BobCrox

Brexit effect on BF

11 minutes ago, LHCity said:

French news about Le Havre / Portsmouth route :

https://actu.fr/normandie/havre_76351/terminal-ferry-port-havre-inquietudes-approche-brexit-citadelle_19738743.html

transfer confirmed of NORMANDIE and commissioning of the pedestrian bridge of Le Havre cross-Channel terminal.

Thanks. This paragraph from the article might explain why Etretat was absent from Le Havre two weeks ago. 

'Des travaux ont été réalisés sur le terminal de la Citadelle pour permettre l’installation d’une double passerelle, nécessaire à l’embarquement des passagers sur le Normandie.' 

Basically it says that work was carried out on the terminal building to put in place a dual walkway (double level or double width isn't clear) required to take foot passengers across to Normandie when she begins operating from the port.

Ed. 

LH has always had a double-deck berth for vehicles since that terminal was built. The passenger ganyway though I only ever recall being used on the P&O ships and probably needs some adjustment to fit.

Not sure where to post this, if we leave Europe in March, I am not clear re driving licences.

It is clear than an International Driving permit will be needed for Ireland (friction-less !), Spain ,+ a few other places.(Cyprus, Malta) that have only signed the 1949 convention.

However for France, Germany etc, there is contradictory advice.

• The UK state that an IDP will be needed for France etc.
  • The  EU document implies that a UK driving licence is sufficient for Countries that signed up to the 1968 Vienna convention.
  • The 1968 Vienna convention says that as long as a national licence is compliant with the convention it will be accepted on it's own.

The UK Photocard appears to be fully compliant with the convention.

Hopefully things will become clearer over time, however for now it might be a good idea to swap to a photocard licence.

Sources:-

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/680358/MS1.2018_CM9570__Convention_on_Road_Traffic_PRINT.pdf

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal/driving-in-the-eu-if-theres-no-brexit-deal

Edited by David Williams

An IDP is no problem, minimal cost and easily obtained..simply can't see a problem..if that's what they want fine..I of course expect the UK to do likewise..

21 minutes ago, Paully said:

An IDP is no problem, minimal cost and easily obtained..simply can't see a problem..if that's what they want fine..I of course expect the UK to do likewise..

They're not "doing" anything though. The UK is withdrawing from existing arrangements so visiting Britons simply revert to the various countries' laws for non-EU citizens.

8 hours ago, hhvferry said:

They're not "doing" anything though. The UK is withdrawing from existing arrangements so visiting Britons simply revert to the various countries' laws for non-EU citizens.

Fine by me

13 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Report in todays's Times suggests that if hiring a car in th EU the hire company may choose not to require an IDP.

It is either legally required or not, it should not be a hire company decision,

For Spain and Ireland it is clear, we will need a 1949 IDP as well as the driving licence - that will cost £5.50 per person per year and require a photo and a post office visit.

For France, Germany etc,,, the advice is not clear - the UK say that we will need to buy a 1968 IDP ( a different document), the EU seems to say a national driving licence is ok, the convention seems to say a compliant photocard national licence is ok.

14 minutes ago, David Williams said:

It is either legally required or not, it should not be a hire company decision,

For Spain and Ireland it is clear, we will need a 1949 IDP as well as the driving licence - that will cost £5.50 per person per year and require a photo and a post office visit.

For France, Germany etc,,, the advice is not clear - the UK say that we will need to buy a 1968 IDP ( a different document), the EU seems to say a national driving licence is ok, the convention seems to say a compliant photocard national licence is ok.

Call me a cynic, but I'd guess each company will end up with a different (and/or wacky) interpretation of the law. Just look at the variation of ways companies use (or hide behind) data protection as an excuse.

£5.50 compared to the price of a ferry ticket doesn't seem very much. Perhaps the sensible thing to do would be to obtain an IDP now regardless of whether it will be needed or not. I don't understand those that have faith in the Mail or the UK government to get information right. The track record of either is not very good. Best not to take the risk of being left on the quayside I would have thought.

