure before but never seen a link to verify it, I’m not doubting it but it would be interesting to see it in context.

• Like 1

I wonder if it is linked to an increase in preference for holidays away from the EU during the immediate period of uncertainty?

19 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I’ve heard that 14% figure before but never seen a link to verify it, I’m not doubting it but it would be interesting to see it in context.

Got it from Travelmole a few weeks ago..I`ll see if its still available

• Like 1

I would have felt that holiday travel should continue more or less as is, after all holidays are taken outside Europe all the time with various paperwork requirements etc. and it doesn't seem to cause problems. It is in the interests of both sides and especially on the European to allow hassle free travel that brings in tourist spending.

Any problems are likely to be as a side effect of trade associated procedures such as being stuck on the M20 trying to get to Dover behind thousands of trucks!

David Davis was happy to admit that he doesn't do detail. You can see why BF are expressing concern as it looks lke the law of unintended consequences will go into overdrive based on flawed decisions made by incompetent politicians. I just wonder how many of these people have actually ever travelled through Dover and seen for themselves the scale of the operation there.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I would have felt that holiday travel should continue more or less as is, after all holidays are taken outside Europe all the time with various paperwork requirements etc. and it doesn't seem to cause problems. It is in the interests of both sides and especially on the European to allow hassle free travel that brings in tourist spending.

Any problems are likely to be as a side effect of trade associated procedures such as being stuck on the M20 trying to get to Dover behind thousands of trucks!

Of course things will settle, but I think it's more a concern about the agreement and preparations being in place in time. Much like the concerns with airlines, I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting they will never fly again, but it isn't unimaginable that those first few weeks are chaotic.

If anything, my impression is that the ferries may be a safer bet than flying (depending on the airline I suppose, Easyjet are now Austrian as mitigation).

• Like 2