UK withdrawal from the EU: Effect on BF

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BF aren’t really, either Jonno.  They just know that they can get away with passing that off in the current political climate and media narratives, and it sounds better than our ships are falling apar

That’s a new level of low to call the most versatile ship BF has.

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, nodwad said:

yes it must be a big worry for bf when most booking are paid in sterling,just wonder what there thinking is on the pricing in the future if there is a no deal on brexit and the pound crashes ?it will also be a big worry for us all if the pound crashes and will it effect our plans for trips on bf ferries and just stay at home.it makes you wonder what the future holds for us all.what a mess we are in.

There must be some advantages to BF surely. Two and a half years ago some here were very vocal about all the advantages to be gained. Today they don't seem quite so eager to extol the virtues of decisions made then. If BF have to close routes or cut back on the number of sailings currently made I'm sure the value of the £ will be a major consideration as has been said.

4 minutes ago, Paully said:

Looking at where this is going, would it not be better placed in the Club section?

The thread is Brexit effect on BF. If you can't discuss matters pertinent to the thread title what can you discuss anywhere?

• Like 1

The people in BF towers are taking a longer term view of things, it might be hard for a while but eventually it will settle down.  I keep seeing things online that things are not as rosy as we are led to believe in the Euro area, if the Euro goes down suddenly BF are looking good again.  Before the referendum the experts were saying the pound is to high, now it's come down where they want it, it's all doom.

• Like 1
On 22/12/2018 at 13:33, Solo said:

The people in BF towers are taking a longer term view of things, it might be hard for a while but eventually it will settle down.  I keep seeing things online that things are not as rosy as we are led to believe in the Euro area, if the Euro goes down suddenly BF are looking good again.  Before the referendum the experts were saying the pound is to high, now it's come down where they want it, it's all doom.

Our point is it cannot be good for bf if the pound crashes,never mind what has been said in the past it is what is going on at the moment and the future that counts.iam sure bf would want a strong pound than a weak one because it effects there customers has well has bf.

1 hour ago, nodwad said:

Our point is it cannot be good for bf if the pound crashes,never mind what has been said in the past it is what is going on at the moment and the future that counts.iam sure bf would want a strong pound than a weak one because it effects there customers has well has bf.

Yes it's so bad that we should advise BF, Stena, I.F, P&O, DFDS, Tilbury, Immingham, Southampton, Calais, Le Havre and Felixstowe to cancel all of their expansion and new build plans as they clearly know less than the economic experts on here.

The Irony being that at the moment it's the decisions being made by an ongoing EU member, Ireland, which will directly effect @Fine Wine's business. 

Edited by jonno
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, jonno said:

Yes it's so bad that we should advise BF, Stena, I.F, P&O, DFDS, Tilbury, Immingham, Southampton, Calais, Le Havre and Felixstowe to cancel all of their expansion and new build plans as they clearly know less than the economic experts on here.

The Irony being that at the moment it's the decisions being made by an ongoing EU member, Ireland, which will directly effect @Fine Wine's business. 

If that is the case by you ,what is the point of having this thread on the site for.?i thought the whole idea was for members to express there views on this subject or Iam I missing some thing? Looking between the lines you are talking about different points of views on brexit and has far has i know the subeject was about the effect of brexit on bf.?that is only what I think what brexit means to bf with a weaker pound does to there business .ps merry Xmas and a happy new year

3 hours ago, jonno said:

That's a very interesting point.

BF and IF seem to be taking very different strategies. BF are experimenting with new intra-EU routes, whilst IF seem to be moving away from it.

I would imagine that leaving the customs union would make the land bridge less attractive and therefore closing Eire - France routes appears a bit presumptuous, BF are certainly betting the other way.

5 hours ago, nodwad said:

If that is the case by you ,what is the point of having this thread on the site for.?i thought the whole idea was for members to express there views on this subject or Iam I missing some thing? Looking between the lines you are talking about different points of views on brexit and has far has i know the subeject was about the effect of brexit on bf.?that is only what I think what brexit means to bf with a weaker pound does to there business .ps merry Xmas and a happy new year

Don't look between the lines, there's nothing there.

