BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

There is an interesting response to a written question in parliament that implies the extra capacity that the government has 'bought' is into the UK and that the government will control who uses it !

image.png.83fe82a6e686ebe3150e16338c5ae860.png

On 24/01/2019 at 19:17, wortley said:

I'm hoping the Plymouth Roscoff timetable changes will last a few weeks longer - a 1500 sailing from Plymouth will give me a free day cabin and the 2130 Roscoff arrival will put me into a nice overnight hotel  - for the same sort of price as an overnight cabin on the 2200 overnight sailing and "Please vacate your cabins" before I have had my beauty sleep. I live in hope ! 

Night sailings affect us differently. Arriving at our cottage in the morning means we don't get hot water until the off peak meter cuts in on the first night. Arriving at night we get hot water on the first morning.

Bob Crox,

If you have the internet at your cottage I have come up with a way to make that controllable remotely, so you could activate your off peak (heures creuse) on the night of your choosing. BUT - there must be access via wifi to the internet at your cottage whilst you are not there.

Bob.

(Sorry - off topic - oops)

Edited by BobtheBunker

5 hours ago, BobtheBunker said:

Bob Crox,

If you have the internet at your cottage.

Internet? We don't even have a mobile phone signal!☹️

8 minutes ago, BobCrox said:

Internet? We don't even have a mobile phone signal!☹️

Once asked a fellow club member for his email address. He replied that he didn't have a 

computer and only just  started to carry a spare Biro these days!

Toddle pip

No deal ‘could be catastrophe’ warns ferry boss

Brexit is hitting bookings as travel firms cannot address consumers’ questions about the possible disruption to travel in the event of no deal.

Brittany Ferries’ chief executive Christophe Mathieu highlighted the problem at an Abta Brexit briefing in London on Thursday, saying: “No deal could be a catastrophe for a company like ours.”

He told the Abta event on Brexit and the Future of UK Travel: “You can imagine the pound goes down, consumer confidence goes down – 85% of our customers are British. That is two million customers a year.”

Mathieu said: “One of our biggest concerns is that we can’t offer the reassurance we want to when people book holidays.

“We face questions daily. We are unable to give answers other than that ‘We hope to minimise disruption’ and preserve the status quo.”

He said: “Bookings are down about 6% [year on year] for Brittany and Spain. They are down more for families who sail with us every year.”

Yet Mathieu insisted: “We remain optimistic. Britain will still be part of Europe. St Malo will be no further from Portsmouth. We will still be able to sail to Spain.

“Politics is politics, but geography is geography.”

Mathieu noted Brittany Ferries was among the companies recently awarded UK Department for Transport contracts to deliver vital supplies, including medicines, to Britain in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

He described the deal as “our insurance against catastrophe”.

Brittany Ferries was founded by a group of Breton farmers to transport their produce to the UK in 1973, the year Britain joined the EU.

It operates ferries between the UK and France and Spain.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/322915/no-deal-could-be-catastrophe-warns-ferry-boss

Since BF is exposed at the front end of all this "No deal" Brexit mess, and in some respects any business that that involves transport into the EU, I can't understand why a passenger/holidaymaker optional deposit of at least £100 is not offered in order to allow any claims under Section 75 should disruption or losses in travel arise. This would cover passenger losses and offer some confidence to customers and may increase BF bookings.

As I understand  the banking "chargeback"is not set in law so any losses would be at the discretion of the banks etc.

Just an idea, but cheap insurance at no total cost to the customer.

Surprised that the CEO of BF should make public the low business level this fiasco has caused. Positivity required in all things these days. Leave the gloom to the Daily "Fail" and its like.

Baby, its cold outside!

Stu

Edited by straightfeed
engerlish!

Surprised that the CEO of BF should make public the low business level this fiasco has caused. Positivity required in all things these days. Leave the gloom to the Daily "Fail" and its like.

Can't say I blame him. His potential customers aren't stupid so why gloss over the reality?

The continuing civil unrest combined with Brexit uncertainty hardly make France an enticing holiday destination at the moment. Plus when his ships set sail they could end up almost anywhere at short or even no notice - people don't like that.

I have a friend who is a hardened caravanner, albeit he normally uses the short sea crossings. For at least 25 years he has been taking his 'van' to France and points south and since his retirement has spent six months of the year on the Continent, mainly France in two trips, one each side of the school summer holidays. Normally by now he would have all his arrangements in place for both trips but has actually booked nothing. He is definitely not going on his usual first visit and the Autumn one is very much in doubt.

Mrs B and I would normally take a couple of short breaks in France each year. The last one was Loire Valley last May. We do not envisage visiting France this year at all.

It is all very sad but people vote with their feet.

8 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

Can't say I blame him. His potential customers aren't stupid so why gloss over the reality?

The continuing civil unrest combined with Brexit uncertainty hardly make France an enticing holiday destination at the moment. Plus when his ships set sail they could end up almost anywhere at short or even no notice - people don't like that.

