BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

On 06/01/2019 at 23:16, Seashore said:

Still sooner than Grayling Ferries will be up and running!

As long as Chris “Failing” to run ferries and trains didn’t tell you, then you know it could be true. Has his DfT found the Gatwick Drone yet? And to think he’s an architect of Project Leave. We’re all doomed!!

The Gatwick drone is probably the same one that has turned up at Heathrow this evening, I bet it is the same one and the same people operating it as well.  The fact that a couple of drones can cause so much disruption to UK air traffic and then you have whatever is going on wiith Ramsgate, the Government seem to think that hauling goodness knows how many vessels from wherever to prevent boats of migrants getting to the UK is the utmost priority,..

Apologies for being off topic there..  I am just thinking where this government’s priorities are.   

Edited by Khaines

Today I was at the port of Le Havre, with a friend who went back on the Tat, the booking inn and customs along with the Police it took 30 min's for them to do 4 cars, if this is going to happen when Brexit starts 29 March, how many passengers will not travel. ??

Just read this on Le Marin:

English sailors want their place aboard BAI ships

Posted on 17/01/2019 17:55 | Updated on 17/01/2019 18:17

In exchange for Brittany Ferries' GBP 46.6 million (€ 51.8 million) funding for increased cargo capacity, it appears that British seafarers some requirements ...

In a letter dated Tuesday, January 8 (see below) and addressed to Christophe Mathieu, Chairman of the Board of Brittany Ferries, Mick Cash, Secretary General of the RMT (National Union of Rail, Shipping and Road Transport Workers UK) lists a series of conditions related in particular to the crews planned "on the ships which will execute this public contract" .

The union asks Brittany Ferries that all sailors are British, that they depend on English law, particularly on unemployment and minimum wage issues, and that they are covered by the collective agreement of the LMR.

This letter was, moreover, sent in copy to the CGT. 

• Haha 1

I recall when P&O Portsmouth gave up running the Le Havre route all those years ago, Brittany Ferries tentatively explored the possibility of taking on the route with the ferries (Pride of Portsmouth and Pride of Let Havre). One of the main sticking points was the fact that the French unions would not work alongside non French crew. I am part French and I have to admire the fact that the French now run many of the utility companies in the UK yet we run previous little in France because the French will not allow it. If the UK government or anyone else thinks the French unions will tolerate British seamen on their ships then they need a reality check. Let's just accept that we are investing our Brexit contingency money in a good ferry firm that serves great food and leave it at that. Any British Denver of fair play etc.is not what it's all about!!

It is somewhat ironic that one of the factors (allegedly) why BF never went through with that plan was because the UK Government referred it to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.  I know it is a point of contention whether that was actually a/the reason BF pulled out, or whether the referral just happened to coincide with BF withdrawing from the plan in any case.  But if the withdrawal was, even in part, due to HMG's referral to the Monopolies Commission then it is a supreme irony that the same government is now paying BF to do what it stopped them from doing back in 2005!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

It is somewhat ironic that one of the factors (allegedly) why BF never went through with that plan was because the UK Government referred it to the Monopolies and Mergers Commission.  I know it is a point of contention whether that was actually a/the reason BF pulled out, or whether the referral just happened to coincide with BF withdrawing from the plan in any case.  But if the withdrawal was, even in part, due to HMG's referral to the Monopolies Commission then it is a supreme irony that the same government is now paying BF to do what it stopped them from doing back in 2005!

I notice this week that Dieppe is now part of the same port authority as Cherbourg & Caen. I would assume that they would be able to spread some freight movements accordingly.

Three French ferry ports based in Normandie have decided to join forces.
In fact, Caen-Ouistreham and Cherbourg were already united in ‘Ports Normands Associés’ (PNA).
Dieppe (photo) was added to these two ports, to create ‘Ports de Normandie’.

Chairman is Hervé Morin, former chairman of PNA.
MD is Philippe Deiss, also former MD of PNA.

Together, the three ports have six ro-ro berths, and see some 200,000 freight units per year, ferried across by DFDS (Transmanche Ferries), Brittany Ferries and Irish Ferries.

• Like 1

I see the Le Havre timetable has now been update from the end of March to Mid May with extra Etretat sailings (ie 3 single crossings a day) which gives an extremely inconvenient timetable.

