BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

Two sailings were cancelled by BF last year, both of which I was on so am out of practice and have got lazy as well, lol.  One crossing on Barfleur because of a strike and Armorique if I remember due to the weather.  I always liked the overnighters from Poole, so now we have them it would be nice to do a couple while have the chance. 

Edited by Khaines

On 03/02/2019 at 10:20, cvabishop said:

Can't say I blame him. His potential customers aren't stupid so why gloss over the reality?

The continuing civil unrest combined with Brexit uncertainty hardly make France an enticing holiday destination at the moment. Plus when his ships set sail they could end up almost anywhere at short or even no notice - people don't like that.

I have a friend who is a hardened caravanner, albeit he normally uses the short sea crossings. For at least 25 years he has been taking his 'van' to France and points south and since his retirement has spent six months of the year on the Continent, mainly France in two trips, one each side of the school summer holidays. Normally by now he would have all his arrangements in place for both trips but has actually booked nothing. He is definitely not going on his usual first visit and the Autumn one is very much in doubt.

Mrs B and I would normally take a couple of short breaks in France each year. The last one was Loire Valley last May. We do not envisage visiting France this year at all.

It is all very sad but people vote with their feet.

The uncertainty has also made us think about this years trips. We have decided not to take any sea crossings from UK to France and Spain but will book flights instead. When things become clearer after Brexit we may have a rethink.

I haven’t given the possible effects much thought to be honest the customs at Plymouth especially have been shocking for years now that’s the only thing that’s made me contemplate not using them.

8 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I haven’t given the possible effects much thought to be honest the customs at Plymouth especially have been shocking for years now that’s the only thing that’s made me contemplate not using them.

And the M5 as well🤣....Likewise we havent given it much thought either. The worst can happen is delays out of and back into the port, which we have already factored into our journey times. OK the bloody minded dockers can always throw a wobbler but so can the ATC and that affects most flights,one way or another. In the event we are delayed, we`ll chill, listen to music and put the air conditioning on.

• Like 1

Sometimes my biggest concern is whether I have time to rush to the portacabin loo before the land starts moving , M5 is terrible regardless and the average speed cameras on the M6 are chronic.

• Like 1

Travelled back up on the M5 today from Combe Martin and...? No roadworks or stoppages on any of the motorways or A roads, missus actually commented about the lack of cones on the M1.

Regarding France I don't give travelling there by ferry or holidaying there a 2nd thought, personally I don't know what the big deal is, I mean, there's been French websites for years specifically listing strikes so you can plan to avoid them, they're a national pastime, C'est la gréve.fr for starters... and you can use you're fingers and toes to chronologically tick off civil unrest and riots over the past 20 years or so.

Ok,so the country is bonkers but nothing has changed for me. I love the place and the people and I love travelling there by ferry.

• Like 1

I see it has led to the arrival of Police Aux Frontières at Roscoff, in addition to standard Customs checks. What does this involve? I regularly travel Plymouth-Roscoff, but haven't recently traveled Portsmouth-France (sorry if it's a stupid question!) 

FT has an article stating that the UK government is to try to sell the excess ferry capacity it has created, but not yet required due to no Brexit delays.

19 hours ago, jonno said:

Travelled back up on the M5 today from Combe Martin and...? No roadworks or stoppages on any of the motorways or A roads, missus actually commented about the lack of cones on the M1.

I’m hoping it’s equally as trouble free for our journeys in August and September, still haggling for the Thursday off work so I can get an extra day in France but if I have to travel through the night the road should be quiet, I haven’t seen any moaning about the customs at Plymouth yet but it’s not peak season yet.

17 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I’m hoping it’s equally as trouble free for our journeys in August and September, still haggling for the Thursday off work so I can get an extra day in France but if I have to travel through the night the road should be quiet, I haven’t seen any moaning about the customs at Plymouth yet but it’s not peak season yet.

I went through Plymouth on Thursday 21st March, last Thursday of Armorique sailings and customs were being a pain. there are only two lanes through their shed and they were stopping vehicles in both and searching them causing long delays for people wanting to take advantage of early boarding. Customs have the list of all people travelling so are in a position to cause minimum disruption by acting on intelligence and the spotters before the shed but I felt they were just making a point to cause maximum disruption because of the long time from ticket boots opening and sailing time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bisnick said:

I went through Plymouth on Thursday 21st March, last Thursday of Armorique sailings and customs were being a pain. there are only two lanes through their shed and they were stopping vehicles in both and searching them causing long delays for people wanting to take advantage of early boarding. Customs have the list of all people travelling so are in a position to cause minimum disruption by acting on intelligence and the spotters before the shed but I felt they were just making a point to cause maximum disruption because of the long time from ticket boots opening and sailing time.

