BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

On 23/08/2019 at 07:57, Gareth said:

Yes, I’ve beed delayed there by at least an hour.  The infrastructure at Plymouth was not really designed for the modern ferries.  It was designed for ships the size of Cornouailles.  It’s in desperate need of upgrading (with or without Brexit - so it’s not really a Brexit issue).

Gareth - they have recently expanded the car lanes going onto the ferry, as well as using the freight area for passenger vehicles disembarking, essentially taking the number of border boothes from 4 to 6. that't not too bad?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Gareth - they have recently expanded the car lanes going onto the ferry, as well as using the freight area for passenger vehicles disembarking, essentially taking the number of border boothes from 4 to 6. that't not too bad?

Thanks hf, they must have improved things over the past year, which is good to hear. 👍

27 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Thanks hf, they must have improved things over the past year, which is good to hear. 👍

Err no it’s just as bad , cars still there on Wednesday waiting to go through border control 2 + hours after the Pont docked.

44 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Err no it’s just as bad , cars still there on Wednesday waiting to go through border control 2 + hours after the Pont docked.

And a large number of these passengers then possibly have an extended trip home due to the transfer from Portsmouth to Plymouth in the first place. If you live anywhere north east of London or south east of Oxford it makes driving up through France to the tunnel a much more attractive, and with at least two drivers, quicker option. Ed. 

It’s no better at Portsmouth though Ed - or it wasn’t last time I was there.  No shortage of booths, but like Neil said, not much point in having them if they’re not manned.  Looks from what Neil posted as if Brexit might result in the problem being sorted out though, which sounds promising.  

According to the very latest (August 2019) list of pet travel approved routes. See here we can bring our dog back from Caen to Portsmouth via P&O Ferries..  But if she comes back Via Le Havre she must travel in a vehicle, by implication this suggests that on all routes she can come back as a footie or a pawie.?

Oh if only dear Boris/ Micheal (Gove), It would be great to have some competition, at least the price might start to go down then.

It warms the cockles of my Heart , to know that Her Majesty’s Government, have a collective finger on the pulse of what really goes on, and what really is possible in the real world, and not the Imaginary one, Westminster based, that they  inhabit.

Come on Mr Cummings, as you know Brexit is a very simple thing, sort it out.

• Haha 1

They can’t get delays disembarking at Plymouth to under 2 hours just now so I wonder what the “resilience panel “ does ? Build more booths with no staff to man them ? Genius!

They can’t get delays disembarking at Plymouth to under 2 hours just now so I wonder what the “resilience panel “ does ? Build more booths with no staff to man them ? Genius!

If I rightly recall, there might have been some speculation earlier in the year about the re-introduction of duty-free allowances.  So, it's now been confirmed, in the above link, that a no-deal Brexit means that duty-free will be available to sea and air travelers on routes between the UK and Ireland.  

One of the few positives of Brexit, the return of duty free. This would definitely help DFDS from Newcastle and other long haul North Sea routes. However,  duty free is already possible to Norway but no other ferry company has returned to that route yet so it's positive effects maybe marginal to say the least.

In my recent experience a 1 litre bottle of whisky in the duty shop at the airport can often be bought cheaper in Sainsbury. And I do wonder if the potential market is there any longer as younger people are dringkng less these days. Times have moved on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I think you are exaggerating but I will time it for you disembarking from Pont Aven in ten days time. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, wortley said:

I think you are exaggerating but I will time it for you disembarking from Pont Aven in ten days time. 

I was thinking similar Wortley but coming off the Pont I've never been one of the last off, I have off the Arm and just relaxed, it didn't take to long.

1 hour ago, wortley said:

I most definitely am not have a look at BFs Twitter feed , plus I saw it myself last Thursday, obviously some are lucky but there’s a load of cats that take well over an hour. Im on the Armorique tomorrow so will see before you.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

Plymouth has half the amount of booths as Portsmouth which discharges roughly the same amount of passenger vehicles per crossing... The ships still only arrive one at a time. Plymouth also suffers from a having a narrow twisty exit road.

Maybe BF should look to promote a balanced approach, a bit of traffic management if you like... Why not release pax vehicles in multiples of 100, they have RT coverage which means they release the next load when those in the booths tell the ship they are down to say 20? Moving at a constant  5-10mph is better than sitting there either staring at a brick wall or the side of a shed.

Plymouth has an advantage over Portsmouth, there's no traffic lights 20 metres ahead of a search shed which means vehicles back up if they don't hold a large number of them port side... if traffic builds at the Millbay Road roundabout no one can then blame the port or any of the staff.

Me, personally I couldn't care less. Life's too short to get stressed over inconsequential matters I have zero control over. It takes us 5-6 hours to get home anyway, another hour or so makes no difference. We share the driving and I'm more than happy to stuff my face with a further Burger King offering or a king size Costa custard cream.

I've never really understood why foot passengers hang around the ship exit about an hour before arrival or why drivers trip over themselves rushing down steps as if they've been told to abandon ship only to sit in the car for an age as the ferry is still bouncing on her bow thrusters. 

Another head scratcher is that for all the teddy throwing which has been going on for a few years now I note that many of the more vociferous objectors to the Plymouth delays are still using the port to sail to Brittany which for me kind of negates their argument.

• Like 1

Well if some people are happy to sit contemplating their naval for 2 hours that’s up to them , with a 7  plus hour drive and getting off at 2130 it means the difference between booking a hotel in Gloucester if we are through Border control quickly or a hotel in Plymouth if we are still staring at exhausts at near on midnight, and this getting home for Saturday early afternoon or early evening, I’ve better things to do that put up with poor Border control without having a good old moan on here 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Well if some people are happy to sit contemplating their naval for 2 hours that’s up to them , with a 7  plus hour drive and getting off at 2130 it means the difference between booking a hotel in Gloucester if we are through Border control quickly or a hotel in Plymouth if we are still staring at exhausts at near on midnight, and this getting home for Saturday early afternoon or early evening, I’ve better things to do that put up with poor Border control without having a good old moan on here 😉

Go from Portsmouth then, I wouldn't go anywhere near Plymouth because of the border delays.

Edited by jonno

I suppose Plymouth is actually quite a good place to contemplate the naval.

Of course if you were referring to studying your omphalos that would be different. Apropos of nothing, last week I had the priviledge of examining the bellybutton of the world at Delphi. It was ferry impressive.

Omphalos.JPG

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3