UK withdrawal from the EU: Effect on BF

20 minutes ago, Gareth said:

BF aren’t really, either Jonno.  They just know that they can get away with passing that off in the current political climate and media narratives, and it sounds better than our ships are falling apart, our dockers are aways on strike, we spent a fortune on an unnecessary rebranding exercise, we’re paying an arm and a leg for a duff company with duff boats and a duff reputation, we’re pouring money down the drain to prop up a shipyard on the brink of bankruptcy, and we messed our customers around so much by meddling with the sailing times that all the money we received from the government has been spent on compensating them.

You missed off the bit about the fortune for the new website that`s worse than useless.Otherwise I think you have nailed it Sir..I noticed on Travelmole that DFDS have spent millions on re furbished lounges on their Dover Dunkerque route including new adult only ones that do look good. If you want to escape St Trinians on BF you have to get an expensive cabin. They are starting to look clueless.

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BF aren’t really, either Jonno.  They just know that they can get away with passing that off in the current political climate and media narratives, and it sounds better than our ships are falling apar

That’s a new level of low to call the most versatile ship BF has.

Posted Images

58 minutes ago, Gareth said:

BF aren’t really, either Jonno.  They just know that they can get away with passing that off in the current political climate and media narratives, and it sounds better than our ships are falling apart, our dockers are aways on strike, we spent a fortune on an unnecessary rebranding exercise, we’re paying an arm and a leg for a duff company with duff boats and a duff reputation, we’re pouring money down the drain to prop up a shipyard on the brink of bankruptcy, and we messed our customers around so much by meddling with the sailing times that all the money we received from the government has been spent on compensating them.

I can't agree with some of that. Roué is blaming the exchange rate since 2016 and is also blaming the referendum for losing 25 million a year for four years. I think we've proven that they haven't lost 100 million and they're spending more than five times that.

I do agree with the website, rebranding, the political issues in France and that they're charging premium prices to travel on tonnage which is more or less styled for the last century and they have zero appetite to do anything about it.

Exchange rates are volatile things. Over the lifetime of perhaps 30 years for a Bretagne replacement GBP to Euro rates will go up as well as down. All manor of other things will be taken into consideration when deciding whether to finance any new ship.

The captain of the Titanic hit an iceberg. Stupidity or accident probably not one of those things that was contemplated when financing of the ship was discussed. Had the captain openly said that in 10 months time he was going to deliberately seek out an iceberg and run his ship full steam ahead at it then I suspect there would have been no prospect of finance being made available even if half the passengers thought it would be a good idea.😀

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, jonno said:

I can't agree with some of that. Roué is blaming the exchange rate since 2016 and is also blaming the referendum for losing 25 million a year for four years. I think we've proven that they haven't lost 100 million and they're spending more than five times that.

I do agree with the website, rebranding, the political issues in France and that they're charging premium prices to travel on tonnage which is more or less styled for the last century and they have zero appetite to do anything about it.

As previously discussed he didn't say they had made losses of 100m, the 25m per year was the turnover reduction attributed to the fall in exchange rates.

• Like 1

I think the point is that exchange rate may well be a part of the story, but there’s certainly a lot more going on than that and it’s not the only factor.  It’s just the one that makes good (and, from a PR point of view, acceptable) headlines.

• Like 2