zuludelta

Why do some people complain about the price of food served on BF?

I am always pleasantly surprised about the price of food served in BF self-service restaurants.

For the quality, it's actually cheaper than a lot of places on land (in France, Ireland, UK or in tourist Spain) 

Yet, there are people on TripAdvisor and other places online that grumble that the food on BF ships is too dear? Have these people even bought food onboard other lines like DFDS or ever bought a sandwich and a coffee at an airport...

I don’t fly and I haven’t used another international ferry company I’m sure there are plenty folk like me , why shouldn’t folk complain if they don’t think they are getting good value for money? In a captive environment.

I personally think it’s reasonably priced.

13 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I don’t fly and I haven’t used another international ferry company I’m sure there are plenty folk like me , why shouldn’t folk complain if they don’t think they are getting good value for money? In a captive environment.

I personally think it’s reasonably priced.

Seconded!🙂

Yes, BF prices are generally OK for what you get, especially the salads in the self service. Lots of prawns to dismember at a very reasonable price,

• Like 1

I can only speak for the Cap Finistere and the Pont Aven "proper" restaurants.  They seem to me reasonably priced for the quality, which I've always found to be excellent.  The Pont Aven buffet is truly marvellous, although it is tempting to over-eat.

I think its a matter of relativity. Food will always be more expensive somewhere where you have a captive audience; Sometimes people won't think of the quality just the price - Sometimes I think it is also a bit of grass is always greener - prices just look more expensive compared to what your mind says other places are, especially with no way to compare.

I do feel that BF is more reasonably price to other operators, and quality is good (breakfast compared to Dover Calais, I know where I would go).

Planes are another level entirely - £3-4 for a very scrawny sandwich...

• Like 1

Planes are another level entirely - £3-4 for a very scrawny sandwich..

If you are on a short haul flight then why bother to eat aboard? You can usually get something decent at the airport in civilised conditions and at the other end you can look forward to something more exotic if you are off on holiday.

All I want from a plane is enough legroom so that my knee doesn't lock up en route and that is hard to find these days. We flew to Athens earlier this year with BA and picked up a hire car for our drive to Epidaurus in the Peloponnese. Shortly after passing Corinth I had to pull over for a quick walk around as my leg was effectively locking up affter the cramped flight affecting my ability to drive. Unfortunately the layby proved to br the entrance to a Greek military base and we were quickly chased off by soldiers with rifles...🙄

For those of a certain age, ferry travel is so much more civilised and comfortable than flying toothpast tubes. A bit time consuming to reach Greece by boat though.

Planes used to be a lot more comfortable. The downside was that they tended to crash more frequently.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On ‎09‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:06, cvabishop said:

Planes used to be a lot more comfortable. The downside was that they tended to crash more frequently.

No pain no gain then Colin?9_9

• Haha 1

The engines are now so powerful that you can pack the fuselage solid and the thing will still get off the ground. 737 and A320/321 - small planes but high passenger density.

On 09/10/2018 at 23:06, cvabishop said:

That's wrong. They usually only crash once. 😀 Ed. 

• Haha 4

A landing is considered to be great if its one where you can use the aircraft again🤣😂

Edited by Paully
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would rather spend 12 hours with Thai Airways to Bangkok this weekend than 24 hours on a ferry across the Bay of Biscay  - even though the meals on the ship are better. 

33 minutes ago, wortley said:

I would rather spend 12 hours with Thai Airways to Bangkok this weekend than 24 hours on a ferry across the Bay of Biscay  - even though the meals on the ship are better. 

That's fair enough and no doubt there are many others of a similar view, but for me there is no comparison between enjoying fresh sea air, being able to properly stretch your legs and unwind in a proper bar or restaurant, versus being crammed in a modern airliner for several hours, breathing recycled air. I dare say it is better in premium or first class but I'm still firmly of the view that I will avoid flying wherever practical.

• Like 3

On 09/10/2018 at 22:06, cvabishop said:

Oh I dunno , there's only been around 450 mechanical air accidents in 95 years, the rest are down to pilot error, poor airframe design, (Comet 1 for instance), internal or external threat or mistakes made during maintenance.

In the two decades upto the 1960's loss was due more to a lack of understanding in terms of harmonic resonance, rotation fatigue and increased airspeed air frame stresses. For example large wings today positively flap in the wind compared to the more rigid structures on say something like a Connie and a 747's skin is comparatively loose on the ground to allow for 8000 feet worth of cabin pressure expansion. In the early day's of cabin pressure air frames would suffer sudden catastrophic failure again purely down to a lack of knowledge.