I have a friend who is a hardened caravanner, albeit he normally uses the short sea crossings. For at least 25 years he has been taking his 'van' to France and points south and since his retirement has spent six months of the year on the Continent, mainly France in two trips, one each side of the school summer holidays. Normally by now he would have all his arrangements in place for both trips but has actually booked nothing. He is definitely not going on his usual first visit and the Autumn one is very much in doubt.

Mrs B and I would normally take a couple of short breaks in France each year. The last one was Loire Valley last May. We do not envisage visiting France this year at all.

It is all very sad but people vote with their feet.

As you say the state of France is not helping, we see enough on here about not just the unrest but the way prices are going.  I am planning to go to France this year but not booked yet, last year I had Spain booked by now, I intend to book when family commitments are sorted.

This is all about the current level of uncertainty, hopefully in a couple of months (or so) the uncertainty will be over and everyone can plan appropriately. This is not a good time for any decision that BF may have to make regarding the Honfeur.

1 minute ago, Solo said:

Point taken but its not about stupidity its about confidence. You seem to have lost that as far as BF are concerned. Its a mad spiral. 
I can think of many ways Bf could inspire confidence.

Where did you get the reality bit from. Much guesswork here. The only reality here is the social disturbances in France. That's bad.

Best, Stu

I've not lost confidence in BF, I feel sorry for them as events are conspiring against them through no fault of their own.

By reality I mean't the perceived effect of these factors is having a significant effect on bookings which may not be recouped even if things turn out sort of OK (best we can possibly hope for) because people are making alternative holiday arrangements which is what we have done. That is an actual loss to BF.

I'm not sure how much influence BF talking up their services would have to be honest. Given the overall scope of the Brexit situation the fate of a ferry company isn't going to loom large in the scheme of things.

All BF can really do is to cross their fingers, cope as best they can and hope that things don't go into total meltdown, they are a hostage to events.

I meant to add to my previous post that last week on Radio Cornwall's very popular phone in, Laurence Reed said Brittany Ferries had cancelled sailings, I felt like phoning in but the BBC ( Brussels Broadcasting Corporation) have been picked up on it before.  If we can't trust the BBC who can we trust.

1 minute ago, Solo said:

I meant to add to my previous post that last week on Radio Cornwall's very popular phone in, Laurence Reed said Brittany Ferries had cancelled sailings, I felt like phoning in but the BBC ( Brussels Broadcasting Corporation) have been picked up on it before.  If we can't trust the BBC who can we trust.

Well to be truthful they have cancelled sailings but have replaced each one with 1.5 sailings on average due to the government scheme that they signed up to. BF's mistake was not to tell the public and their customers what was happening (or if they did, it was not done correctly) as soon as the government press release went out and to send messages to all those booked passengers reassuring them. They seem to have failed to do so and unfortunately that is difficult to turn around in the social-media-dominated world we now live in. Ed

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well to be truthful they have cancelled sailings

Yes, they cancelled sailings but did not cancel bookings - they also let it drip out over a weekend & did not react - even today there is a twitter question: !

image.png.341a63492438f11bd7c39612b23780d3.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Yes, they cancelled sailings but did not cancel bookings - they also let it drip out over a weekend & did not react - even today there is a twitter question: !

image.png.341a63492438f11bd7c39612b23780d3.png

Exactly. It has been handled badly and the MD really can't blame Brexit for everything. If the government said they were going public with the news on a specific date then BF, DFDS and Seaborne Freight must have known they would need to get their PR team into gear to handle the consequences. That happened to be the week between Christmas and the New Year (29/12/18 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46704522) which was unfortunate because many members of staff might have been absent but the company's responsibility was to foresee the fallout and respond to the inevitable inquiries. Ed

6 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Seaborne Freight must have known they would need to get their PR team into gear to handle the consequences.

It might be an idea to get a freight service first rather than a PR team.

5 minutes ago, G4rth said:

It might be an idea to get a freight service first rather than a PR team.

That's just it they have the PR team but no freight service, the PR team is good, a load of civil servants believed them.

16 minutes ago, Solo said:

That's just it they have the PR team but no freight service, the PR team is good, a load of civil servants believed them.

Without exception we all hear things we want to believe much better than things we don't want to believe.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LHCity said:

Major works at the Transmanche terminal of Le Havre in anticipation of BREXIT.

The port authority of Le Havre expects a large transfer from Calais to Le Havre

Reportage of French television: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/normandie/seine-maritime/havre/havre-terminal-ferries-fait-travaux-brexit-1637740.html

Thanks @LHCity, is that the terminal carpark they seem to be ripping up to create more hardstanding for HGV's?

Edited by jonno

40 minutes ago, jonno said:

Thanks @LHCity, is that the terminal carpark they seem to be ripping up to create more hardstanding for HGV's?

Yes that's it.

• Thanks 1