BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

On 29/06/2019 at 14:53, TonyMWeaver said:

In this latest developement, Brittany Ferries released the following statement:

“Brittany Ferries will carefully consider this latest development in no-deal Brexit planning. We do have flexibility across our fleet operations, through western channel ports of Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth. And of course we were one of the companies awarded a contract last December. But we need to consider carefully what schedule changes will mean for planned freight and passenger operations this autumn and, as a consequence, what additional freight capacity we may be able to guarantee.”

Looks like Brittany Ferries are keeping an open mind for the time being. No Deal seems an increased possibility this time, so I expect these services are likely to be required. Could the problems on Pont Aven influence BF's decision whether to agree to No Deal plans Tony?

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well the obvious solution for all of these intravenous drugs that might be in short supply (like Merlot) is a pipeline. Apparently they are currently installing an undersea cable from near Ouistreham to the UK so if you get in quick there should be no problem running a pipe alongside it. Better still, make it a double direction pipe and you could supply the French with freshly brewed Yorkshire tea on tap which would help the balance of trade. Ed. 

Do you really think that the  French  would go for limitless Yorkshire tea?  Surely it would need to be  Lemon Flavoured and that would be “ never  Appen in  Arrogate” the local council would never allow it.

The 47th Royal Marines secured Port en Bessin as it was envisaged an Pipeline Under the Ocean  “ PLUTO” would terminate there, this never ever happened, Fuel was bought ashore but but only from tankers anchored outside the port. Thus driving  the war effort and advancing the front forward, and keeping, for obvious reasons munitions bought ashore through the Mulberry’s  and fuel apart.

i’m in favour of a WPLUTO Wine Pipeline Under the Ocean idea, it could be a great success, even Boris might approve, if only to make a mess on somebody else’s sofa , Not quite sure what WTO tariff it would come under though! 

The farmers of St Pol might not be so  keen. As it would badly damage one of there bottom lines. But then again that’s nothing a spot of fire 🔥and direct action could not fix.

😅😂😂

Edited by alleeganger10
  • Haha 1

On 29/06/2019 at 14:53, TonyMWeaver said:

In this latest developement, Brittany Ferries released the following statement:

“Brittany Ferries will carefully consider this latest development in no-deal Brexit planning. We do have flexibility across our fleet operations, through western channel ports of Portsmouth, Poole and Plymouth. And of course we were one of the companies awarded a contract last December. But we need to consider carefully what schedule changes will mean for planned freight and passenger operations this autumn and, as a consequence, what additional freight capacity we may be able to guarantee.”

I think it would be appropriate and helpful to cite/link the source of quotes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, scarlton said:

I think it would be appropriate and helpful to cite/link the source of quotes.

It's a Brittany Ferries Statement, as it says. There's only one place to get them.

The deadline for awarding any new contracts has been pushed back. Whether that is due to a lack of offers, complications in the tendering process or the arrival of a new transport minister (now that Chris Grayling's career has nose-dived, come off the rails, run out of road and sunk without a trace) I'm not sure. The official reason given is a lack of time to get it right.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49114667

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

19 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

The deadline for awarding any new contracts has been pushed back. Whether that is due to a lack of offers, complications in the tendering process or the arrival of a new transport minister (now that Chris Grayling's career has nose-dived, come off the rails, run out of road and sunk without a trace) I'm not sure. The official reason given is a lack of time to get it right.

Ed

It could be due to military considerations. General Incompetence might be in charge again.😀

This contract is not about freight capacity which was always a strange idea as the real issues were around paperwork/ planning etc,,

This one is about contracting with a distribution company for a guaranteed parcel delivery service which makes more sense, a summary of the contract is:-

<<DHSC intends to run a procurement exercise to secure access to express parcel services between continental Europe and the United Kingdom (import and export), for the movement of parcel consignments of health care products.

The services required will need to be able to accept products from various consignor locations across Europe and provide a full international express transport service with delivery to end consignee locations in the UK on a 24-hour service basis. Access will also be required for the same services between locations in the UK and Europe. The service provider must also be able to provide full customs and excise support services as required to facilitate the movement of consignments. The solution may utilise any mode of transport, subject to these being compatible with the transit timescale requirements, conditions of carriage, and the effective mitigation of foreseeable disruption to services.

The nature of the majority of goods for which the Authority wishes to facilitate transport will be standard, non-temperature controlled, non-hazardous, and require no extra security measures.

