BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

BF have two offerings to Ireland now. 

Pont Aven "luxury cruise ferry" and the "economy" option Connemara. They both serve Cork admittedly, however I would guess that BF would be extremely cautious about expanding too much into Ireland... Irish ferries know their market, and from what I have seen personally on Roscoff-Cork sailings, unless it is peak season, demand is weak. I doubt they would go for much more at the moment. Just my opinion...

At the moment no I don't think they will either but give it a year, less if something suitable appears on their radar... I feel a Bilbao coming on.

Looking at the figures I'd suggest that it's weak because it's Cork. I'F's decision, for me, is about exploitation, the most cash in the shortest time and it stops Stena having a bash at Dublin - Cherbourg with an E- Flexer. Dublin is the only port Irish Ferries will 'win' at. Stena own Fishguard, Holyhead, Loch Ryan & 50% of Rosslare.

The difference for BF is that it's not core business, a 700 max pax Cap Finistere would slide in there lovely. I have a feeling it'll be her or SFX. There's 130,000 freight units at Rosslare. it won't be ignored for long.

• Like 1

I think BF should minimise their costs to UK government re the extra sailings. They should only seek to recoup money spent with no profit. The UK tax payer has paid loads on wasted MP time and other things 're Brexit. It's an unpresidented situation.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, adicat said:

I think BF should minimise their costs to UK government re the extra sailings. They should only seek to recoup money spent with no profit. The UK tax payer has paid loads on wasted MP time and other things 're Brexit. It's an unpresidented situation.

P&O and Eurotunnel didn't seem that bothered though...

3 minutes ago, adicat said:

To do that they would need to cancel the extra sailings, sack the extra staff and go back to the old timetable. That would then affect those that are booked on the route as all sailing times are affected.

• Like 2

The whole initiative was ill conceived and executed by the UK Government as was pointed out to them at the time. A classic case of 'must be seen to be doing something' even if it didn't actually address the funamental problem which was lack of marshalling space and paperwork processing rather than space on ferries. As UK taxpayers we will simply have to shoulder the cost of these mistakes. (and others!)

1 hour ago, straightfeed said:

Oh dear, last time our commented on our excellent and honest press as above I got deleted by the Mods. So I wont say a thing. Oh God I just did. Silly me!

Stu

Nothing to do with your post, which was fine.  It was just because ofthe way the discussion evolved, in such a way that another forum member took offence (where none was intended but where it could have been read the way he interpreted it).  So we removed the whole sequence. 😉

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, adicat said:

I think BF should minimise their costs to UK government re the extra sailings. They should only seek to recoup money spent with no profit.

Why? The government freely entered into a contract with the ferry companies. Ferry companies are in business to make a profit. If some idiot approaches them and gives them money to provide an additional service and then decides they don't want that service tough on the fools that made the original offer. Were all complicit in this mess to some degree so the fact that it's tough on the rest of us as well is neither here nor there.  

9 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Nothing to do with your post, which was fine.  It was just because ofthe way the discussion evolved, in such a way that another forum member took offence (where none was intended but where it could have been read the way he interpreted it).  So we removed the whole sequence. 😉

Yeah and I thought an anagram was sort of X Ray?

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, David Williams said:

And BF Customers on 3 routes get mucked around. Interesting that there was a Twitter reference to BF becoming Customer Centric.

BF are between a rock and a hard place. Had the worst case scenario became reality and it was revealed BF had refused to help in order to protect the travel plans of the well off. Farage and the tabloids would have a field day, a French company protecting the holidays of the metropolitan elite whilst ordinary brits deal with food shortages.

It is, as pointed out above, an HMG issue: did the contracts include a clause about Liquidated and Ascertained Damages (LADs)? If so then only evidenced losses incurred by BF would be liable

I remember there were quite a few moans and complaints when BF changed some of its sailings to accommodate the extra capacity contracted with HMG. To alter these again in the light of the cancellation of the contract might well risk reputational damage to BF.  Swapping customers’ bookings once was an annoyance for some, but could be blamed on the Government and Brexit. To mess them around a second time is something I wonder if they would risk, unless it was part of a much bigger shuffling of ships to cover for Pont Aven maybe 

• Like 2

Would they have to change any sailings?  They were guaranteed a certain amount even if the contract was cancelled and that is what they allowed for in the initial extra sailings, with more to be added if needed.

It won’t have even crossed their minds to change the timetables already-changed back again.  Would be a massive own-goal.

• Like 1

If anyone is interested BF are running a 'flash sale' until midnight Monday on crossings from Portsmouth to Le Havre and Poole to Cherbourg with 25% off the usual fares. I assume they are trying to sell off some of the extra capacity they have now found themselves with and that the government wants made available on the open market. 

