BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

Hi all. Am new to this site. I saw the topic and thought I would add our experience. We had booked a Poole Cherbourg crossing for the 24th August. On ringing today to pay some of the balance, imagine our surprise to be told our crossing had been cancelled. We were given the reason as Brexit, but they didn’t elaborate further. I asked why we hadn’t been informed, only to be told they would of contacted us nearer the time. It is more than a little frustrating as due to it being a peak travel weekend there were very limited alternative options. We have now had to book a hotel overnight the night before in order to take the alternative crossing offered,otherwise we would of needed to leave home at 4am, which with an 8 hour drive in France would of been too much.  My confusion is that having checked their website tonight, I can still book onto the very crossing we were taking, but have been told today has been cancelled! Not sure if anyone else has had this. Thanks. 

The previous post to yours was one of mine for a very similar situation.  I am due to travel next Friday night from Poole and as yet have had no contact from BF to say it has been cancelled.  I will contact BF myself and check my own crossing.

On 03/06/2019 at 20:20, Tolroy20 said:

Hi all. Am new to this site. I saw the topic and thought I would add our experience. We had booked a Poole Cherbourg crossing for the 24th August. On ringing today to pay some of the balance, imagine our surprise to be told our crossing had been cancelled. We were given the reason as Brexit, but they didn’t elaborate further. I asked why we hadn’t been informed, only to be told they would of contacted us nearer the time. It is more than a little frustrating as due to it being a peak travel weekend there were very limited alternative options. We have now had to book a hotel overnight the night before in order to take the alternative crossing offered,otherwise we would of needed to leave home at 4am, which with an 8 hour drive in France would of been too much.  My confusion is that having checked their website tonight, I can still book onto the very crossing we were taking, but have been told today has been cancelled! Not sure if anyone else has had this. Thanks. 

Tolroy - in my experience they may well sometimes stagger news like this, and as you are travelling in several months, you may  have been on the list to be told but not heard yet. I think with Brexit changes  to sailng times, and the other technical disruption this year, BF have been very busy changing people around (certainly seemed that way when on the phone to me), so they have done it in stages. My Pont Aven trip was cancelled, but I heard in advance. Not sure why Khaines in the next post wouldn't have heard at this late stage though!

26 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Tolroy - in my experience they may well sometimes stagger news like this, and as you are travelling in several months, you may  have been on the list to be told but not heard yet. I think with Brexit changes  to sailng times, and the other technical disruption this year, BF have been very busy changing people around (certainly seemed that way when on the phone to me), so they have done it in stages. My Pont Aven trip was cancelled, but I heard in advance. Not sure why Khaines in the next post wouldn't have heard at this late stage though!

Mine is going ahead, just had it confirmed on the phone.  Quite worried as my last crossing ended up in a cancellation on BF’s side due to industrial action at short notice in Cherbourg.  In that case they were really caught on the hop and didn’t get a chance to notify people in time.  Remember turning up at Poole and no Barfleur sitting in her berth, and wondering what the heck was going on went round to the terminal to find out she was still in Cherbourg!  So a day’s shopping in Poole that turned into.  Then my Armorique booking was cancelled due to bad weather - so I was praying to dear God that this one would go ahead.  Luckily all is fine and a very pleasant lady assured me all was ok.  Off to Point du Hoc, then.  So much organising gone into this, a third cancellation would have been very disappointing.

Edited by Khaines

3 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Mine is going ahead, just had it confirmed on the phone.  Quite worried as my last crossing ended up in a cancellation on BF’s side due to industrial action at short notice in Cherbourg.  In that case they were really caught on the hop and didn’t get a chance to notify people in time.  Remember turning up at Poole and no Barfleur sitting in her berth, and wondering what the heck was going on went round to the terminal to find out she was still in Cherbourg!  So a day’s shopping in Poole that turned into.  Then my Armorique booking was cancelled due to bad weather - so I was praying to dear God that this one would go ahead.  Luckily all is fine and a very pleasant lady assured me all was ok.  Off to Point du Hoc, then.  So much organising gone into this, a third cancellation would have been very disappointing.

Excellent. Will you be visiting Chris for some Fine Whines?

1 hour ago, hf_uk said:

Excellent. Will you be visiting Chris for some Fine Whines?

Don’t drink, HF!!😄.  Will be touring pharmacies tracking down pills that are hard to get in UK as doc has agreed to let me try and get them in France.  

Thanks for the reply hf_uk and Khaines. Khaines, good your sailing seems like it’s going ahead, enjoy. Hf_uk, I think you raise some interesting points. Until now, we’ve had the odd delay, industrial action on the french side more than once, but never a cancellation. I’ll keep my eye on the new timetable. Still surprised they are still showing our original crossing on line as I would of thought this is only going to cause more work for them. Maybe they don’t want to remove it in case people start to realise there’s an issue. 

• Like 1

No idea why they are keeping the sailings advertised, seems strange they would.  I would have thought a statement on the website at the very least could be appropriate so those who could be affected know in good time to make alternative arrangements.  In my case it would be just a case of contacting my lift in Cherbourg to say I am not coming over.  He has to give up a day of his own to drive me around, and he could rearrange his time as well if I am not coming over.   Apart from that in my case it would be a third time in a row cancellation...

Out of interest, is it possible that the Government would bung another load of money to ferry companies at the end of October if we have no deal?  The crossing I have just had was an overnight from Poole, part of the extra sailings they put on from earlier in the year.  As far as I know the sailings go back to normal soon - but we are back to where we were back earlier in the year when we were given the extra sailings and nothing has changed during the period this money was meant for, so really we are back to square one come the end of October.  Wondering if BF would be doing extra sailings in the winter months in case of a no deal.BE914499-027C-4C3F-AD90-37FD55FF6E77.thumb.jpeg.b507d7c5dd9c3c6d62cc122de0f894e2.jpeg

I wonder what net financial effect there has been on BF from the UK Government "Brexit bonus"? After all the re-scheduling and mid-term changes to timetables, does this not lose custom? Personally I book a number of weekend trips to France in a year, but find the changes don't make it deterministic and I therefore don't bother. If I'd booked and changes required extra money/ alterations to sailings I would not be pleased. This might impact on my view of BF. Personally, I have always been impressed on how the company specifies what they are going to do and reliably deliver it. Is it worth getting inolved with HM Government who don't seem to be in the real world?

PS For the next round of Brexit changes charge a Mega amount for each additional ship transit.