Simple fact is that regardless of all the doomsday rhetoric maritime business is carrying on as normal, none of the shipping lines between the UK and Europe are pulling back, they're growing. It's the same for the ports, even Caen are expanding their trailer park for freight from Portsmouth.

Their forecasts seem to differ somewhat to what the media are constantly prattling on about. None of them are saying "Ok, let's wait and see".

There's no hesitation, no pragmatism, they're hard at it.

I used Irish Ferries as the example as they are expanding their tonnage offer to the UK whilst ending a route to France. They see more profit in increasing capacity to the UK not the EU regardless of anything being said by a no name individual clamouring for their 15 minutes of fame on the TV networks, online, or print media.

As for the thread, no I don't think it's pointless although I do think it's pointless going round and round in circles because in the here and now you know what effect brexit is having on BF, you can see it before your eyes... three new ships capable of carrying larger loads and an improvement to their route to Le Havre. 

As for the bookings, many sailing already have "sold out" on some of the cabin categories for June & July.

What if the pound crashes...? 

What if it doesn't, what if Italy decide to pull out of the euro and that takes a dive, what if the strikes, riots and protests continue in France... what if, what if, what if...?

• Like 2

i was just going to go on a rant,than stopped myself.i only read the newspapers and listen to the radio and watch the TVs and that is what I repeat on here.last one before Xmas.i think we should agree to disagree and I wish you and everyone on here a merry Xmas and a happy new year.

This is an article that confirms the hypothesis of a distribution of crossings between Ouistreham and Le Havre. https://www.tdg.ch/.../The-Brexit-donne-de.../story/25451592 With the Brexit, boarding / landing times will increase, so it will not be possible anymore provide 3 rotations per day in Ouistreham with only two vessels. We are clearly moving towards a reduction of the offer to 2 departures per day to Ouistreham (with Mont Saint Michel), an increase to 2 crossings per day from Le Havre (with Normandie) and a probable alternation of Honfleur between Le Havre and Ouistreham to ensure 2 departure on each side of the Channel. This confirms what I heard from a cadre of the port of Le Havre indicating the project of 2 crossings per day with Etretat and after, Normandie to the next Spring. We can also assume the return of a ferry link between Le Havre and Ireland? Le Havre is much closer to the Paris economic zone than Cherbourg and the need will increase between France and Ireland.

I understand your commitment to Le Havre but that’s just a set of assumptions which are not based upon any facts whatsoever, I would expect BF will still be able to get customers on and off the ferry in the same amount of time post Brexit whether they clear customs in the same time is another matter, also your assumptions don’t take into account a fact that has been pointed out here over and over again BF don’t own most of their ferries so can’t simply move them from port to port .

• Like 4

Yes, it’s not helpful presenting wishful thinking as “confirmed hypotheses”.  I agree that there could well be a demand for increased frequency of service to Le Havre, if a situation arises where Dover cannot cope and some traffic has to move west.  Le Havre and Dieppe would likely be the main beneficiaries of that.  But I can’t see any logic behind increased provision to Le Havre being at the expense of a reduced service to Ouistreham.  Ouistreham is the prime service and (provided the French authorities get a grip on the migrants) will continue to be the flagship shuttle route.

• Like 2

RE Ouistreham, the expansion of the trailer park mentioned earlier is part of the mitigation of the issues, BF will work with the authorities to unload / load the ferries in the standard time. It just may take longer to get out of the port afterwards. Note that they have already started the passport checks to leave France and are coping with that ok.

At least in Ouisterham they have some potential slack on the crossing which is normally filled up by sailing slowly at night, the actual crossing time could be 5:45 hours which is therefore only 17:15 hours of sailing in a day.

