BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

1 hour ago, westy said:

Brittany Ferries Brexit timetable changes have recently been extended until the end of September.

Although according to Brittany Ferries Freight timetables, only to Cherbourg and Le Havre. Seems the Roscoff (and St Malo) routes revert to the off season timetable for one week in mid May (Armorique 6 departures each way a week) then the 'shoulder' season timetable from late May (7 a week).

We've never had any particularly long delays with French or Spanish border control. But every time we return to Portsmouth or Poole there is a very long & slow queue, badly organised with such issues as inadequate lane directions and the frequent searching of vehicles whilst they hold up the entire queue. Presumably this will only get worse now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almosthere said:

We've never had any particularly long delays with French or Spanish border control. But every time we return to Portsmouth or Poole there is a very long & slow queue, badly organised with such issues as inadequate lane directions and the frequent searching of vehicles whilst they hold up the entire queue. Presumably this will only get worse now.

Or you could argue that there are more sailings, with less on... so queues will be better?!

Or you could argue that there are more sailings, with less on... so queues will be better?!

But if there is no increase in the numbers of security/customs staff then there will be less of them on each shift so back to square one?

A lot of the complaints re delays on leaving ports are actually down to Border Force, not Customs, and the inordinate amount of time they take to process people. Their staffing levels are little short of a scandal..

• Like 1

On 02/04/2019 at 12:53, Solo said:

If that's the case they need to agree to the deal on the table.

More likely just another extension - probably a long one.....

1 hour ago, Paully said:

A lot of the complaints re delays on leaving ports are actually down to Border Force, not Customs, and the inordinate amount of time they take to process people. Their staffing levels are little short of a scandal..

I can't say I've ever seen much customs activity that's caused any problems. Passport control is horrendous, I think it's symptomatic of a much wider problem in British politics though and unfortunately I don't see it being resolved any time soon.

Like you it does annoy me when people don't know the difference between security, immigration and customs.

Like you it does annoy me when people don't know the difference between security, immigration and customs

Sorry, consider wrist slapped! Yes, it is the passport controls that cause the delays. Same with the airports. Down to the Government cutting the number of staff 'to save money' some years back. It doesn't actually save money of course, just transfers the costs elsewhere but joined up thinking tends to be an alien concept to Government departments and bureaucracy generally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paully said:

Our last passage through PIP on the 22nd March all border force booths were open with an excess of Border force personnel.

We had heard through a family contact that all leave for for the months of March/April was cancelled.

Credit where credit is due, well done Border Force.

However the French Douaines were on a Pre original Brexit day  go slow/Work to rule  the other side in Ouistreham!.

3 hours ago, cvabishop said:

But if there is no increase in the numbers of security/customs staff then there will be less of them on each shift so back to square one?

I doubt that will be the case, because the majority of these sailings are Plymouth + Portsmouth increases... whereby the border will have to be manned during hours where there were simply no staff there before, so they will not be thinner on the ground, - you would imagine they have the same volume as a normal sailing by bringing in extra staff who are not based at the port. 

Portsmouth is a bit of a different animal because they have a permanent border presence! 

11 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

So where are all these extra staff coming from?

Well I don't have figures, but it is the Border Force's job to provide cover to protect borders when they are in use.

ergo - BF have more sailings, they will provide more staff. I don't really see the big issue? If BF were to independently decide to increase Plymouths' rotations by 50%, it doesn't mean all the passengers will have to wait at the border until the staff are in does it!

Edited by hf_uk

Indeed, but they can't just magic up staff, especially when the hours may be unsociable so the greater likelihood is that hey will change their rosters around using existing staff so maybe where you might have had 3 or 4 staff available there may just be a couple on duty hich could result in local queues.

Some clues here and I doubt if the situation has changed much. https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmhaff/421/42105.htm

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Well I don't have figures, but it is the Border Force's job to provide cover to protect borders when they are in use.

ergo - BF have more sailings, they will provide more staff. I don't really see the big issue? If BF were to independently decide to increase Plymouths' rotations by 50%, it doesn't mean all the passengers will have to wait at the border until the staff are in does it!

It happened at Newquay airport a few weeks back, a flight came in late evening and they had to wait for imigration staff to arrive from Plymouth.

54 minutes ago, Solo said:

It happened at Newquay airport a few weeks back, a flight came in late evening and they had to wait for imigration staff to arrive from Plymouth.

Presumably they hadn't been waiting at Plymouth airport for quite some time?! :D 

However in response to you there - I am sure that would have been a mistake due to unforseen circumstances - not due to scheduling. I have yet to see a Ferry full of passengers arrive and no border-control to deal with them? Arguably a small regional aircraft will have minimal numbers, so could mean that resources are stretched further if the arrival of large vessels are increasing in frequency. The border force will have numbers expected for each arrival.

Back to the Newquay incident you mention - I did think that it is interesting that the government has recently started supplementing a new Newquay to London service which they have acknowledged will be making a loss for the foreseeable future, but were quite happy to see Plymouth airport closed when (to my knowledge) they never had to step in...  

The number of Newquay rotations is far more than can conceivably be required too. If Plymouth airport was still open, perhaps the border agency could have flown down and not kept people waiting!

Edited by hf_uk

Electronic passport gates have really changed getting through airports. Coming back into the UK at most UK airpports is now a breeze with queues of the past greatly diminished. It's a shame that the same technology cannot be applied at ferry ports. It would surely save time and staffimng costs? Has anybody seen better practice in a ferry port in another country which has used electronic passport checks to speed arrival? For me, the passport queues are the worst thing about ferry travel.

Bit of a squeeze to get a car through an electronic passport gate!

They do rely on facial recognition so presumably non foot passengers would all need to get out of the car to be screened. That's going to hold things up a bit.

I wish my schedules were so important that a half an hour delay at a booth was so life changingly inconvenient.

You travel by one of the slowest forms of transport then complain about passport control and customs slowing you down?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Bookings down, sailings up: time for some discounted last-minute fares perhaps. 

Ed. 

Not sure that would be much use. For the busy summer period nobody will know what documentation they will need. They don't even know if it will be the same when they leave for their holiday and won't have changed while they're away.

No, I'm not sure that is now correct. A No-Deal scenario can't now happen until 31 October but we can leave before then if a deal is ratified and then the transition period (where nothing reality changes for a couple of years) kicks in. So my reading of the current situation is that it's now safe to book for the summer and early autumn without any risk. Ed. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

No, I'm not sure that is now correct. A No-Deal scenario can't now happen until 31 October but we can leave before then if a deal is ratified and then the transition period (where nothing reality changes for a couple of years) kicks in. So my reading of the current situation is that it's now safe to book for the summer and early autumn without any risk. Ed. 

No strictly speaking true. It just means that it won't be a summer deadline that forces us out. Politicians can still do it if they so choose. Probably unlikely but not impossible given the state of the UK at the moment. It still leaves a potential  deadline very close to the autumn half-term though.

Edited by G4rth

I suppose so, but a low risk. However, the government might prefer people stay here this summer to spend their money in the country rather than give it to other nations. Ed.