• Thanks 1

Interesting.  You’d have to think this can only be part of what is being planned, and that there must be more to go in from another ship (still under discussion)?  I agree, if this is all there is then it’s a real mess as far as the consumer is concerned.

39 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Interesting.  You’d have to think this can only be part of what is being planned, and that there must be more to go in from another ship (still under discussion)?  I agree, if this is all there is then it’s a real mess as far as the consumer is concerned.

Just done a dummy booking for mid April, with various sailing permutations, but this time doesnt show the name of any vessel..Too early to be joined by Normandie. They obviously have something planned, I wonder what...Is there yet another Visintini kicking its heels somewhere?

Dummy might be an apt term for the person who decided to mess around with the timetables at this stage and potentially annoy a large number of loyal customers. 

I just wonder whether BF has bunged FSG a wad of cash (and we know they've suddenly found a nice little earner) to get Honfleur finished early. We were surprised by how quickly they got the accommodation modules into place and if they were able to guarantee delivery by the end of May it would help out with this new problem. Plus the crew from Normandie (who presumably will partly switch to Honfleur to keep operating out of Ouistreham) could use the time she is in Gdansk to pop down to Flensburg and have a work-up session in her engineering spaces. Ed

At least the new Le Havre timetable only affects two sailings in each direction. (Monday and Saturday overnights outbound, and Monday and Saturdays 17:00 sailings return). As Normandie operates such services to Caen, it should be easy enough for customers to just change their booking to Caen should they want to keep those same timings. 

As far as I can see, the changes to the timetables at Le Havre, Cherbourg and Roscoff have each added precisely 3 sailings per week in each direction on each route.

Are 3 sailings really worth the PR damage with customers who have been messed around?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, georgem7 said:

At least the new Le Havre timetable only affects two sailings in each direction.

It also reduces the sleeping time for most of the other overnight crossings. One of the advantages of the route was an 8:30 arrival into Le Havre and generally they did not bother about getting you out of the cabins much earlier than arrival time. Now that has switched to 07:00 and I suspect that they will want you out by 6:30 (ie 5:30 UK time) to help a fast turnaround. 

Edited by David Williams
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gareth said:

added precisely 3 sailings per week in each direction

and that is consistent with BF saying 50% extra on the 3 routes, however that only adds up to 19 single crossings, not 19 return crossings !

41 minutes ago, David Williams said:

and that is consistent with BF saying 50% extra on the 3 routes, however that only adds up to 19 single crossings, not 19 return crossings !

18 single crossings, I think you will find!😉

• Like 1

Oh yes! But only until mid-May according to the published timetables. 

I like this quote from the BBC article :

"We apologise in advance for any inconvenience that these changes may cause, but hope that the additional sailings will offer customers more choice."

For me that implies they think their customers made unwise choices before and clearly need to think again and follow some official guidance. 😀

Did anyone know if those booked to travel with dogs were the first to be contacted to guarantee that they could still be accommodated and equally if those on a waiting list for dog-friendly-cabin cancellations got first choice of whatever new allocation is now available? 

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

But only until mid-May

I suspect that the 6 weeks or so that has been published in the timetable is the minimum guarantee in the contract and that Mid May onwards will get triggered in March if required. 

• Like 1

At the risk of sounding slightly smug, I`m glad we booked for the St Malo run again..She might be old and not as comfortable (unless you`re in a heavy sea that is) but there is no way they can giddy up that old girl 😁

• Haha 1

They could chuck all of that accumulated dust and carpet fluff over board. That would lighten her a bit and give them half a knot or so. Ed. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They could chuck all of that accumulated dust and carpet fluff over board. That would lighten her a bit and give them half a knot or so. Ed. 

I have every confidence that a select band of experienced and well remunerated cleaners will be hard at work, in Le Havre, as we speak doing just that..Mind you don`t want her busting a gut in case she breaks down...Not so sprightly anymore you know 😂

New Time table on Le Havre / Portsmouth route is good for french customers…

why there are no amendments after May 13?

6 minutes ago, LHCity said:

New Time table on Le Havre / Portsmouth route is good for french customers…

why there are no amendments after May 13?

It is only a revised timetable