Re Le Havre, I hope that they are not going to run more crossings, I go to Le Havre in order to get more time in bed even though the Journey is longer than the one from Ouistreham. 

I don't see there being any problem, we keep being told all trade is going to stop with the EU, then we are told there will be major hold ups at the ports.  If you are running operation fear at least be consistent, either trade will drop making any hold ups less or trade will continue with longer hold ups.  One or the other will happen not both, plus of course none of us will be taking our cars or Motorhomes over because we won't be allowed to drive in the EU.  Be realistic.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Solo said:

we keep being told all trade is going to stop with the EU, then we are told there will be major hold ups at the ports

Trade won't stop, it will however be slower as some lorries need to be inspected and tax collected - that will require more facilities at ports (or close by) to manage it - that is why Ireland is purchasing land around it's ports and other Countries are doing likewise.

We will be able to drive in the EU, however there is likely to be more paperwork involved and the delay at passport control may get worse as they ask us more about why we are travelling and check the pre authorisation records, in addition we will probably need a green / red hanger for our car and have to go through customs.

Things will continue, however they will not be as seamless as before and the ports may well need more space to cope with it all or more ports brought into use.

Of more concern is our likely inability to return with boxes full of French Wine, however that will be partly mitigated by Duty Free on the boats (and the queues of old!)

Edited by David Williams
1 hour ago, David Williams said:

We will be able to drive in the EU, however there is likely to be more paperwork involved and the delay at passport control may get worse as they ask us more about why we are travelling and check the pre authorisation records, in addition we will probably need a green / red hanger for our car and have to go through customs.

I am old enough to remember traveling on assignment before we joined the EU. Spending time at the customs desk going through every item of equipment on a Carnet for an hour didn't half annoy the cars behind me.

2 hours ago, Solo said:

I don't see there being any problem, we keep being told all trade is going to stop with the EU, then we are told there will be major hold ups at the ports. 

No-one has said "all trade is going to stop with the EU". As it stands it will become more expensive both in time and direct costs therefore it will be less appealing so total volumes are likely to decline on both sides.

Foreseeing lower volumes of trade all taking significantly longer to clear the borders are not contradictory.

The UK's problem is that we are so reliant on imports for some key essentials and that large sectors of industry are reliant on JIT delivery. So border delays are especially troublesome. We cannot, unfortunately, extract ourselves from the modern world.

• Like 2

I am sure manufacturing/businesses in UK and Europe have already done a lot of homework and preparation on the effects their businesses would face for importing/exporting to/from EU and I would therefore assume that placing orders for key essentials would just have to be done earlier than they do at present. 

It must be very worrying for those at BF. Increased controls at ports will mean time and money which in turn someone will have to pay for.Either the customer or BF or both.The one thing that makes Brexit special is no one can predict what will happen after the 29th March.Perhaps after the vote in parliament in January things will be clearer.

3 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I am sure manufacturing/businesses in UK and Europe have already done a lot of homework and preparation on the effects their businesses would face for importing/exporting to/from EU and I would therefore assume that placing orders for key essentials would just have to be done earlier than they do at present. 

No doubt most businesses would see those plans as an expense they could do with out.

Do we know what the plans are at the BF ports? Many don't have any obvious extra space to absorb customs queues/checks.

On a BF trip a few years ago I got talking to a truck driver. He spent his life delivering turkey meat to France and returning with a truck full of chicken. He made 2 return ferry trips every week. It is that sort of traffic which Brexit will affect meaning that BF will carry less freight.

9 minutes ago, penguin said:

No doubt most businesses would see those plans as an expense they could do with out.

Yes I agree - but that's life after UK departure - they have to bite the bullet and do the best they can on both sides of the channel... no doubt will create a lot more jobs which cant be a bad thing....

5 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

Yes I agree - but that's life after UK departure - they have to bite the bullet and do the best they can on both sides of the channel... no doubt will create a lot more jobs which cant be a bad thing....

More jobs created from exra costs.......................?