4 hours ago, cvabishop said:

The engines are now so powerful that you can pack the fuselage solid and the thing will still get off the ground.

They always have been as in part they need the thrust to get airborne. A Comet 4 could easily fly on one RR Avon. The pilots actually put a request in to switch the other three off during flights to conserve fuel but the EAA said no.

A 48 year old 747 from 1970 can just maintain low level flight on one engine provided the other three are at idle. It won't like it but will do it. The only difference with these beasts is that the rudder can't compensate if the other three are fully off. Many of the earlier 747's were powered by Rolls' RB211 which individually could hit 270 kilonewtons, one on each wing would have been more than enough. Same for the Tri Star, she had three of them but could fly on one. Other older multi engine jets like the 1960's 727 and DC10 could fly on one engine too..

The earlier derived late 60's early 70's GE's which are now CFM's could still hit 150 kilonewtons which is what they produce now for ten times the capacity of the first 737 Lufthansa's. The power was always there they just didn't have cheap enough air travel to attract the masses. 

The most significant change to bypass turbofans is that now their biggest threat is corrosion rather than wear and tear.

Different strokes for different folks. I know some people who would love to sit on a plane for as long as possible, for me it's just a means to an end. Certainly as I get older (and fly more) I now don't think much of doing a 9 hour flight so long as I know it's a semi-decent airline.

Back to the original topic - I do think BF's food is better quality and value than quite a few other operators. The difference I guess is that prices aren't obviously published (I think you can go digging). There's also a case of being a captive market - if you compare to a Dover route, for example, it's an easy choice to eat onboard or get something elsewhere. When you're on a 24 hour trip down to Spain, you're going to want to eat.

Other operators like P&O's and DFDS' North Sea routes are also pretty up front with prices shown as part of the booking process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Different strokes for different folks. I know some people who would love to sit on a plane for as long as possible, for me it's just a means to an end. Certainly as I get older (and fly more) I now don't think much of doing a 9 hour flight so long as I know it's a semi-decent airline.

Back to the original topic - I do think BF's food is better quality and value than quite a few other operators. The difference I guess is that prices aren't obviously published (I think you can go digging). There's also a case of being a captive market - if you compare to a Dover route, for example, it's an easy choice to eat onboard or get something elsewhere. When you're on a 24 hour trip down to Spain, you're going to want to eat.

Other operators like P&O's and DFDS' North Sea routes are also pretty up front with prices shown as part of the booking process.

I do enjoy the buffet's on both DFDS and P&O's North sea ships as much as BF's restaurant, DFDS especially. Scallops, the odd oyster,  langoustines and who doesn't love a Mr Whippy with a flake? Well worth £18 and as you say Jim if you pre pay during your booking it a bit cheaper.

• Like 1

The food offering on DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe has always struck us as simple, tasty, hot and good value for money. There have been no complaints from the Cabin-tribe. Ed. 

• Thanks 1

The buffet offering in BFs "a la carte" restaurants is superb value and excellent quality. Le Flora (Pont Aven) and Les Abers (Bretagne) offer a relaxed dining experience with great service. We have always found the wines reasonably priced too. No complaints here.

Edited by Tregastel

13 hours ago, Tregastel said:

The buffet offering in BFs "a la carte" restaurants is superb value and excellent quality. Le Flora (Pont Aven) and Les Abers (Bretagne) offer a relaxed dining experience with great service. We have always found the wines reasonably priced too. No complaints here.

My only gripe with the main restaurants is when you ask for a table for two and end up on a table for 4 with strangers. It's not that I'm anti-social, I just don't like other people!

Agreed, I’d hate that.  We do often chat with people on adjacent tables.  But somehow that’s different, and is a choice - there is always the privacy of your own table to return to when you want to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

I’ve never experienced that! Does that really happen Jim?  That’s not good.

It's happened to me several times on Bretagne - last time myself and Mrs Jim just stood up and went to the self-service. On one occasion I was with Andy and we have a very interesting conversation with those next to us who kept telling us lots of (incorrect) things about the ship and BF, we just smiled and nodded.

• Like 1

Just wait for them to go up to the buffet counter for more food and then switch salt and sugar pots around. They will soon find something else to talk about. Problem solved! Ed. 

• Haha 1