I think perhaps get used to it. I expect it'll be the same when the B word is sorted. Particularly French side, because they enjoy causing a bit a hassle. 

I fail to understand why Customs search people and vehicles on the way out..They are not security officers. At airports you only see customs, and very very rarely on the inbound...why?

Apologies if this has already been covered... but in the scenario that we have limits imposed again on bringing back wine and beer etc... 

It is possible that BF could sell onboard (a large discounted range), and you could bring back as much as you wanted still -  if it was purchased within British waters?

If it was purchased within British waters wouldn't it be subject to the same duty and taxes as onshore? I don't see how they could make money by selling such products at a massive discount. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

If it was purchased within British waters wouldn't it be subject to the same duty and taxes as onshore? I don't see how they could make money by selling such products at a massive discount. Ed. 

Exactly. Buy it on shore and save the cost of the ferry ticket as well.

Presumably, in a no-deal scenario come 12 April, on board duty free sales become an immediate possibility.  Same as coming back from the Canaries or the United States whereby a duty free allowance of a litre of spirits and 200 cigarettes etc per adult passenger applies. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Think a Bill to be passed imminently to rule out "No Deal" - 

If that's the case they need to agree to the deal on the table.

19 hours ago, G4rth said:

Exactly. Buy it on shore and save the cost of the ferry ticket as well.

Takes all the fun out of it! :P 

I don't know if the ferries are equipped to stock and sell the same volumes of alcohol and tobacco today as they did back then. The space allocated to shops onboard seems smaller today than I remember. How easy would it be for them to enlarge that capacity? I recall the shop on Norman Spirit being reduced in size during her first crossing with LD lines after her transfer from Dover-Calais due to the different market requirements. Ed. 

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't know if the ferries are equipped to stock and sell the same volumes of alcohol and tobacco today as they did back then. The space allocated to shops onboard seems smaller today than I remember. How easy would it be for them to enlarge that capacity? I recall the shop on Norman Spirit being reduced in size during her first crossing with LD lines after her transfer from Dover-Calais due to the different market requirements. Ed. 

I am sure if business requirements, and a market was there post-brexit, they could reasonably easily allow for larger areas for stock keeping and even perhaps enlarge shopping areas next refit season? BDS shop seems oversized for what is in it to be fair - which partly backs up what you said.

An interesting update on what's happening at Ouistreham re Brexit. From today's local freesheet, Tendance Ouest - here's an extract. And of course apologies for the machine translation, I'm a bit short of time.

"The Brexit means the return of borders, which does not mean blockade" , adds Serge Duyrat, regional director of customs. The main challenge: ensuring the smooth flow of goods. In anticipation of a specific computer system was developed by the customs: the "IF Brexit". "It helps to see the information from the ship's departure and the UK before arriving in order to distinguish vehicles that require special control, those who must carry out customs formalities or those to go to the Veterinary Inspection Services and Phytosanitary (SIVEP) ".  

An anticipation that does not always seem obvious to Patrice Narozny, director of port and logistics operations Brittany Holiday not: "This fluidity is based in particular on the responsibility of importers and exporters to make their statement prematurely If it is not done. in time, the risk is that they saturate the terminal parking lot. " In Ouistreham, the parking lot has a capacity of 100 seats, which could, in case of late reporting, problem.

A new building for veterinary checks

Meet deadlines would be beneficial to everyone, as customs carriers. Upon arrival of the ferry, so vehicles can follow several routes, which are distinguished by color. The "green" way or "orange" will come out sooner or later the terminal depending on the goods.

These are sometimes mixed within heavyweight. Animal and plant food and live animals will go through a veterinary and phytosanitary control in a brand new building. The latter is located about 3 kms from the port of Ouistreham where 12 people and 7 ensure veterinary control. Caroline Guillaume, Regional Director of Food, Agriculture and Forestry (DRAAF) details:

No surprise that more BF staff and more customs staff have been recruited across all three Normandy ports. But I was surprised to learn that the animal and fruit/vegetable inspection will take place outside the port compound. But I was surprised to see mention of live animals ???

HTH to increase our understanding.

Ken

Brittany Ferries Brexit timetable changes have recently been extended until the end of September.