>>

More details https://ted.europa.eu/TED/notice/udl?uri=TED:NOTICE:302921-2019:TEXT:EN:HTML

57 minutes ago, G4rth said:

General Incompetence might be in charge again.😀

No General Incompetence has just been fired

6 minutes ago, Paully said:

No General Incompetence has just been fired

Merely replaced with another of the same ilk I'm afraid. I refer you to David Williams post above. How anyone can be expected to quote for a contract when a requirement  is that the provider "will need to be able to accept products from various consignor locations across Europe and provide a full international express transport service with delivery to end consignee locations in the UK on a 24-hour service basis. Access will also be required for the same services between locations in the UK and Europe". That seems vergeing on lunacy when nobody has any idea what customs arrangements or checks will be in place on 1st November 2019.

22 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Merely replaced with another of the same ilk I'm afraid. I refer you to David Williams post above. How anyone can be expected to quote for a contract when a requirement  is that the provider "will need to be able to accept products from various consignor locations across Europe and provide a full international express transport service with delivery to end consignee locations in the UK on a 24-hour service basis. Access will also be required for the same services between locations in the UK and Europe". That seems vergeing on lunacy when nobody has any idea what customs arrangements or checks will be in place on 1st November 2019.

To be honest DHL etc.. do this every day with fleets of Lorries and planes and are capable of working with Customs to get products released from anywhere in the world very quickly, I believe that the problem with Brexit is going to be with the small companies and owner / operators who do not understand whatever procedures are put in place in the future.or do not have the admin backup needed for them.

7 minutes ago, David Williams said:

To be honest DHL etc.. do this every day with fleets of Lorries and planes and are capable of working with Customs to get products released from anywhere in the world very quickly, I believe that the problem with Brexit is going to be with the small companies and owner / operators who do not understand whatever procedures are put in place in the future.or do not have the admin backup needed for them.

Perhaps there is a slight difference in doing something when the rules are relatively stable and contracting to do the same when the rules are an unknown. I've no doubt people will bid for the work. Whether they will be wise to do so is another matter. To be fair there never seems to be any consequences in defaulting on government contracts so perhaps it's a win win situation for anyone who wants to get involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

They recently lost their KFC contract due to a massive logistical failure so maybe they aren’t such a good example.

1 hour ago, G4rth said:

It was tongue in cheek humourous comment...I`ll leave you to do the heavy stuff

• Like 1

On 26/07/2019 at 08:49, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

I can’t imagine how any operator would be in a position to be able to tender under the terms proposed.  You’d basically need a few ferries lying around doing nothing but fully crewed and ready to go at virtually no notice.

11 hours ago, Khaines said:

Found this this morning on Facebook with regards to No Deal freight contract tenders.  Assume this belongs in this thread as it will probably involve BF.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/freight-capacity-framework-procurement-invitation-to-tender

Possible problems with new plan highlighted.

https://www.cityam.com/new-300m-no-deal-brexit-freight-plan-risks-legal-delays-experts-warn/

In case it's of interest, today's Irish Examiner reports that the Port of Cork has successfully applied for planning permission to "increase the size of a previously permitted customs’ inspection building at Ringaskiddy from 324sq m to 648sq m, primarily in light of the uncertainty over Brexit".

The article also says, "Already, a large number of HGVs from the North use ferry connections from Cork to get to Brittany in France and Santander in Spain. If a hard Brexit occurs, it is likely that increased HGV traffic will use the routes out of Cork".

At the risk of stating the obvious on this forum, Cork - Brittanny and Cork - Santander are BF routes.  Makes the introduction of the Connemara look very prescient..

Article link is here:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ringaskiddy-boosts-customs-capacity-under-brexit-plan-942234.html

Ok, thanks.  95% of that was political, but the bit that was of potential relevance to BF is his forecast that Brexit might see a 50% increase in traffic using ferries at Plymouth.

Presumably he is expecting this to be traffic moving west from the Dover Straits rather than new custom (?).  Difficult to see how this spread west would get as far as Plymouth in those sorts of numbers, but if true then that sounds like potentially excellent news for BF.  I wonder whether the expected increase in traffic will be of a level that would bring the return of Plymouth-Roscoff to a 2-ship service back on the table?

Well, he also said that this was because of a failure to install necessary infrastructure, which I agree is scandalous (we’ve only had 3 years!).  But when the money is made available to deal with this (which I am sure it will be) it will become a soluble problem so probably just of short-term relevance.

Plymouth already has long delays when disembarking a full ship - the customs and immigration infrastructure is already inadequate and in need of upgrading.