Here's the link :

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/offers/ferry/25-flash-sale

Ed

• Thanks 1

So let me get this right. In the EU we had a butter mountain and a wine lake. Coming out of the EU we have a surplus of sailings. Politicians - don't you just love them!

Edited by Millsy

Not sure BF are all that bothered about getting rid of these `surplus` sailings. The flash sale wasnt exactly widely published, that I can see. Wasn`t sent as an advisory to this site and its enthusiasts, and lasted over a weekend when a lot of people would have been busy elsewhere.

Just wonder if it was a genuine offer, in which case I would have expected it to be open for longer or BF got cattle prodded by the DoT to be seen to be doing something...Makes you wonder.

1 minute ago, Paully said:

Not sure BF are all that bothered about getting rid of these `surplus` sailings. The flash sale wasnt exactly widely published, that I can see. Wasn`t sent as an advisory to this site and its enthusiasts, and lasted over a weekend when a lot of people would have been busy elsewhere.

Just wonder if it was a genuine offer, in which case I would have expected it to be open for longer or BF got cattle prodded by the DoT to be seen to be doing something...Makes you wonder.

It was visible on the homepage about 1/3 of the way down but, as you say, not widely publicised. It'll be interesting to see if others pop up now that one has finished. Ed. 

On 01/05/2019 at 15:49, Cabin-boy said:

And the press in Plymouth isn't helping by using this type of headline. 

https://t.co/hfHR2LocOw

Ed

All I take from that article, is that they used a current image. That alone is a miracle :)

(although to be critical, not sure how many Bretagne sailings Plymouth is expecting this year, but hey ho).

On 02/05/2019 at 08:29, JenT said:

I remember there were quite a few moans and complaints when BF changed some of its sailings to accommodate the extra capacity contracted with HMG. To alter these again in the light of the cancellation of the contract might well risk reputational damage to BF.  Swapping customers’ bookings once was an annoyance for some, but could be blamed on the Government and Brexit. To mess them around a second time is something I wonder if they would risk, unless it was part of a much bigger shuffling of ships to cover for Pont Aven maybe 

From what I can see on the timetables, Cherbourg and Le Havre are altered, but not Roscoff. As you say, they are unlikely to change back, but that still leaves Armorique - which less face it is hardly flat-out once May13th arrives again (until peak season anyway)...

10 hours ago, hf_uk said:

From what I can see on the timetables, Cherbourg and Le Havre are altered, but not Roscoff. As you say, they are unlikely to change back, but that still leaves Armorique - which less face it is hardly flat-out once May13th arrives again (until peak season anyway)...

They are categoric that they will not be changing back. 

https://twitter.com/BrittanyFerries/status/1125828694029762561?s=20

Ed

This is in the Bournemouth/Poole Echo today.  Bit confused by it - I am booked on the Friday overnight from Poole, and this lady is saying the Saturday sailings are cancelled.  Confused as I have had no email and I would be on the Saturday afternoon sailing home.  I am assuming all is ok for my crossing, not received any emails myself.  Bit confused with this story - or the way the Echo has worded it.

Perhaps some on here could put it in plain English.  As far as I know they are honouring the revised schedule, as said I have had no emails or texts or anything, so am assuming all is going to plan. 

Assume this belongs in this section of the forum as it is BF and Brexit related.

C33CB349-7078-492B-893B-F3859A2C384B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

This is in the Bournemouth/Poole Echo today.  Bit confused by it - I am booked on the Friday overnight from Poole, and this lady is saying the Saturday sailings are cancelled.  Confused as I have had no email and I would be on the Saturday afternoon sailing home.  I am assuming all is ok for my crossing, not received any emails myself.  Bit confused with this story - or the way the Echo has worded it.

Perhaps some on here could put it in plain English.  As far as I know they are honouring the revised schedule, as said I have had no emails or texts or anything, so am assuming all is going to plan. 

Assume this belongs in this section of the forum as it is BF and Brexit related.

C33CB349-7078-492B-893B-F3859A2C384B.jpeg

I think you'll find there are numerous poorly written stories in the Echo. The person making the complaint appears to have made a reservation prior to the introduction of the new timetable. Their original crossing has been cancelled and additional sailings from Poole on the date required have no cabins available. A situation quite common at busy times in the past.

Thanks, what confused me is that she made the booking in January, and a fair amount of time has passed since the introduction of the new timetables and she only just received an email this week about Saturday crossings being cancelled. I was just wondering if they had changed the schedules again!