6 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Perhaps the sensible thing to do would be to obtain an IDP now

I don't believe that the 1968 version is available until February and around that time the number of post offices that will sell them will increase (AA and RAC won't be able to do them any more). Note that you may need to buy 2 versions depending on the Countries visited. A green card from the insurer will also be needed.

I suspect that the forthcoming situation regarding the use of UK driving licenses in Ireland will be regularised as part of the emergency, "No Deal Brexit", legislation currently being prepared by the Irish government.  Thousands of Northern Ireland/UK drivers cross the border daily and with 300,000 UK nationals living in Ireland it is probable that many are driving on their UK license.  Expect this aspect to be sorted out by 29 March or shortly after.   

16 hours ago, David Williams said:
  • The 1968 Vienna convention says that as long as a national licence is compliant with the convention it will be accepted on it's own.

The UK Photocard appears to be fully compliant with the convention.

I've hired cars all over the world on my standard plastic UK licence. I think that the last time I needed an IDT was in 1968.

• Like 1

Although this topic i about the Brexit effect on BF, I think that, on the passenger side in particular, 2019 bookings are going to be more affected by other concerns such as:

Will my ferry depart at the times and between the ports as advertised? (and not break down!)

Will disembarkation/embarkation on the French side be affected by striking BF staff, striking port workers, bolshy fishermen or by the port being blockaded by thugs in yellow jackets?

Will my onward journey be compromised by blockades, protesting farmers burning tyres or over zealous Gendarmes enforing the new speed limits?

Will my return journey be subject to illegal imigrants attempting to break into my caravan or my family being traumatised by them running wild in the streets and making a last night hotel stay near the port something to be avoided?

This year we took the car down to the Loire Valley for a spring break. At the moment I wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing something similar next year.

And that's before you start to factor in any effects of Brexit. I'm not surprised holiday bookings for 2019 are down.

• Like 2

Spot on Colin.  We have refrained from booking a holiday in France next year for precisely those reasons.  Will happily head to Spain, as usual, but not France.  Much as I love the place.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Let's face up to it,none of us know what the rules are going to be when we leave.people have different views on the rules and even the governments have different views on it to.so us mere mortals have no chance at all.

Effect on B/F is that value of sterling has dived - and most of company income  is in sterling. Catastrophe. 

But I should have read the whole thread - that must have been said already  ! 

Seasons greetings to all.

6 minutes ago, Pilgrim said:

I'm more concerned about whether visas will be needed, personally.

The EU has said that as long as the UK allows all of the EU citizens to visit the UK without visas then we can go to Europe without them. However in a couple of years we would need the equivalent of an American ESTA to go to Europe

1 minute ago, David Williams said:

The EU has said that as long as the UK allows all of the EU citizens to visit the UK without visas then we can go to Europe without them. However in a couple of years we would need the equivalent of an American ESTA to go to Europe

Yep, that would be the ETIAS form, valid for three years of multiple visits and costing only a few quid per form. Comes in in 2021 if I remember rightly.

Basically you will still be able to vistit the EU but it will just be extra hassle, back to ye olden days. Progress I suppose. (Not!)

How did we ever get into this ridiculous situation? Looked at objectively the whole business is an utter nonsense.

But I suppose that's how wars start as well....

The effect of the likely collapse of sterling as the current gradual withdrawal of capital turns into a rout could hit us all very hard.

That said, following a successful run through France and into Spain, next year we are planning a run from St Malo to Geneva, on to Venice, then back up to our little house in Guemene.

Should keep us amused for a couple of weeks.

We did run into the Gillets recently and while it was kicking off in Paris the demonstrations we saw were massive, effective and peaceful. The local people are showing, when you vote for something, your decision turns out to be wrong, the government says "stuff you we are doing it anyway" people can still come together and force a change of direction. There might be a message there somewhere.

Rhys

yes it must be a big worry for bf when most booking are paid in sterling,just wonder what there thinking is on the pricing in the future if there is a no deal on brexit and the pound crashes ?it will also be a big worry for us all if the pound crashes and will it effect our plans for trips on bf ferries and just stay at home.it makes you wonder what the future holds for us all.what a mess we are in.